Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2005 Deville air box modification

4K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  04GrandAmGT 
#1 ·
2005 Deville Cold air intake

I was going to make my own cold air intake for my 2005 Deville but I noticed that in the front part of the air cleaner box is what appears to be a computer and the set up looks like it is using the air flow going into the engine for cooling. If I by pass this box will this unit overheat? :confused:

#3 ·
Re: 2005 Deville Cold air intake

Your car has a perfectly good CAI straight from the factory - it already flows more air than the engine can handle at full throttle redline. The AC Delco filter - or any other pleated paper filter - is more that satisfactory.

Yes, fool with the airbox and the main PCM will overheat. Have a big checkbook.

Leave the cutesy "modifications" to the ricer bunch.

#5 ·

I replied to your "want more noise" PM with a few ideas from the Seville air duct work threads.

Please confine personal communications to PM and use the forums for car stuff so that everyone gets the benefit of advice or diagnosis. Thanks for the consideration.

#8 ·
As before - No.

If your car is a base model it has the 3.11:1 economy final drive and a 275 hp engine speed limited to 112 mph. Keep it clean, stock and enjoy the ride.

You're fooling with a little 279 c.i. engine detuned to run in a "luxury" body. It's tightly controlled by a PCM with no program facilities, no chips, no "mods". You have what you have. The VIN Y Northstar engine is smaller - physically and power-wise - than a 1964 Chevy 283 4bbl.

#11 ·

The only thing a CAI will do with these cars is give it that throttle roar. the factory intake flows more than enough to keep up to your engine.
That's what I was trying to get....lol.
I love the sound of a V8 sucking the air in. Seen as the factory air box flows more air then it can use I was hoping that there was a simple fix to keep the factory air box and just get rid of the noise cancellation properties.

#16 ·
If you have an itch for noise, have a GOOD exhaust shop mandrel bend a cat-back with 2 3/4" pipe and a pair of Flowmasters with righteous tips. Not cheap, a couple of hp up at WOT redline shift point, but loud.

As I posted before, you're stuck with a 275 hp engine and a 3.11 final drive speed limited to 112 mph and there's practically nothing you can do about that.

#17 ·
I wouldn't mind doing that at some point, having a nice throaty rumble to perk things up. I was looking at some pictures of the factory air box and it looks like I could cut out the tube that goes in between the 2 halves, make the hole bigger, and insert a bigger piece of PVC tubing. There would still be plenty of air flow for the computer and it might get rid of the noise cancellation. Any thoughts on this?

#18 ·

Fun project with no drawbacks. Do a clean job, seal the pipe to the new hole edges with RTV, spray it semi-gloss black and no one will know the difference. Drop in a WIX air filter. Steal a K&N or Spectre window sticker - they're good for 2.34 hp at idle, but only on the driver's rear door window. (TWO stickers gives less hp gain - added weight.)

#19 ·

Fun project with no drawbacks. Do a clean job, seal the pipe to the new hole edges with RTV, spray it semi-gloss black and no one will know the difference. Drop in a WIX air filter. Steal a K&N or Spectre window sticker - they're good for 2.34 hp at idle, but only on the driver's rear door window. (TWO stickers gives less hp gain - added weight.)
Damn, now only people on my left will know I have more HP.....lol.

#20 ·
It's ironic that this has come up in conversation about the stock air cleaner box.

I too contemplated modifying it but haven't spent enough time analyzing the box.

One thing I did pay attention to was the snorkel that empties into the box under the air filter.

If you air filter is a tad dirty ( this is perfect), you'll notice the distinct air flow "suction" pattern on the filter element. This is where the most air is being drawn in and also where the filter collects the most dirt/ causing a possible airflow restriction.

The snorkel looking face down could be possibly trimmed wider to disperse the air flow across the filter media. Yet, I haven't determined in that trimming will have any adverse affects on air flow velocity at different throttle openings.......

Just some observations I had on the stock box.

Sooner or later I'm going to tweak it but I've got other stuff I'm tweaking right now.

It functions, so I leave it be........for now.

#21 ·
if all your looking for is that sound, im sure if you spent enough time you could customize your own box to cool the PCM, and still have that Sound. i had a Short Ram intake on my grand am when i first bought it, just to have that throttle noise. went back to factory, but if its what you want i dont see the harm in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.