1995 Deville Driver's side power window mystery
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1995 Deville Driver's side power window mystery in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've been having an interrmittet driver's side window problem for years When it first occurred the window stopped at about ...
    rayjuswa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Deville

1995 Deville Driver's side power window mystery

I've been having an interrmittet driver's side window problem for years
    When it first occurred the window stopped at about the half way point and refused to move in either direction.
    There was no sound of a motor trying to run or running. No clicking noise. No sound at all.
    Tried slamming the door and banging on the upholstery, nothing worked (although my wife said hitting the side of the door worked for her).
    Then after waiting a minute, everything works fine as if nothing was wrong.
    Mechanic changed the motor. Worked fine for a while and began doing the same thing again.
    Bought a switch off off ebay and installed it.
    Everything worked fine until yesterday. Started to do the exact same thing again. Tried pulling up on the window, very carefully. It came up a liile when I lifted but dropped back down to where it was after I let go. I was afraid to do more damage than good so I stopped pulling on it. Still it would not move under its own power and made no sound. I pondered over my next move for a few moments and decided to let it alone and come back later. I hit the up button and it worked as if nothing was ever wrong.
    All other windows work fine and so do the door locks.
    Is there a thermal breaker in the motor? Could it have cooled off and started to work again?
    This has got me stumped. It will work for weeks and then just quit. Only to start working again on its own.
    I read all through this forum but haven't found anyone with the exact same problem.
    I'm at my wits end and my wife doesn't want to use the car because she's afraid that it will happen to her when it's raining.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Re: !995 Deville Driver's side power window mystery

Well sounds like a connection problem or wiring. How did the wiring look when you replaced the switch?? Second thought is to check the wiring going through flex tube to the jamb. Lastly switch flaky.

When I replaced the switch the wiring looked like new
    Now the window goes down and stops
    If I leave the switch alone for about 30 seconds and try it the window will either move an inch and stop or close all the way (or open ) only to stop again and be unresponsive until I wait awhile and try again. It does this whether I'm moving or standing still.
    I'm lost??

Over 150 views and only one suggestion
    Oh woe is me!

reppinshadyvill is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 DTS
    Pull the switch and just jump the wires to test the motor. It could just be that your switch is going bad or you could have some chaffed or broken wiring in the door jamb.

Re: 1995 Deville Driver's side power window mystery

Will do
    And let you know the outcome
    Thanks

dj63010 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille

I've had the same exact problem in my 95. Whoever had the car before me must have had this problem also. It doesn't happen often and like you say after a few minutes it seems to work fine. In my car the switch panel on the drivers door has be pryed open so many times that it no longer snaps back into place but rather just lays lose in the armrest. I've had some success by just picking up the panel and just slamming it back down hehe. It's been several months now since I have had the problem repeat. I'd be willing to bet it has something to do with the limit switch that tells the motor to stop when the window reaches it's full down position but that's just a guess.

I haven't had the opportunity to try anything that has been suggested.
    As soon as I do, I will check the switch by jumping it.
    Also, I found a thread where someone suggested that the module located at the bottom front inside of the door be pulled apart and thoroughly cleaned and lightly sanded at all the contact points.
    The writer seems to have had the same problem and found out how to resolve it.
    Either way , I will post my outcome
    Thanks for your input
    Believe me, it is much appreciated.

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

I had the same problem on my '95 Deville a few years back.It was the power window "motor".Had a new one installed and all has been well with it since.
    If you still have the original power window motor in your '95,it might need replacing.Usually the drivers side window gets used the most and wears out first.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.