2001 Deville Rear Caliper Rebuild
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2001 Deville Rear Caliper Rebuild in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Rebuilding the rear calipers after noticing they were seized, and that dirt had gotten past the dust boot and contaminated ...
    thefonzz2625 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville, 1987 Brougham D'Elegance

2001 Deville Rear Caliper Rebuild

Rebuilding the rear calipers after noticing they were seized, and that dirt had gotten past the dust boot and contaminated the piston. I've retrofitted it with a new speed bleeder screw (now that i've depressurized the system). All the boots were replaced about two months ago. I've lubed everything up real good and the rotor and pads were done with the boots two months ago.

I'm trying to figure out how the caliper piston goes back together. I have the right centric rebuild part kit with lock ring, gasket etc and a new caliper piston and the adjusting screw from the old caliper piston.

Does anyone have a diagram of how they go back together?

Alldatadiy likes to glaze over things like this sometimes by either not covering the procedure or over simplifying it into "Step 9: reassemble the caliper".
    I've found a few gm parts house diagrams that are of <i>some</i> help, but not much.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 2001 Deville Rear Caliper Rebuild

So in the first diagram, 13 (piston) comes with more than 14 and 15.

The second diagram is <i>more</i> accurate, but it doesn't exactly line up to what I have. Inside my caliper piston is a screw, lock ring and bearing ring in addition to the spring.

The first one is J55 brakes. The second is JL9. Also not too sure just how intricate those two diagrams are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    The first one is J55 brakes. The second is JL9. Also not too sure just how intricate those two diagrams are.
    I have a base deville so I'll be working with JL9. I'd take pictures but the caliper is on the car, its pouring and I won't get back from work until its dark...

Caddy-EaRL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS 184,000 miles, 91 chevy truck 380,000 miles
    Personal preferences....but I'd put calipers on. Less than 50 bucks each from rock auto.

Quote Originally Posted by Caddy-EaRL View Post
    Personal preferences....but I'd put calipers on. Less than 50 bucks each from rock auto.
    I wouldn't rebuild a caliper again, this was definitely a giant pain in the @$$ to save maybe $10-$20. At this point though I would like to avoid adding insult to injury as I purchased a rebuild kit for both sides and I just about have everything buttoned up except its not assembled in the correct order. When I step on the brake, fluid comes pouring out of the dust boot.

So a little update. Let me just re-emphasize, DO NOT try and rebuild the rear calipers. Although they sell for ~ $50/ea (incl core refund) it is well worth it. There are SEVERAL non serviceable parts on the caliper that have to do with the auto-adjusting parking brake mechanism. This is based off of the fact that our (JL9) parking brake operates off of the rear brakes and does not use a separate shoe/drum (rotor). Alldatadiy is wholly insufficient for the rebuild procedure, completely skipping over several parts of the rebuild. I found another site that is of excellent use eautorepair.net. Almost every other procedure (as per the GM spec they had to download and send me) is: If x is rusted and out of spec, discard caliper. If auto adjust parking brake mechanism does not function properly, discard caliper.

Not to mention that rockauto sells the caliper piston without the gear needed for the parking brake mechanism, so you're left to try and figure out how to re assemble it into the new caliper piston. I wound up getting everything back together without any leaks (finally). So I begin to bleed the brakes, RR, LF, LR, RF and installed speed bleeders in place of the old bleeder valves. Fluid was black, glad I got it out.

So I button everything up, shift into drive step on the brakes and they go to the floor. I have absolutely no brake pressure. Thankfully i was on a flat surface and I shifted into neutral and coasted to a stop. I'm guessing since I depressurized the whole brake system and had the caliper off overnight, the ABS module probably inhaled a bunch of air and needs to be bled with a Tech II. Car was picked up on a flatbed this morning and will know the outcome this afternoon.

I seem to recall the FSM making mention of the calipers not being rebuildable.

Not sure what you mean by "depressurized the whole brake system". The brake system is only pressurized when you step on the pedal. If you meant that you drained the system, yes, you would have no brakes until you refilled the system and bled all the air out of it. No need for a Tech II to do that. I'm starting to get the impression that flat bedding it to a repair shop was not a bad idea.

To clarify, I did refill the system and I did bleed the brakes and I never let the reservoir get empty.

By saying "depressurized the brake system" i meant that I took the caliper off by the banjo bolt and let the system drain into a bucket. My concern was that air was introduced into the EBCM. My understanding is that you can't get the air out of that via the bleeder screws.

Quote Originally Posted by thefonzz2625 View Post
    My understanding is that you can't get the air out of that via the bleeder screws.
    Not sure, but I don't see why not.

A tech ii isn't needed for bleeding the brakes. The fluid will run through the ebcm on its own just by normal bleeding.

Thanks for the confirmation Earl.

kidzstang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '98 Cadillac Concours

I dunno, I read something on a Ford Truck Forum about not being able to get the air out of their system either through the bleeders and needing something called "service bleeding" which as far I can remember had to be done with Tech software to fool the system into activating the anti-lock while bleeding. But I've been able to put all new lines on my Expedition without needing it so who knows?

Abs brakes work just like regular old non abs brakes without the electronic enhancement with whatever model cars "abs module" hooked up. Fluid will always pass through the abs module. If there is air in one, fluid will always push it out. The only thing I have ever had to do on a few occasions were on some Kelsey Hays modules was to do a couple abs stops.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.