Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Old style crest and wreath on the grille for new style. Possible?

2K views 30 replies 3 participants last post by  scanssystems 
#1 ·
Is it possible? I know designs are different. But who knows.. maybe pins are matching.. Can anyone advise? Possible?

#4 ·
I changed my 2002 STS grille emblem and wreath back to the old "ducks" type. Yes, the grille mounting surface and locating pin holes are slightly different. Takes a tad of ingenuity ...........but you have to look really hard to tell anything is "wrong".

Find the eBay store for BiggDaddyCaddy - real GM/Cadillac stuff but not cheap............ and do some measurements - the wreaths and crests come in different sizes for different cars/models.

Please excuse the plastic chips and dust.

#6 ·
Read my statement addressing that question ........................

No, it is practically impossible to see that the crest-shaped mounting surface is a tad wider than the "ducks". If I had taped off the surrounding grille and sprayed the crest mounting surface semi-gloss black you could never see the difference.

Save this to a file and do some experimental PAINT work.

#11 · (Edited)
Just went out to the garage and compared the old and new.

The "old" ducks crest is just about 1/8" smaller in overall frontal size and is exactly twice as thick as the "new" staggered bars crest, so - yes, the "old ducks" stick out about 1/8" further than the "new" crest.

EDIT: at 1505 EDT - Piqued my interest, so went back to the car and used a fine-tip black Sharpie to black out the (tiny) body color edge at the sides of the crest. My former "semi-gloss black" idea still holds water.

#12 ·
The newer emblem is slightly shorter and wider than the old one.

If you're installing the older emblem on a newer grille, it'll look like it does in the pictures.

If you're installing a newer emblem on an older grille, you'll see body color above the top of the crest instead of to the sides.

If you want a colored emblem, get one from an SLS.

If you want a silver/black emblem, get one for an STS.

#15 ·
I have no body parts info for your car - that will come from some dedicated internet searching and/or maybe, just maybe, a GM/Helm service manual set for your car.

If you'll look through the 60 or so pages of BiggDaddyCaddy (he's in NJ, BTW) you'll see the number of different, but close, wreath/crest combinations is bewildering. And they all have different P/Ns.

Look at my picture in Post #4 again - the amount of grille surface overhang is modified, visually, by the sides of the chrome crest.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.