noise after rolling over small bumps
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ranger
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, noise after rolling over small bumps in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi Guys, The car rides smooth; new inner and outer tie rods, lower control arm,new rear air shocks; and a ...
    Jorge Lugo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville 2004

noise after rolling over small bumps

Hi Guys,
    The car rides smooth; new inner and outer tie rods, lower control arm,new rear air shocks; and a good alignment. Just one concern when rolling over small bumps, a noise similar to a low horn is produce after the bump. I'm like curious George need to know what making that noise. Thank You.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: noise after rolling over small bumps

A horn noise?? Is that a groan?
    What year and is the noise from the front or the rear? If rear, the rear knuckle bushings are known to squeak, push down on back and see if it squeaks.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Please update your profile to show the year of your car so we don't have to ask in the future.
    Jorge Lugo likes this.

I rowed down the windows the noise is likely to be from the driver side; it sounds like a pluck the same tone when you run over a loose manhole top. I believe is coming from the front. I hope is not the lower control arm. I have to lift the car to make an visual assessment.

Also check the sway bar and link bushings.

I will plan a day to review the work of the individuals that made repairs to my Caddy; Thanks for the heads up on the sway and links; they were recently replaced by a non-reliable shop they also deflated the rear tire. I'm disable person but have the courage of the men with the force of 10 army battalion.

My father show me treat people with respect; apologize to the people who changed the sway bar links; those are fine. After a review of the suspension I noticed that all brake pads and rotors need to be replaced ; the rear and driver side brakes are in bad shape. Two years past since I haven't change these items. It's time to do research for parts and pricing.

Issue resolve, the nearly three year rear rotors were warp, and pads had about 30% of life. All rear brakes replaced. Had an issue with one of the bleeding valve; Jesus Christ came to my rescue; and the work was completed. All the worked was done on the street in NYC just imagine how much stress a person needs to tolerate, keeping an extra eye on your tools. Kept the car in the same parking spot due to low volume of space. Spent my evening think if the bleeder valve will hold; today; rode my vehicle, driving was smooth, no noise after rolling over bumps and braking was quiet and smooth. I have to Thank Jesus Christ for helping me.

Warped rotors are a myth. Rotors are made of cast iron. They do not warp.

Goldencletus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 DeVille Concours, 2004 Nissan 350Z Roadster

Something happens to them, warped or otherwise. I had a serious pedal pulsation (on my 98 Concours and my 96 Silverado) under braking until I had the rotors turned. I could see on the lathe where the tool was missing part of the rotor. after turning the rotors the pulsation was cured. If not "warped", what is the issue?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    It's called runout, excessive runout causes the pulsation. The rotor wears unevenly side to side, it does not warp. Pulsation can also be caused by excessive pad material buildup in the rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldencletus View Post
    Something happens to them, warped or otherwise. I had a serious pedal pulsation (on my 98 Concours and my 96 Silverado) under braking until I had the rotors turned. I could see on the lathe where the tool was missing part of the rotor. after turning the rotors the pulsation was cured. If not "warped", what is the issue?
    What would cause a warped rotor?

It's an uneven build up of brake pad residue (not even visible). I've had it several times and I can usually cure it by riding the brake for about 1/2 mile or so (obviously a brake lathe works as well). In fact I'm about do for a clean up now.

This will explain it better.
    http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

Another explanation (and debunking the "warped rotor" myth) is improper rotor installation.
    http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/a...etails?id=1787

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.