hesitation problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, hesitation problem in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i have a 1991 caddy deville that i just baught about a month ago, my problem started a few days ...
    twistny is offline Cadillac Owners Member

hesitation problem

i have a 1991 caddy deville that i just baught about a month ago, my problem started a few days ago when i was very low on fuel. the car began running very rough when i filled the tank it smoothed out but then the next day my problem began. if i get in the car cold and take off there is all the power i can get but as soon as the car warms up and i step on the gas it hesitates almost like there is no gas, let off the gas and it is ok, i have tried gas line treatments etc, also if i shut the car off wait a few minutes then start and go it is fine but after a few moments it hesitates again, it is now doing it while in park and stepping on the gas, it chokes like it is getting no gas and sometimes makes slight backfiring noises, let off the gas and slowly accelerate and it is ok." i must add that a few days after purchasing the car i went on a short day trip to pennsylvania and it dogged badly on the hills until i stopped to refuel and added a fuel additive then it was fine after that, i do not know if these two instances are related or not but any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacJack76 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02 eldo collectors series, 98 eldo, 97 deville, 96+94 SLS,

Re: hesitation problem

Well it sounds like to start, not knowing your maintenance history, but I would give it a tune up and definietly change the fuel filter. Of course there are other possibilites, such as the fuel pump, but that would be the most logic. And if you are using dry gas, stop, that stuff is good for old cars but the newer cars with the electric fuel pumps don't like it, the nylon bushings get eaten up by the chemicals in the dry gas (if you use it a lot) and the fuel pump goes bad after a while. Just a little live and learn FYI, I had an eldorado that happened to, and Cadillac told me what I was doing wrong.

Jack

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

... So what's dry gas?

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Powdered gas.... just add water.......

CadillacJack76 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02 eldo collectors series, 98 eldo, 97 deville, 96+94 SLS,

Ha ha!! "Dry gas" is either methanol or more commonly isopropanol (less toxic), both alcohols. Water is soluble (dissolves in) the alcohol. The alcohol is also soluble in gasoline....what "dry gas" does is dissolves the water into the gasoline, preventing it from separating in the tank/lines etc. and thus prevents the lines from freezing. If used to often Alcohol will dry up nylon and plastic making it brittle.

Jack

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.