Removing Oil Cooler Lines
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Removing Oil Cooler Lines in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've got the radiator out since it was leaking and since my oil cooler lines are leaking also I thought ...
    kidzstang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '98 Cadillac Concours

Removing Oil Cooler Lines

I've got the radiator out since it was leaking and since my oil cooler lines are leaking also I thought I would take them out and have a local hose shop fix them up with new hoses but as with everything on a Northstar nothing is as easy as it sounds.

Obviously the radiator ends of the lines have been unhooked but as I try to loosen the oil filter adapter end of the hoses I see that the oil filter adapter is rocking a bit. It's not leaking there so I guess the gaskets are ok there but I'm afraid of breaking the oil filter adapter if I get as ballsy with the line connection as I think I have to.

So, I thought to myself, self, why don't you just take the oil filter adapter out and then you can get the oil cooler lines off of it on the bench? Not so fast there buddy I answered; there's not much room (whoda thought on a Northstar Caddi, no room?) and I don't have much confidence getting the oil filter adapter out of where it's at with the hoses attached with all of the other stuff around it (a/c lines, engine cradle, etc.).

Anyways, has anybody taken the adapter out with the cooler lines attached?

OR

Has anyone gotten pretty ballsy with the oil cooler lines and not broken the oil filter adapter?

I'll be interested to hear. Meanwhile I'll go out and tinker a bit.

Thanks,
    Jack

----------

After looking at the situ again I was able to get the lines off of the adapter with very little effort. They must be torqued pretty light. Still though I guess I'll take off the adapter and put new o-rings on it as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Removing Oil Cooler Lines

The adapter should be bolted tight to the block. Hard to imagine it rocking.

Not sure you're gonna get that thing out with the oil lines attached. Mine didn't have any when I removed it and it was still a tight fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    The adapter should be bolted tight to the block. Hard to imagine it rocking.

Not sure you're gonna get that thing out with the oil lines attached. Mine didn't have any when I removed it and it was still a tight fit.
    I dunno, Alldata says the torque is 12 lb/ft for the adapter so it's not held in too awful tight; she does rock a bit (in a fender to fender direction / not in a bumper to bumper direction). Like I said, I'll go ahead and change those o-rings too.

I hope this stops the oil leak so this is the last time I have to degrease the front of the engine cradle. Knowing my luck that $30 quick coupling that goes on the radiator that I bought last year will start leaking again and this will be a never ending tail chase.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The adapter seats tight against the block, compressing the O rings. It doesn't just sit in the O rings and wobble around. If its moving, something's wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    The adapter seats tight against the block, compressing the O rings. It doesn't just sit in the O rings and wobble around. If its moving, something's wrong.
    Well then it's good that it isn't wobbling around.

Like I said, it is rocking in one direction only. The bolt holes in the adapter have a larger ID than the OD attachment bolts. When a torque is applied to the adapter it can do nothing more than rock until the ID of the adapter meets the OD of the bolts. Remember that the torque settings of the bolts are spec'd to be 12 lb/ft, so they aren't that tight; probably just compressing the o-rings slightly so as not to push them out of shape.

My guess is that this very slight amount of rocking is very normal and may not even be noticed by most people.

I'm having a hose shop braze ends on the original fittings and adding 3000 psi hose - new o-rings all around and I'll be good to go (I Hope). All for less than $100 - way less than the $200 plus it would cost for replacement lines from Rock Auto and I'll have a way better setup, YAY! I'll just keep my fingers crossed that that quick coupling on the radiator is ok.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.