Got Plenum fixed, Cadillac vibrating 2 weeks later. Help!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Got Plenum fixed, Cadillac vibrating 2 weeks later. Help! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Okay, so I got my plenum replaced about a month ago. For the first 2 weeks, it was running good ...
    vctrfs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville Base

Got Plenum fixed, Cadillac vibrating 2 weeks later. Help!

Okay, so I got my plenum replaced about a month ago. For the first 2 weeks, it was running good with no vibrating when I was idle. But after that it slowly got to the point where it is vibrating, and now(1 month later) its almost as bad as I had it originally. I know I need to replace my front hubs, and since the hubs are bad(been bad for along while, never got around to replacing it), could it be because of my bad hubs, that the new plenum is bad?

Is the new plenum bad? After I replace my front hubs and my plenum, will I be good and out in the clear? Could there be anything else that is making my car vibrate intermitly on idle? Any advice would be 100% greatly appreciated.

2000 Cadillac Deville - Base.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Your hubs have absolutely nothing to do with the plenum in any way, shape, or form.

Is your check engine light on?
    Is it flashing?
    Have you pulled your codes?

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: Got Plenum fixed, Cadillac vibrating 2 weeks later. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by vctrfs View Post
    Okay, so I got my plenum replaced about a month ago. For the first 2 weeks, it was running good with no vibrating when I was idle. But after that it slowly got to the point where it is vibrating, and now(1 month later) its almost as bad as I had it originally. I know I need to replace my front hubs, and since the hubs are bad(been bad for along while, never got around to replacing it), could it be because of my bad hubs, that the new plenum is bad?

Is the new plenum bad? After I replace my front hubs and my plenum, will I be good and out in the clear? Could there be anything else that is making my car vibrate intermitly on idle? Any advice would be 100% greatly appreciated.

2000 Cadillac Deville - Base.
    --------------------------
    since the hubs are bad(been bad for along while, never got around to replacing it),
    could it be because of my bad hubs, that the new plenum is bad?

ah - NO -

Is the new plenum bad?
    doubtful -

it IS possible the mounting screws have loosened -
    or the intake bolts have loosened -

or the problem is completely unrelated -
    and you have a new/different problem -

check for codes -

Okay, I'll pull the codes in a few and post them up. The check engine light was on since i got the car. If I can post them here and if anyone can help me out with that, that would be killer!

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Post the codes AND their definitions. Definitions can be found in the OBDII link in the DTC Sticky at the top of the forum page.

Here are the Current codes I pulled:

IPM BO184 Solar Load Sensor #1 CKT Range
    BO189 Solar Load Sensor #2 CKT Range
    BO429 Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance
    B2646 Ambient Light Sensor Circuit Range

PCM 741 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off

UTD B1009 EEPROM Checksum Error
    B2734 Coded Key Controller Memory Failure

MY UTD isn't that bad, the ignition was changed and sometimes its good and othertimes its not.
    MY IPM is my solar sensor, and thats the least of my problems, so I honeslty don't care about it.
    The PCM is probably the reason the car leaks oil. I have to put a quart in about every 2-3 weeks depending on how I drive it.

Also, today I inherited a new problem(lucky me). When I start the car, it says Service Charging Sys. And that the voltage is low. After I give it 1 or 2 rev's, it goes away and doesn't come back. It get to 14.4 volts, when its low, it gets back 12.2 volts. I never changed the battery and I had the car for about 3 years, so it could be I need a new battery? Or is this a direct alternator issue. This happened right after I took off the engine cover to try to tighten the bolts on the plenum. I hav'nt tried it yet, but hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Also, I broke Torque bar number 1, which brings me to 3 breaker bars and 1 torque bar broken trying to get my front hubs off. I might just have to take that to the mechanic to handle. But please let me know how to stop it from virbating.

Also, my window on the drivers side is not working. When I hit the button, I hear a single click. Before I heard a bunch of clicking and then after taking the door apart and looking at the motor and putting it back in, I now hear a single click when I hit the button. Could that be the motor or the actuator that needs replacing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by vctrfs View Post
    Here are the Current codes I pulled:

IPM BO184 Solar Load Sensor #1 CKT Range
    BO189 Solar Load Sensor #2 CKT Range
    BO429 Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance
    B2646 Ambient Light Sensor Circuit Range

PCM 741 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off

UTD B1009 EEPROM Checksum Error
    B2734 Coded Key Controller Memory Failure

MY UTD isn't that bad, the ignition was changed and sometimes its good and othertimes its not.
    MY IPM is my solar sensor, and thats the least of my problems, so I honeslty don't care about it.
    The PCM is probably the reason the car leaks oil. I have to put a quart in about every 2-3 weeks depending on how I drive it.

Also, today I inherited a new problem(lucky me). When I start the car, it says Service Charging Sys. And that the voltage is low. After I give it 1 or 2 rev's, it goes away and doesn't come back. It get to 14.4 volts, when its low, it gets back 12.2 volts. I never changed the battery and I had the car for about 3 years, so it could be I need a new battery? Or is this a direct alternator issue. This happened right after I took off the engine cover to try to tighten the bolts on the plenum. I hav'nt tried it yet, but hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Also, I broke Torque bar number 1, which brings me to 3 breaker bars and 1 torque bar broken trying to get my front hubs off. I might just have to take that to the mechanic to handle. But please let me know how to stop it from virbating.

Also, my window on the drivers side is not working. When I hit the button, I hear a single click. Before I heard a bunch of clicking and then after taking the door apart and looking at the motor and putting it back in, I now hear a single click when I hit the button. Could that be the motor or the actuator that needs replacing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    ---------------------------
    I might just have to take that to the mechanic to handle.
    after reading this post - that sounds like a GREAT idea -

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Your PCM code has nothing to do with leaking oil. P0741 is an internal trans fluid leak. Do search for it. It's been discussed a million times.

Are you saying you broke 3 breaker bars trying to remove a hub assembly? Might try an impact. If that doesn't work, it's time for a blue tip wrench.

99Classillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex-99 Deville owner, Now-04 DTS and 05 DTS. ZX6R Pilot too.

Maybe the engine mounts? How many miles do you have? Have they ever been changed before? I've had my motor mounts replace on the 04 like 4 times in the 183k miles it's gone. They don't last long. If you're not misfiring or running lean, then the plenum is fine. Do you hear a clunk when you accelerate? Or get out the car, open hood. Push the car back while it's in park. The car isn't supposed to move. But with bad mounts, it will move slightly and you will see the motor tilt a lot.

No clunk of anything when I accerlate. I have about 97k on it. The only thing thats wierd is the vibration once the car warms up a little and iits every couple of seconds. Just got an impact wrench in the mail today so I am going to try that with the hub nut from hell.

Does it vibrate at idle or it vibrate while you're driving only?

it vibrate at idle only

If it only happens on idle, then your hubs have nothing to do with what's going on with the vibrating. I would double check the codes again. I think you may have a slight misfire going on that may or may not throw a code. i've had that happen, misfires with no codes. If not the misfire, check again for the engine mounts. Put the car in park, no parking brake. pop the hood and push the car backwards and look for engine movement. Those are about the only two things I can think of that would be causing a vibration at idle. It should be smooth. But since the car is not in motion, it rules out anything that rotates like the wheels, tires and hubs.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    To properly check the mounts, you have to torque brake.

Hood open, car in drive, foot FIRMLY on the brake. Bring the revs up to ~2,000 or so. The front of the engine should lift no more than an inch.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.