Hard gas pedal, 90 Deville
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Hard gas pedal, 90 Deville in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey have any of you guys ever heard of the 90 devilles having a really stiff gas pedal? As long ...
    CadillacJack76 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02 eldo collectors series, 98 eldo, 97 deville, 96+94 SLS,

Hard gas pedal, 90 Deville

Hey have any of you guys ever heard of the 90 devilles having a really stiff gas pedal? As long as I can remember mine has been really stiff (no jokes guys) and I hate it. I did a little investingating and found that when I disconnected the kickdown cable it freed up the gas pedal, so I disconnected it from both ends and shot some WD-40 into and moved it back and forth and it seems to move nice and easy, but when I hooked it back up to the tranny side, that kickdown mechanism in the bell housing was tight and thats what is causing the tight pedal. I just had the tranny replaced about a year ago, and it was like that before I had it replaced, so I just figured it was just the way it is with that car, then I bought my 93 deville and it has no problem, its nice and easy. I was just curious if anyone else had experienced this in a 90's deville.

Thanks, Jack

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: Hard gas pedal, 90 Deville

After talking with you over IM, Im thinking its carbon on the throttle body..... When you manually move the throttle plate, is it smooth and easy??? That would be a starting point I think....

Yep, smooth and easy, if I take off that kickdown cable its great!!

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

I dont have enough specific knowledge to help you anymore..... Sorry...

HollywoodHicks1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Actually guys, I've heard of this problem before. I don't know what to do to help. But, on my 90 DeVille, my pedal is loose and wiggly.

I actually wish mine was loose and wiggly!

I am bumping up this post because I am going to be using this car everyday for work again now that the weather is getting better, and this gas pedal thing is driving me nuts, I know there has to be someone who has tackled this problem before. I am down to the source of the problem, if I pull the kickdown cable out of the bell housing of the tranny, the gas pedal is nice and easy, it is not the kickdown cable, nor the accelerator cable, or the throttle body or plates, the problem seems to be originating from the kickdown mechanism inside the bell housing, I don't really know what goes on in there but I am willing to tackle the job, even if I have to disconnect the tranny from the engine to change whatever is in there, this problem has been going on since the car has had 20,000 miles on it and it now has 200,000 and I have to get it resolved, after buying my 93 deville and driving it with a nice soft pedal driving my 90 is hell. Anyway any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks Jack

Cadillac-Junkie is offline Cadillac Owners Member

my 94 deville has a stiffer pedal then usual was wondering why also now after reading this im still not sure but i had a code po-85 which is throttle body angle to high. my alternator had bad bearing and was giving off a rust powder that got kinda all over the engine then it rained hard for 2 days went through a few puddles etc.. and my po-85 went away but my pedal is still hard. not sure if any of this is related but this thread got me to respond with this thread.. any more idea's or input?? thanks ,Sal

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.