My White Vibrator
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, My White Vibrator in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well I'm at whits end. Put a set of Michelin Symmetry's on at 98k. Smooth as glass. Started vibrating sometime ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

My White Vibrator

Well I'm at whits end.
    Put a set of Michelin Symmetry's on at 98k. Smooth as glass.

Started vibrating sometime after the first rotation between about 38-42 MPH. Pretty sure it's the LF.
    Back to Discount Tire for a rebalance.
    Vibration persisted.

Went to turn the rotors as the brake pads where changed at 82K, but the rotors where smooth so I left them.
    Rotors where worn too much (though still smooth) so against my better judgment, I replaced them.
    Vibration persisted.

At this point nothing left rotating but the hubs, right. There was the slightest (almost imperceptible) movement so again, against my better judgement I changed them as well.
    Vibration persisted.

Back to DT for ANOTHER balance.
    Vibration persisted.

Back to DT. "you need a Road Force balance, but ours is down", so I go down the road to the next store for a RF.
    Vibration persisted.

Gotta be the tire. So they order a new tire on 6/10 and replaced it today 6/11.
    Vibration persisted, though slightly less.

No vibration for the first few miles after sitting and while the vibration speed (38-42) is consistent, the vibration isn't (sometimes it won't vibrate).
    Wheels where checked by DT each time and no damage found and balance was said to be right on each time.
    The car has torque struts added so motor mount can be ruled out.
    CV boot is dry and there is no CV type clicking while turning.
    Vibration is not RPM related. Vibrated the same in neutral with or with braking.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: White Vibrator

I hesitate to respond to any thread with word vibrator in the title...

Then I saw it was you so here goes. Have you swapped frt/back tires/rims to see if it goes away?
    Any slop in the steering parts or worn control arm bushings?

Another long shot is I had similar vibration on my PA and drove me insane but it was more along the lines of the Seville shimmy at 60 or so usually and it ended up being rear rotors needed turned. Caliper might have been sticking or maybe pads weren't slotted correctly, anyways I would have(and still would) thought that the vibration was coming from the front. For a few bucks to have them turned mine went away. I had replaced rotors in frt, balanced tires many times, etc.

I hesitate to respond to any thread with word vibrator in the title...
    Figured it would be an attention getter. Remember "Ruby's Vibrator"?

Have you swapped frt/back tires/rims to see if it goes away?
    Not since the rotation. Didn't want to mask the problem, but may have to try that.

Any slop in the steering parts or worn control arm bushings?
    Don't think so, but haven't really checked. Been focusing on rotating parts. Nothing obvious when doing the hubs.

Rear pads & rotors are even newer than the front pads. Done at 90K.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Figured it would be an attention getter. Remember "Ruby's Vibrator"?
    Can't say I do, usually remember vibrators LOL.

Lewis98272 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '02 Eldorado ETC 85k miles / Past: '03 Deville; '02 STS

Ahhh, you are running into the exact same problem that I have been chasing for almost a year now... PLEASE let me know if & what you find out.

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

eddielnordman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 DeVille 4.9L (with skirts)

try suspenscion I had thae same problem tires helped but in to changing suspension

Not convertor since he said does in neutral also.
    I was th inking suspension also, even alignment out possibility. Given the mileage wouldn't be out of range of possibilities to have bad strut or worn bushing.

Aztec ETC ECS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '02 ETC ECS#533, '05 Escalade, '05 AWD Magnum, '74 455 OLDS

The cure:

04GrandAmGT likes this.

arctic_man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Concours, 1995 SLS

Jack up the car and grab the wheel and shake it? Maybe it is the ball joint or the tie rod ends? When were they last replaced?

But seriously, did you personally watch the run-out of the tires while on the balancer?
    Maybe the wrong tire was replaced & you have an egg.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

As suggested, I would start moving wheels around until you can pinpoint the culprit. Then replace the problem wheel with the spare and take for a test drive. If a problem wheel is confirmed, replace the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by arctic_man View Post
    Jack up the car and grab the wheel and shake it? Maybe it is the ball joint or the tie rod ends? When were they last replaced?
    Did that. No play, whether jacked from the control arm (weight on suspension), but wheel off the ground or jacked from the cradle with suspension hanging (weight off suspension).

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec ETC ECS View Post
    But seriously, did you personally watch the run-out of the tires while on the balancer?
    Maybe the wrong tire was replaced & you have an egg.
    I did not personally watch it, but I've been back there enough times that they knew what was going on and watched for out of round or run out on all 4 wheels and did make specific mention of no such thing found.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by drewsdeville View Post
    As suggested, I would start moving wheels around until you can pinpoint the culprit. Then replace the problem wheel with the spare and take for a test drive. If a problem wheel is confirmed, replace the wheel.
    Wheels where checked for damage each time and nothing found. Why (how) would a wheel suddenly go out of balance? Every rotating part has been replaced except the axle. Logic no longer seems to apply.

Well then... revert back to post# 9.

drewsdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2011 Crown Vic LX

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

Wheels where checked for damage each time and nothing found. Why (how) would a wheel suddenly go out of balance? Every rotating part has been replaced except the axle. Logic no longer seems to apply.
    "Checked" isn't a guarantee. The check was inconclusive, and that doesn't mean there isn't a problem... (just because the history books don't mention an absence of aliens at the signing of the Declaration of Independence doesn't mean that aliens were present).

That said, I suggest wheels because of the low speed of vibration. Generally, a balance problem won't show at that slow speed - a runout problem will.

Assume nothing. Since you still have a vibration and have isolated exactly nothing, you have no reason to believe that any conclusions drawn up to this point are even correct. Since the only thing that "slightly" changed the vibration was the tires, logic would point towards a problem on a wheel assembly. You've checked, rechecked and finally replaced the tires (which you can now eliminate as a possibility), but the wheels haven't actually been 100% eliminated as a possible cause yet. It costs you nothing to do some investigation via wheel swapping... If it nets no result, THEN you can rule out the wheel assemblies. Once you rule them out, you can stop worrying about them and move on to the next likely cause - continue one by one down the line. A methodical approach is the best approach. "Try this and try that" usually doesn't get far, and is quite expensive.

On second thought, haven't you mentioned your daughter also has a FWD Cadillac from the era? If so, and the car is accessible, there's your best chance - swap over her wheelset to your Deville. If the symptoms disappear, you have a faulty wheel. If they don't, your wheels are fine and you can look elsewhere with confidence. Easy peasey.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.