Trunk leaking on my 2005 DHS, PLEASE HELP!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Trunk leaking on my 2005 DHS, PLEASE HELP! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys. Recently bought my 2005 DHS at a dealership, and so far have had minimal problems. Recently discovered that ...
    DubcMalice is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan Deville, 2005 Deville DHS

Trunk leaking on my 2005 DHS, PLEASE HELP!

Hey guys. Recently bought my 2005 DHS at a dealership, and so far have had minimal problems. Recently discovered that I had some trunk leak issues, I have narrowed it down to where the leak is happening and I'm fairly confident I can stop the water from entering the trunk with a bit of caulking/sealing, but I wanted to ask for your opinions/advice first.... Looks like obviously somebody knew there was leaking judging by all the fresh putty applied around the inside of the tail light housing as seen in the 2nd photo. The only source of leaking I can find is the the red box in the 1st picture. It is inside the passenger side rear wheel well in the trunk. My question is... whats behind that? If I caulk more inside the trunk is there something on the other side of that sheet metal I cant see filling up with water? Or is everything on that other side draining out the wheel well on the outside? The 3rd picture shows some caulking in the drain groove has deteriorated which I will fix, but seems like the entry point of the water is above at the top where the water from the canvas top enters the drain groove that leads down to the bottom of the trunk. Can I apply a small amount of caulking there and solve/slow the problem? Any help is appreciated, not sure if this is a common problem with an easy solution, or if I just gotta caulk and test a few times. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Trunk leaking on my 2005 DHS, PLEASE HELP!

The only source of leaking I can find is the the red box in the 1st picture. It is inside the passenger side rear wheel well in the trunk. My question is... whats behind that?
    The wheel well. You might try using undercoating and seal it from the wheel side.

You can make that tail light seal look a lot better with a spray can of touch up paint.

Any evidence of body work? A body shop will see things you won't.

Thanks Ranger! That's what I was hoping... just didn't want to caulk and stop the leak that I can see, and have something filling up with water that I cant see or check. No body work in trunk area, just seems like the dealer or previous owner did a crappy job of testing after their repairs. Maybe I'll jack up that rear corner one of these days and do the outside as you suggested. Not too worried about the cosmetics of their crappy putty because all my trunk lining is in tact and looks nice, just had all of it removed so I could do a proper inspection on where water was entering.

dantemoravil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville base, 1991 deville (son), 1992 Deville (parent)

I found my leak on my 2001 deville base model trunk. in your picture number 3 do you see the blue under the black and silver of the fabric top (there is the another one on the other side of the trunk)? the top fabric shrinks and pulls up on the screw that is screwed down into that blue piece. it slowly works it way up and when it rains, water runs into the hole made. then runs along metal in the trunk (ending in spare tire area). One winter I had my spare tire encased in green ice (that is when I found out I had a leak, and had a leak for a long time.) to fix the leak I had I took out the 4 screws that hold down the top black fabric (2 go into those blue pieces) and add longer and wider screws and reseat that blue piece back down into its hole. the middle 2 on my car didn't look like they were leaking. Yours doesn't look like it had been pulled up, mine was up about 1/2 inch. then after reseating everything, I sprayed a little flex seal clear to help seal and keep any water out. worked great for me. Good Luck.

----------

if neither of those solutions work, then get in the truck with a flashlight and have someone water the car.

yes. I did this to confirm that my leak was sealed.

Mike

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Usually on trunk leaks, there will be a visible spot (if it's somewhere obvious you can see) where the water is entering.

Unless you have a sunroof, obvious places to look first:

1. trunk weather stripping and gutters
    2.rear bumper cover (that's right) on these model devilles when the bumper cover has been possibly removed the studs that pass through the rear body panel and quarter panels need silicone sealer on the suds/screws to prevent leaks.
    3. the license plate pocket. Again sealer around the studs that pass through the trunk lid.
    4. third brake light on the trunk. For some reason the third brake light likes to warp a little bit on the right side, lifting away from the trunk lid. Check for water intrusion there also.
    5. tail lamps.

Those are the obvious points

Quote Originally Posted by dantemoravil View Post
    the top fabric shrinks and pulls up on the screw that is screwed down into that blue piece. it slowly works it way up and when it rains, water runs into the hole made. then runs along metal in the trunk (ending in spare tire area). One winter I had my spare tire encased in green ice (that is when I found out I had a leak, and had a leak for a long time.)
    Mike
    I think this is exactly what happened. When I bought the car I looked and felt around in the trunk a bit, but honestly did not open the spare tire cover and take everything out, and when I did I discovered the water and started the process of taking out all the lining, drying, etc. My top is still seated pretty well, and after tightening all the gold screws I noticed only two of the trim screws are stripped, not the screws themselves but holes are too big now. I spplied some silicone sealant around the base of the top where those blue plastic tabs are, and also inside the trunk itself all along the water entry point. Hopefully will be good enough, maybe seal it from outside one day with wheel off.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.