Just bought a 2005 Deville and have questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Just bought a 2005 Deville and have questions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The car didn't come with a warranty, dealership wants to sell aftermarket warranty, but not sure if that would be ...
    khowel1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Deville

Just bought a 2005 Deville and have questions

The car didn't come with a warranty, dealership wants to sell aftermarket warranty, but not sure if that would be a good choice as opposed to a GM warranty,
    the vehicle has 82,700 miles on it.
    I was speaking to a friend of mine that is a mechanic, says that the Northstar engine is a great engine, but says that the timing chains need to be replaced at
    around 100,000 miles as well as having the coolant flushed. Is it really necessary to change it out to make it last? I cannot find anything in the manual that came
    with the vehicle.
    This is my first Cadillac, and really like it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: Just bought a 2005 Cadillac Deville and have questions

Quote Originally Posted by khowel1 View Post
    The car didn't come with a warranty, dealership wants to sell aftermarket warranty, but not sure if that would be a good choice as opposed to a GM warranty,
    I was speaking to a friend of mine that is a mechanic, says that the Northstar engine is a great engine, but says that the timing chains need to be replaced at
    around 100,000 miles as well as having the coolant flushed. Is it really necessary to change it out to make it last? I cannot find anything in the manual that came
    with the vehicle.
    -------------------------------
    the timing chains need to be replaced at around 100,000 miles
    there is no set maintenance - or replacement period for timing chains -
    they typically last hundreds of thousands of miles -

as well as having the coolant flushed
    coolant should be replaced every 2 or 3 years -

--------------------
    The car didn't come with a warranty,
    dealership wants to sell aftermarket warranty,
    but not sure if that would be a good choice as opposed to a GM warranty,

your original GM warranty has long run out -
    5 year - or 50,000 miles - which ever came first -

as far as an aftermarket warranty goes -
    SOME are GREAT - and cover EVERYTHING - including a burned out lightbulb -

others aren't worth the paper they are written on -
    with all their "special exclusions" - or "deductible co-pays" -

the worth can also be determined by YOUR mechanical ability -

another factor is WHERE the car must be repaired -
    ANYWHERE? - or back to the selling dealer only -

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Just bought a 2005 Deville and have questions

Welcome to the Funny Farm !!

Read the owner's manual - twice. Then go way up ^^^ in the top black bar and study the entire Cadillac Technical Archive. Read each sticky post at the top of each forum page of interest. As time permits, surf through the pages of Cadillac Tech Tips (Discussions, Item Specific) - every possible question you may have is answered in there somewhere. Read the stickys concerning cooling system, fan operation, temp gauge interpretation and others at the top of Engines, Northstar.

Every question asked in these forums on a daily basis has already been exhaustively explained elsewhere in these forums. If you get stuck, try a Google search - sort of like "cadillac forums 2000-2005 deville coolant exchange".

Do NOT believe hype, hearsay, rumor, snake oil, magic potions or old wives' tales - research the problem, surf the Tech Tips threads and then if no joy, create your own thread. If your "friend" is not an accomplished FWD Northstar gearhead, take advice with a BIG grain of salt.

You might want to use the Profile and Settings tabs to update your profile so you see "latest posts first" - that gives you today at 2 PM instead of 2003 at 6 PM - right off the bat.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: Just bought a 2005 Deville and have questions

I'll second what Bass said. The timing chains will outlast the car. I don't know where your friend got his information, but it couldn't be more wrong.

If you are going to buy an aftermarket warranty, the best is through GM (IF your car will even qualify for it).

SGWORLDWIDE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Deville DTS (Sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by khowel1 View Post
    with the vehicle.
    There's more to worry about then a timing chain as our cars get older annoying things happen still great engine u won't finder a better one as tough or power balence its a shame gm was too late to save the engines reputation with all the hg issues wish gm would of improved on it north star v12 haha o well what could of been

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.