Driver side window fell down into door and won't roll up
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Driver side window fell down into door and won't roll up in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was rolling my window up and heard a noise, the window slowly rolled itself back down into the door. ...
    4teaters is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Cadillac DeVille

Driver side window fell down into door and won't roll up

I was rolling my window up and heard a noise, the window slowly rolled itself back down into the door. I can hear the motor work when I try and get the window up but nothing happens. I talked to a dealer and they said something about a tape that may have broken? Does this make sense? Does this sound like something other than the regulator?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: Driver side window fell down into door and won't roll up

Quote Originally Posted by 4teaters View Post
    I was rolling my window up and heard a noise, the window slowly rolled itself back down into the door. I can hear the motor work when I try and get the window up but nothing happens. I talked to a dealer and they said something about a tape that may have broken? Does this make sense? Does this sound like something other than the regulator?
    -------------------------
    THAT is the famous Deville Pop-N-Drop window -

a crappy designed regulator -

couple choices - depending on YOUR abilities -

remove the regulator -
    and PERMANENTLY repair it yourself -
    with 2 large cotter pins -

remove the regulator yourself -
    and replace with a new regulator -

take it to the dealer -
    and pay through the nose -

===============

what's your flavor?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

The repair procedure Bass speaks of is spelled out in the Tech Tips section.

GM_Ridin' is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 cadillac deville dhs
    Not sure of these cotter pins bass speaks of but I'm really curious and intrigued to know what they are.

But on the other hand diy is actually very easy I had to do this on my passenger rear window.

Here is a link that shows you a step by step

Deville window regulator: http://youtu.be/S2qsjXrzmgA

DSNCB919 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Cadillac Seville 2003 Cadillac DTS 2010 DTS Platinum
    Cotterpin trick worked for me back when I drove an 03... though I always did somethinf wrong where I couldnt open door from inside anymore

70cougar is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 DTS, 70 Cougar conv

Quote Originally Posted by GM_Ridin' View Post
    Not sure of these cotter pins bass speaks of but I'm really curious and intrigued to know what they are.
    See this thread, post #38. Works great and lasts indefinitely, unlike replacing the regulator which comes with the same flimsy part that is prone to failure.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...r-howto-3.html

GM_Ridin' is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 cadillac deville dhs
    Quote Originally Posted by 70cougar View Post

See this thread, post #38. Works great and lasts indefinitely, unlike replacing the regulator which comes with the same flimsy part that is prone to failure.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...r-howto-3.html
    Thanx for the link looks simple enough. Wish I knew about this before I replaced my regulator. Good thing I got it from the junkyard for less than $20. But when this happens again I know what to do for way cheaper and a permanent fix. Why didn't GM think of this?! Lol.

onelove6366 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 DeVille Concours

Well it looks like my husband will be trying the cotter pin technique this evening. Just had the pop and drop happen when I was putting the window up when going into the bank. Rear passenger window. Hope it doesn't rain this afternoon before he gets home. This happened as I was raising the window so it didn't fall all the way down in but it keeps slowly sliding down as it sits. So, I have to keep going back outside to pull it up. Think I'm going to try to find something to hold it for a little while because it's a pain in the butt! Thanks for the tips!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Duct tape

RVMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02 Seville STS

Those dang Deville windows, you have aircraft quality window motors in one of the best sealed door panels I've ever worked on and the
    whole window function relies on a 2 cent piece of the crappiest plastic in the industry.

I ended up doing all 4 doors on the Deville I had. I bought it with one bad regulator and I did a self fix on it the first day I had it.
    The second one I bought a regulator at Oreilly's because I was 200 miles from home and it was starting to rain. Lucky I ALWAYS carry
    a tool bag in the trunk. I changed it in less 25 minutes under an Oak tree as the rain came on. Talk about motivation.
    After that I got pro-active and did self fixes on the other two.

I think the Cadillac "Injuneers" went to the makers of the cheapest pen manufacturer and asked them for the plastic blend of their
    cheapest quality pen to use in these window regulators, you know those pens that the first time you flex the pocket clip it shatters.

knotgoalie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 DHS, 99 F150 4x4 SCAB

I'm going out to buy cotter pins right now...my RF popped last night. I hope it isn't screwed up too badly because my passenger kept pressing the button to work the window after the pop...she didn't understand "stop" for some reason

J.R.

houg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): deville

i just epoxed mine, besides i dont get the cotter pin repair because the cotter pins dont sit close the the lead ball, there is a space - void so the ball has to travel a little before it hits the cotter pin, how is this space taken up???

just take them all apart and epoxy them before they break

knotgoalie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 DHS, 99 F150 4x4 SCAB

^A fishing weight can be crimped on to the cable next to the bead to take up the slack between the cotter pins. I have mine all ready to go back in so I'm taking a break to let the JB set for a while. Total cost, .30 for hardware and $5 for JB Weld that I needed anyway. Just for my own info, I did price a regulator at the local NAPA...$145 w/o motor and they would have to order it

Update - The regulator is back in and working like new

J.R.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.