Headlamps Not Working - 1998 Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Headlamps Not Working - 1998 Deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Headlamps worked this morning, just left auto parts store and noticed they weren't on. When switch is off, the daylight ...
    sparkydm is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 DeVille

Headlamps Not Working - 1998 Deville

Headlamps worked this morning, just left auto parts store and noticed they weren't on. When switch is off, the daylight
    running lamps come on. Fuses are all good. Little green LED comes on, dashlights dim, when the headlamp switch is pulled.
    Low beam andhigh beams don't work. Noticed a Headlamp relay listed so I bought one, can't locate it in the owner's
    manual. I have a 1998 Base DeVille : Ideas?
    Read a post saying the relay was in the front drivers side fuse panel. There's only an a/c
    compressor relay and a fuel pump relay. No other relays are in this fuse panel.
    Looked on the Advance Auto site. Apparently, this relay is under the dash, not the hood.
    Doesn't matter though since the Nimrods at Advance sold me a R3115P, fuel door relay, and not
    the R3146, Headlight relay! Wait until tomorrow now and try again!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: Headlamps Not Working - HELP

Quote Originally Posted by sparkydm View Post
    Headlamps worked this morning, just left auto parts store and noticed they weren't on. When switch is off, the daylight
    running lamps come on. Fuses are all good. Little green LED comes on, dashlights dim, when the headlamp switch is pulled.
    Low beam andhigh beams don't work. Noticed a Headlamp relay listed so I bought one, can't locate it in the owner's
    manual. I have a 1998 Base DeVille : Ideas?
    Read a post saying the relay was in the front drivers side fuse panel. There's only an a/c
    compressor relay and a fuel pump relay. No other relays are in this fuse panel.
    Looked on the Advance Auto site. Apparently, this relay is under the dash, not the hood.
    Doesn't matter though since the Nimrods at Advance sold me a R3115P, fuel door relay, and not
    the R3146, Headlight relay! Wait until tomorrow now and try again!
    ======================
    there are several headlight-related fuses - in two different fuse blocks -

fuses are discussed in the Owners Manual -
    starting on page 6-58 -

if you don't have an OM - go here for a free download -
    http://justgivemethedamnmanual.com/c...wners-manuals/

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

There are 2 headlight relays under the hood. Main HL relay is a 4 pin relay(same as HORN so use it to test) and the High Low relay is a 5 pin. I bet the 4 pin has gone bad. Mine did a few months ago, swapped the horn relay in and away we went. Look at the bottom of the fuse/breaker panel cover and it will tell you exactly which relays they are.

As stated, no headlight replays at all in the fuse box under the hood. Only the fuel pump and AC relay in this box on my vehicle.
    All fuses were checked and are good. There isn't a horn relay in there either, wish there was! That would be great!
    I'll try the parts store for the correct part tomorrow. Thanks for the replies!

Well you either dont have a 98 deville or someone has ripped them out anx relocated which i highly doubt. Good luck...

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by sparkydm View Post
    As stated, no headlight replays at all in the fuse box under the hood. Only the fuel pump and AC relay in this box on my vehicle.
    All fuses were checked and are good. There isn't a horn relay in there either, wish there was! That would be great!
    I'll try the parts store for the correct part tomorrow. Thanks for the replies!
    ==========================
    As stated, no headlight replays at all in the fuse box under the hood.

AS STATED -
    there are TWO "fuse boxes" under the hood -
    look in the OTHER ONE -

this \/ from page 6-58 of the OWNERS MANUAL - PLEASE READ IT -
    there are illustrations of the fuse/relay locations -

The MaxiFuses and relays are located next to the engine
    compartment fuse block on the driver’s side of the
    engine.
    To access the compartment fuse block, remove
    the shroud cover
    -

you WILL find the "missing" HEADLIGHTS and HORN relays -
    amongst others -

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Headlamps Not Working

When all else fails, read the directions.

Re: Headlamps Not Working

"When all else fails, read the directions."

I have, multiple times. The owner's manual, which I do have, says nothing about there being 2 fuse/relay boxes under the hood.
    It gives a diagram of the one I located. I do have a DeVille. It was bought new in 1998 and been in the family since. If the directions
    aren't accurate it presents a problem since most of the electronic troubleshooting I do is done by following manuals/prints/instructions.
    So, try not to be too cynical, not everyone is new to this game. I'm just letting you know what I've been able to locate and what
    I've found when it is. Thank you for your insights!

----------

"this \/ from page 6-58 of the OWNERS MANUAL - PLEASE READ IT -
    there are illustrations of the fuse/relay locations - "

Herein lies the issue! I have the owner's manual in front of me and the index at the rear of the manual doesn't even have a listing
    for relays. The listing for fuses & circuit breakers sends you to 6-60. Which is where I went. I never found a listing for 6-58 so, I didn't
    go there. Which is why I come to this web site, thank you very much!

Re: Headlamps Not Working - 1998 Deville

YOU HAVE TO REMOVE THE ENTIRE BLACK PLASTIC COVER FROM THE FUSE PANEL AREA, NOT JUST OPEN UP THE LITTLE DOOR. UNDER THAT BIG ANGLED BLACK PLASTIC THING YOU WILL FIND THE RELAYS AS IDENTIFIED ON PAGE 6-60 UNDER MAXI FUSES/RELAYS SECTION OF ELECTRICAL SECTION OF THE OWNERS MANUAL.
    HERE IS THE EXACT WORDING FROM OWNERS MANUAL
    MaxiFuses/Relay Center
    The MaxiFuses and relays are located next to the engine
    compartment fuse block on the driver’s side of the
    engine. To access the compartment fuse block, remove
    the shroud cover. If a MaxiFuse should blow, have your
    vehicle serviced by your dealer immediately.

rodnok; Went to Advance and the relay they show online is different from the one they have on the in-store
    catalogue. I think the in-store one is correct.
    While looking at the fuse block we decided that the relays must be under the large black cover. Looked under the dash
    as someone else stated and no joy there. I've never seen plug-in relays under a cover bolted to a fender. They must assume these
    items almost never go bad. Strange!
    " To access the compartment fuse block, remove
    the shroud cover"

It states "fuse block"! I had already taken the cover off of the "fuse block". It should have something to indicate
    to access the Maxifuses/Relays. It would have been much clearer! But, once you do find it, you surely won't forget!
    thanks to all for your assistance and noe I'll head for the wrench set! Have a great day!

----------

rodnok; The maxi fuses aren't on page 60, they're on page 6-58. On page 6-60 it states that there are 2 fuse
    blocks on the car. 1 in the engine compartment & 1 in the trunk. Hence my initial confusion! I had already found
    the 1 in the engine compartment. Wondering why people kept talking about another one. The index also
    lists page 6-60 for the fuses. I didn't look for "Maxi fuses" since I was looking for a relay. Totally irrelevant
    now since I've been able to locate the additional relays fuses with many suggestions on this site. It's all
    appreciated! Pin 85 & 30 are badly corroded with a little on pin 87. Busy soaking it with contact cleaner now.
    I'll get the meter out and see if the block is ok also. Lesson learned! Thanks again!

----------

OK, the block is a disaster! One of the pins on the Accessory relay is completely corroded off! The headlamp relay pins have a lot
    of corrosion also. Does anyone know what type of pins are in this block? I really should go through this replacing the corroded
    ones and getting it cleaned up or I'll just continue to have problems. Are they something I can get locally or have to
    be ordered online? Also the tool for replacing the pins?
    Also, is there a wiring diagram available showing wiring color codes! Thank you!

It is a common issue to have corroded fuse/relay panels on these years. Take the pin to parts store you MAY be able to match it up but don't hold your breath. If the box is corroded badly junkyard time...
    ALLDATA or FSM for wiring diagrams...

Just about 4 - 6 of them in bad shape. It looks like their replaceable it I can find the right pins and the correct tool.
    I've rebuilt connectors for robot cables when they've gone bad/corroded but, they're round pins. These look different but,
    the concept appears to be the same. Thanks!

----------

After many applications of contact cleaner spraying and scraping with a small pick, headlights back in operation.
    I'll end up ordering new ends and replacing them. Have a couple of emails out trying to verify the correct
    terminals/ends for our car. Thanks again for all of the assistance and patience!

Got the cracked radiator replaced so, car will be back to start back on it again. Still have to clean/dig out the one female pin
    to get a new accessory relay plugged back in. It will be nice to have the windshield wipers back working again!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.