Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Best tires for a 2001 Deville base model?

8K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  MoistCabbage 
#1 ·
I just bought this 01 deville and it needs new tires, I know Michelins are good but I don't want to spend $700 are there any cheaper options that are as good as Michelin?

#2 ·
Your car is speed limited to 112 mph, so there's no point in buying tires more expensive than an S rating. Lots of people like many different tires for different reasons. Michelin seems to make a couple of most satisfactory tires for your car. I personally would not touch Hankook or Kumho with a 50 foot pole. Cooper makes some great tires. Don't rule out BF Goodrich either.

Doesn't tell you much, does it ???

Tire speed rating is the letter after the tire size on your driver's door sticker and is the speed limiter set into the car. No, it cannot be changed.

#10 ·
==========================
you couldn't give me a firestone/bridgestone or falken -

as for "house-brand" tires - no thanks -
UNLESS all your driving is strictly local - low speed -

if you consider the cost difference over 50,000 miles of use -
it just isn't worth saving a few bucks - and getting some el-cheapos -

your tires are the ONLY thing between you and the concrete -

#26 ·
I hate to dig up an old thread, but I was at Discount yesterday for a tire rotation and found out that the Discount Tire Arizonian Silver was at one time made by Kelly Springfield. Not sure what the problem was, but they are now made by Cooper.

I am going to need to put a set on my daughters SLS pretty soon (she may be moving to PDX), but, I am always a little leery when a brand name makes a product for someone else and won't put their own name on it.

#17 ·
I purchased the General Altimax RT43 tires for the Deville and they ride perfect! The total cost out the door with road hazard warranty was $551.00 and there is a $50 rebate. I took the car on a short 100 mile road trip in the rain last night and the ride is silent, handling is crisp and best of all the dreaded front end vibration is gone. I got the caddy up to 91mph and no vibration. I had never heard of this General Tire brand but apparently the new Altimax RT43 is rated as one of the best tires out there, glad I went with these.

#21 ·
My Deville had the Sumitomo HTR on it and they were awful, vibration in the front end at 60 mph. The tires still had tread but rode like crap. The previous owner told me he went the cheap route with those tires, I only kept them on for two weeks, they didn't feel safe.

#24 ·
FWIW, I did the last winter in central Ontario, snow country, with the Michelin Hydro Edge rubber that I bought it with and never had a problem let alone a stuck and those tires have easily two more years (for the mi. I put on them) left to go. I do like/trust Michelin for a Cadillac.

J.R.

#25 ·
For personal/family vehicles in which ride comfort is important I have stuck with Michelins for the past 15+ years. As long as your suspension and front end are in good shape I have found that those tires give me the best experience in value for the money and lack of problems. On the DTS I have the Defenders and am happy with them.

Vehicles that are not driven by caring/knowledgeable drivers I install whatever is the cheapest but still decent quality. In those vehicles the drivers tend to not notice and/or report suspension problems and tires wound up damaged rather than worn out. I get about 2 -3 years out of them on average. A better tire wouldn't make a difference.

So, as was said above, if just driving the car to death then go cheap. If you plan on keeping it and maintaining it then in the long run IMO a good Michelin is worth the extra money.

#27 ·
......... as in Stant or Gates radiator caps and thermostats in AC Delco boxes ? or DENSO spark plugs in AC Delco boxes ?

Some companies manufacture stuff - identical stuff - under contract to maybe a dozen different brand names.

There's a reason that some house brands are cheap or deeply "discounted". Duralast, for example.

#28 ·
......... as in Stant or Gates radiator caps and thermostats in AC Delco boxes ? or DENSO spark plugs in AC Delco boxes ?
No, that is not my worry.

There's a reason that some house brands are cheap or deeply "discounted". Duralast, for example.
This is.

DT - "Hey Cooper, make us a tire we can sell for xxx"
Cooper - "sure, we can cut some corners and cheapen it up to make a tire for that price, but we don't want our name on it"

Maybe just my suspicious nature :noidea:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.