Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1999 Deville Negative Battery Cable

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  RomoRock3r 
#1 ·
The negative battery cable on my 1999 Deville seems worn. The black plastic cover around the battery screw isnt there and I see green corrosion around the crimped copper. The connector to the negative terminal also seems corroded.

As for battery voltage, I bought a new Everstart MAXX from walmart in June. My previous battery was a Diehard Gold which I bought on July 2007. It always started the car good but I decided to replace it because of age. When I measured the voltage of the new battery, it was 12.49 with a multimeter. This means it was ~80% charged? The manufacturing sticker also said June 2014. I put it in my car and it started fine. But the running voltage seems low. Before starting, the battery voltage reads somewhere between 12.3 and 12.5. After starting the voltage goes to 14 -14.1V. However after driving, the battery voltage can stays in the 13.2 -13.7 range which seems low. These voltages were the same with the previous battery. Reading around the voltage should always be around 14.3 - 14.7V. It could be a worn alternator but the car never had trouble with charging.

The new battery always starts the car but sometimes the negative cable gets a little warm so I want to replace it.

RockAuto has 2 options:

This one is around ~$20 and has somewhat thick ends

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1597092&cc=1352865

This one is ~$35 and has thin ends, This looks like the one closest I have in my car

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=81897&cc=1352865

Which one do I choose? This is a Base Deville and has the standard Alternator (140Amps?).

See less See more
#2 ·
Take your cable to battery place and have them make you a new cable, for 25-30 bucks you can have an excellent cable with heat shrink made of a thick gauge. If you want to just buy one, either will get the job done, I would put heat shrink on what ever one you get.

I made a new one few weeks back from a heavy gauge neg cable I had laying around.

#4 ·
So today I tried to remove the lower nut that screws next to the engine and it is fully rusted. Even thjough I sprayed WD-40 for a few days prior, it wont budge. I bought some PB Blaster and will try spraying that to remove the nut.

Since that nut is rusted, I bought a new nut based on the part number 11609746. It is also Part 007 on the parts diagram. Searching around it says that this nut is a M 8x1.25 nut. I bought some at home depot but it seems they are too small for the bolt that is screwed next to the engine. It does seem to fit the bolt near the top of the battery. Is there another measurement available for that nut?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.