Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Car runs, yet battery drains.

946 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  NPolonski 
#1 ·
The car starts and everything is fine, but after 5-10 minutes of running idle or driving the battery is drained, but the car still runs- no electronics of course. New battery.

What could be the issue?

#5 · (Edited)
For some reason these cars don't throw codes for alternators, until the battery light comes on and by then the car is completely dead. Very convenient. With the inconsistency of the voltmeter, (as it seems) the only way is to have a battery / charging system check at oil changes. My 2 cents. Worth only 1 cent.. Lol.

#8 ·
That happens with most cars. The battery light almost always means alternator. And for most cars that means the car is already stranded on the side of the road. But the 79 series battery takes a while to drain.

In this guys case, my guess is the alternator was probably putting out around 12 volts. Also, I'm not sure about Caddy's, but I thought the Computer in the car freaked out and would shut down if the battery was actually dead (only in the case of a dead cell?)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.