Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Head gasket advice

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  gostillerz 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I have an 05 DHS with 107k on it. Got it inspected last week, and started overheating going up hills. I checked the purge line and it was fine. Took it to my usual mechanic and it failed the block test. He's quoting me $2200 as best case scenario, but said I'd be better off selling it how it is.

Not really sure what to do and don't even know what it's worth. Ran perfect until the over heating. Interior is almost perfect, body is good except for a lot of scratches on the front bumper. Would it be better trying to find a lower mileage motor and swapping it instead of the just doing the head gaskets since it involves pulling the motor anyway?

#2 · (Edited)
If you like the car and the car is "worth it" to you, repair the engine. A top overhaul, using studs instead or inserts, is the long-term bulletproof solution. A used engine is a crapshoot - it could fail next week. Not a good idea from any angle.

Study the several sticky threads on the engine and other systems in the Engines; Northstar forum. you'll need some background knowledge before going off half-cocked.

Where are you ??? Many Northstar owners in here have experience with reliable cylinder block head bolt hole repairs and top overhauls. You may have an experienced shop in your back yard - and it takes someone who KNOWS these engines to do a first-rate job.

Please don't pour any snake oil into the coolant and further destroy the engine.

With engine failure the car is in POOR condition. Look up the closest pricing - for your area - in www.kbb.com

#4 ·
Yeah, that's why I bought an 05. But here I am with my luck. I'm in the Pittsburgh area. Starting to lean towards getting it fixed because I don't think the savings of the repair cost with the sale of it as is would get me a better car. And no, I won't use any of that miracle liquid.

My mechanic said that he's only done one of these before, and that has me a bit nervous. Are there any mechanics around me that have more experience?

The kbb value in fair condition (doesn't list poor) is $5800. I paid $4000 for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.