Sevice engine soon, rough idle
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Sevice engine soon, rough idle in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Good Evening, I have a new issue most certainly self induced, after replacing the water pump and re-assembling ALMOST everything, ...
    Goldencletus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 DeVille Concours, 2004 Nissan 350Z Roadster

Sevice engine soon, rough idle

Good Evening, I have a new issue most certainly self induced, after replacing the water pump and re-assembling ALMOST everything, I neglected to reattach the electronic device that clips into the air filter box. The car wouldn't start at all but did have some backfire sounding issues! Not sure at the time what the problem was, I tried, unsuccessfully to start the car, again no success. I went back to the engine compartment and found the problem. Re-connected the culprit and it started right up. that being said, the "Service Engine Soon" light came on. Thinking it would go out after a reboot, I drove the car for about 12 miles to make sure there were no leaks or any other issues from my water pump install project. No problems whatsoever, no leaks, car was running fine (the service light was still on however). After parking for a couple of celebratory beers, I began the 12 mile journey home, at which time the "Service Engine Soon" light began to flash! When I stopped at the next traffic light, the car was running rough as hell. Leaving the traffic light, it ran fine and the service light stopped flashing. Again, when I got home, the rough idling issue was still present and the flashing service light had reappeared. I've not pulled any codes as it's late and dark but thought perhaps someone has had this same experience and can share some insight. Thanks again for all of the help and input!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    The flashing CEL indicates a misfire. That's your rough idle. We'll need the codes and definitions.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Sevice engine soon, rough idle

1998 Deville - misfire - How long has it been since a complete spark plug/plug wire change ? A thorough coil and ICM cleaning ? The ICM ground wire.

AC Delco (DENSO) #41-950 Double Platinum plugs, AC Delco wireset - the $110 one.

Either www.rockauto.com or talk to Chris in Parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldencletus View Post
    I neglected to reattach the electronic device that clips into the air filter box.
    That would have been the IAT sensor, but I didn't think it would prevent the car from starting.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    That would have been the IAT sensor, but I didn't think it would prevent the car from starting.
    I don't believe it would either as I have left mine of many a time...

Thanks guys, the plugs and wires are new as of one month ago, I haven't cleaned the ICM or coil but will do when I'm back in town, Also I'll get the code with def's on Wednesday. The car was running fine prior to my pulling parts off to change the pump, I guess coincidences can happen, just seems strange.

Good afternoon men, mystery solved RE rough idle, after getting home this afternoon, I had decided the throttle body had to be the issue. I put a full clean on it, reassembled everything, started the car, and was rewarded with a car that barely ran at all. Frustrated and very bothered by the whole coincidence thing, I went back through everything that I taken apart during the water pump replacement. Right next to the trans fluid filler/dipstick was the culprit, a fairly large conglomeration of wires (inside of corrugated plastic conduit) with a sizeable wire connector that I had disconnected to get as much crap out of the way as I could. Bottom line is this was a self induced issue as I didn't get a positive connection when I put the two back together! Car is running great again, thanks for all of the help!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

OUCH! Nothing hurts worse than a self inflicted wound.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.