What is the correct fuel pressure - 2000 DTS hard/no start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, What is the correct fuel pressure - 2000 DTS hard/no start in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; on a 2000 dts Northstar 4.6.... wont start DO have spark. checked FPR NO gas at vacuum line. fuel pressure ...
    kboroweic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 dts deville

What is the correct fuel pressure - 2000 DTS hard/no start

on a 2000 dts Northstar 4.6.... wont start DO have spark. checked FPR NO gas at vacuum line. fuel pressure is 35-38 with key on jumps up to about 42-44 when cranking

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: what is the correct fuel pressure

Quote Originally Posted by kboroweic View Post
    on a 2000 dts Northstar 4.6.... wont start DO have spark. checked FPR NO gas at vacuum line. fuel pressure is 35-38 with key on jumps up to about 42-44 when cranking
    ==========================
    39 to 45 - so - fuel pressure is not your problem -

check the fuses under the hood -
    #11 is ignition 1 -
    #16 and #21 are for the injectors -
    #15 is for the coil module -
    #19 is the Powertrain Control Module Ignition -

the other fuse box - under the back seat -
    has a couple fuses that could cause the symptoms also -
    #12 is ignition 1 -
    #29 is the ignition switch -
    #49 is ignition 3 relay -
    any/all of them could cause your problem -

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

41 - 47 psi running. Right from the GM service manual.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I don't think your problem is fuel related either. That fuel pressure should be plenty adequate to start the car.

thanks guys. I was gonna buy a fuel pump, but now i dont think i will. I will check all the above metioned fuses and let yo know.. AGAIN THANX

hi guys, I checked all the above mentioned fuses. Took them out and tested them with a meter. They are all good. Not sure if this helps or not, but after it sits, like overnite, I try to start it, sometimes it kinda backfires just a lil bit before going into just crank mode. After that initial BURST ??? it just cranks and cranks.
    Funny thing is it WAS running, albeit badly, until I replaced the plenum, it WAS cracked, the injector 0-rings. top and bottom, putting a drop of oil on them during the install makes it so much easier. THANX FOR THAT TIP. the intake gaskets and the throttle body gasket. I have removed and switched coil packs. As a matter of fact. I purchased short spark plug wires with lights in them and put them on the coil pack to the plugs. (4 at a time). As I crank it , I can see that there IS a ignition spark to each cylinder. I also replaced the camshaft sensor on the rear bank passenger side. That was a PITA . It did run after the sensor, but it quit starting after i did the plenum and intake . what could I have done ???

Re: What is the correct fuel pressure - 2000 DTS hard/no start

Did you reconnect all the vacuum lines properly?

Yep, I double checked that. the line from TB to Power Brake Booster, line from the TB to the FRONT Valve Cover. Double checked the Vac line from the inside of the Intake to the REAR Valve Cover. and the small vac line from the TB to the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Oh, BTW, I have also replaced the Fuel Filter ( under rear drivers side door... Anew thing came to light tonite,,,,, As I was cranking it, I decided to treat it like an old style carb car. I pumped the heck out of the throttle pedal. the engine ALMOST started. I let it rest a while, relieve the pressure on the fuel rail, and tried it again. pumping the heck out of the pedal. It ALMOST started again. do you guys think it could be fuel related even though the pressure is "correct" ?? Could the "sock" in the tank be clogged ??

As I was cranking it, I decided to treat it like an old style carb car. I pumped the heck out of the throttle pedal.
    Pumping the throttle on a computer controlled, fuel injected engine is futile. It does absolutely nothing. Holding the throttle to the floor is the "CLEAR FLOOD" mode. That shuts the injectors off while cranking.

I let it rest a while, relieve the pressure on the fuel rail
    If the system is working as designed, it should hold pressure forever.

Could the "sock" in the tank be clogged ??
    Possible, but not real likely. If that is the case (or the fuel filter is clogged), you'll have no (or low) fuel pressure.

thats what I thought too. I was just trying anything I could. This thing is just not starting. any ideas ??

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Why did you replace the camshaft sensor? Did you have a code for it? Where did you get the sensor from?

Check all electrical connections to throttle body, Air intake temp sensor, and ignition modules.

Yes I did have a code for the camshaft sensor. I bought it from O'Reiilys Auto Parts $45 replaced it when it WAS running BADLY. It did NOT help.

I have disconnected and reconnected all Vac lines and all electrical cables I can find.

the Coil Pack 8 pin connectors
    the 3 sensors on the Throttle Body
    the sensor on the Air Intake tube

re: the above reply from Basscatt concerning the fuses and relay, I swapped the relay for the one in position 51 (INST PNL) . since I did that I ,.lnow have a lot of codes mostly U codes but the one that concerns me is, the codes P0340 and P0341 are back. could it be because I pulled fuses and swapped relays.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

The code for the camshaft position sensor is usually p0340 if I remember correctly.

Yet, on devilles it's usually followed by p0385 and p0386.

I had all three codes at one time but I also read that the crankshaft position sensors on these things are flaky.

I never looked at the camshaft position sensor. I replaced the two crankshaft position sensors and all codes disappeared.

I suggest you try putting the old sensor back in (if you have it) and replace the crankshaft position sensors which unfortunately have a high failure rate.

I think you need to step back. We know you have fuel pressure, but are you getting fuel to the cylinders? Leave the fuel rail connected and lift it with the injectors connected. Have someone crank the motor for a couple seconds and see if the injectors are working and producing a fuel mist. If so, concentrate on ignition.

Alas, I do NOT have the old Cam sensor, DUMMY ME threw it out when I was cleaning my workbench. DUMB DUMB.
    I am gonna try the GREAT IDEA from RANGER concerning the fuel rail and injectors in the AM. I will let you guys know what the outcome is.
    ONCE AGAIN AND ALWAYS THANK YOU GUYS FOR BEING THERE

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.