Cadillac Owners Forum banner

94 deville 4.9 blowing ac compressor fuse

8K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Hartlyboy 
#1 ·
First time posting, but have learned a lot just reading these threads. AC worked fine, even though car sat for a while before I got it 6 months ago. One day no cold air, check fuse under hood, blown 10 amp fuse for compressor. Replace fuse, clutch engages for 10 seconds, sometimes a minute, then blows again. Pull connector from compressor, check for damaged wire (tucked behind support), no visible damage. Put in new fuse, turn on ac, does not blow fuse with compressor unplugged. Plug back in, blows fuse after few seconds of ac. I'm guessing compressor is bad, but I can't invest that much into a $1,000 car. Could a relay cause fuse to blow? Thanks in advance. Kenny

#2 ·
It sounds to me like the A/C clutch coil is shorting. I believe you can replace just the clutch itself. Unplug the connector and check the resistance of the clutch coil. My suspicion is that you're going to see a pretty low reading, which will indicate the coil is indeed shorting.

#4 ·
Yup, it's the clutch not the compressor, BUT be advised, if you are going to do this job yourself, you need some special A/C tools to remove and replace the clutch. They can be borrowed from AutoZone or any other parts chain that has a Loan-A-Tool program.

#6 ·
What should the clutch coil resistance be? Mine has been temporarily fixed with a new relay and a 15A fuse but I'd like to get it back to stock and she is still showing 12A at the fuse block. I have several clutch removers from other cars we've worked on, but the set-up on my '95 looks like it will be a tight fit, even if one of the clutch removers happens to fit or we can borrow one from an auto store.

#7 ·
Ive done this job and what you do is remove wheel and plastic fender liners to access the compressor. Then if you still have clearance issues with the tool remove the 3 engine trans subframe bolts on that side and gingerly lower that side of the engine just enough to so what you need to.

#9 ·
What do you guys think of Hartlyboy's switch to a 15 amp fuse? If it is drawing around 12 amps, will the wiring hold up? I know a bigger fuse is only masking the problem, but if I can get through the summer without starting a fire, a cheap, easy fix sounds good. Even though sending 150% of the rated juice through the wiring seems dicey. Thanks again for the info.

#10 ·
=======================================
What do you guys think of Hartlyboy's switch to a 15 amp fuse
I can't write what I REALLY think about this - "solution" -
for fear of being reprimanded - or banned -

putting it NICELY -
never - never - never NEVER - use a bigger fuse -

ya - it's ONLY going up 5 amps -
but that is 50% more -

#12 ·
No arguments about the 15A fuse not being ideal, but the cold air is too tempting on days like we've been having. Checked the wires and relay and see no abnormal temp. It is 2 amps over limits , though, and I'd like to get it back to OEM specs, -which is why I'm trying to diagnose the clutch ohms versus standard. Can't find that data yet. What should I see at the clutch connection with everything turned off on an operational clutch?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.