1996 Deville troubleshooting TC0023
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1996 Deville troubleshooting TC0023 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello all, My friend recently bought a very nice 1996 Deville. He needed a car to get him to work, ...
    Robk46 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

1996 Deville troubleshooting TC0023 - FIXED!!

Hello all,

My friend recently bought a very nice 1996 Deville. He needed a car to get him to work, and didn't want the usual small economy car. He just returned from living in England for a couple years, and wanted a big car. I actually suggested a Buick with the 3800, but he just fell in love with the big Caddy, so here we are.

TC0023 is showing up, which means the front right wheel sensor. I've ohmed out the sensor, and got 1100, which is within spec. I've check and cleaned the connections at the sensor, as well as the one coming out of the shock tower area. I've measured voltage coming out of the connector at 4.1 volts with ignition on. The computer TCS data mode shows all sensors reading the same as you're driving down the road: At 56 mph in cruise, I was getting RF-84 LF-84 RR-85 LR-85. I assume the slight number difference was because of the tire pressures.

What else can I check? I thought for sure the RF wheel sensor would have a crazy reading compared to the other 3? Is there a decision tree somewhere I can look at?

BTW - Running the codes on this thing is really cool. I wish all cars had this capability.

Thanks!

UPDATE - FIXED!! Drove it for 40 miles with my temporary tinfoil fix in place, and no codes so far.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: 1996 Seville troubleshooting TC0023

If that's the car you are talking about in Pic it is a DeVille...

1996 Deville code RS0028 troubleshooting

Hi all.

Has anyone gotten an RS0028 and fixed it? The code indicates a RR strut solenoid failure. I'll crawl under there after work and check the wiring. Anything else I should check, voltages, resistance, tail light bearings? http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...lies/dizzy.gif

Thanks!

Re: 1996 Deville troubleshooting TC0023

Changed. Thanks

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The solenoid controls a variable orifice in the shock to adjust damping force. It's not serviceable, you'll have to replace the shocks. Active replacements are very expensive. You can replace them with passive shocks, and use resistors (actually your year/suspension system may need a relay) Ro disable the codes. Or if you want, just install the resistor/relay and leave the old shock installed.

Is this a base or Concours?

More than likely the sensor in the hub is bad... Timken from either RockAuto, Amazon, Ebay etc...
    Did a quick Google on the code and some 96 Seville(yea go figure) had wiring issues going to that wheel. Something about interference, a new wire or insulating that wire helped. Try a search here also.

Re: 1996 Deville code RS0028 troubleshooting

It's a base. Doesn't say Concours anywhere I can see.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Yeah that's a base.

I think your car has the speed sensitive active suspension system that would require the relay, but someone else will chime in to confirm.

Re: 1996 Deville code RS0028 troubleshooting

The 96 used on off elec suspension parts... I avoid that year just because of that.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by rodnok01 View Post
    More than likely the sensor in the hub is bad... Timken from either RockAuto, Amazon, Ebay etc...
    Did a quick Google on the code and some 96 Seville(yea go figure) had wiring issues going to that wheel. Something about interference, a new wire or insulating that wire helped. Try a search here also.
    rodnok, Is this the FWD series that had a problem with ignition interference (EMI) screwing up the suspension data bus ??

In doing a google search, I found someone who wrapped tin foil around the wiring harness behind the coils, and his code went away. I'll give that a shot in the name of Faraday and science.

----------

If the sensor in the hub was bad, wouldn't it have a different speed reading than the other 3?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Robk46 View Post
    TC0023 is showing up, which means the front right wheel sensor.
    TC0023 means "RF Wheel Speed Sensor Continuity Fault". I'd replace the hub & bearing assembly.

P.S.
    Please do not double and triple post for the same problem.

P.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Please do not double and triple post for the same problem.
    Sorry, I actually posted first in the Seville area by accident, but I posted the TC0023 and RS0028 in the Deville area as separate posts because they are separate systems and problems. Thanks

Fixed!!! I just folded up a thick section of tinfoil and wedged it behind the coils. Cleared the codes, and they haven't come back! I'll make a shield out of sheet metal and see if that works. I'll probably mount it under the coil pack somehow, with it separating the wiring harness from the coil pack and wires. Here's a pic of my temporary test fix.
    Attached Images

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

That might save your HVAC blower as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.