2002 DTS - need front struts
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2002 DTS - need front struts in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I need new front struts. My question is what set do I get? I already replaced the rear active suspension ...
  1. #1
    DonRSD's Avatar
    DonRSD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond Deville DTS
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Age
    34
    Posts
    163

    Question 2002 DTS - need front struts

    I need new front struts.

    My question is what set do I get?
    I already replaced the rear active suspension with a set of Monroe's. Now I want to replace the front.
    I'll lose the active suspension, but who cares. I already lost it in the back by buying some Monroe shocks

    What model struts will fit my 2002 Deville DTS with no additional assembly required?

    Also, will any service suspension warning come on?
    For the rear I DO NOT have a service message, nor am limited to 90 mph, as my mechanic put a resistor on the rear Monroe shocks.
    If a resistor is needed, what type of resistor?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Ranger's Avatar
    Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Woodstock Ill.
    Age
    66
    Posts
    73,358

    Re: 2002 DTS - need front struts

    You'll have to wire in a resistor for each of the fronts as well if you go with passive struts.

  4. #3
    DonRSD's Avatar
    DonRSD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond Deville DTS
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Age
    34
    Posts
    163

    Re: 2002 DTS - need front struts

    Quote Originally Posted by DonRSD View Post
    I need new front struts.

    My question is what set do I get?
    I already replaced the rear active suspension with a set of Monroe's. Now I want to replace the front.
    I'll lose the active suspension, but who cares. I already lost it in the back by buying some Monroe shocks

    What model struts will fit my 2002 Deville DTS with no additional assembly required?

    Also, will any service suspension warning come on?
    For the rear I DO NOT have a service message, nor am limited to 90 mph, as my mechanic put a resistor on the rear Monroe shocks.
    If a resistor is needed, what type of resistor?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    You'll have to wire in a resistor for each of the fronts as well if you go with passive struts.
    OK. Thanks.

    What kind of resistor?
    What kind of Monroe struts (an all in one assembly) can I purchase that are a direct fit & possible match for the rear Monroe struts that were a direct fit?

  5. #4
    Ranger's Avatar
    Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Woodstock Ill.
    Age
    66
    Posts
    73,358

    Re: 2002 DTS - need front struts

    I think some of the strut kits come with the proper resistor, but I'm not that familiar with it (never had an active system). Bass has posted replacement struts many times though.

  6. #5
    basscatt's Avatar
    basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    63
    Posts
    9,854

    Re: 2002 DTS - need front struts

    Quote Originally Posted by DonRSD View Post
    OK. Thanks.

    What kind of resistor?
    What kind of Monroe struts (an all in one assembly) can I purchase that are a direct fit & possible match for the rear Monroe struts that were a direct fit?
    -------------------------
    for the front struts on your 02 Deville DTS -
    you have a few options -

    to remain "ACTIVE" - the only option now - is to replace with OEM ACDelco units -


    a much more "reasonable" choice is to convert to "PASSIVE" -
    and here we have several choices -

    depending on the condition of all the other components within the strut assembly -
    Monroe 90014 KIT - $211.11 - with free shipping -
    http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-90014-S...ype=automotive

    includes EVERYTHING - except new springs - for BOTH sides -


    -----------------------------
    --------------------------------

    the next choice is the "QUICK STRUT" -
    Monroe 171685 - $124.05 - each - with free shipping -
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1ATZ3MAARQNEF

    this is the entire strut assembly - INCLUDING new springs -
    and it is already completely assembled - which will reduce the labor -

    NOTE - the coil spring included is based on the DHS/BASE model Deville -
    somewhat "softer" than the coil spring in the DTS model -

    -----------------

    in your particular case -
    your DTS has stiffer coil springs than the DHS and BASE models -
    you may want to keep the stiffer springs - or maybe not - the choice is yours -

    if you DO want to keep the stiffer springs -
    and you need the bearing plates - etc -
    go with the first choice - the 90014 KIT -

    OR - if all the other strut components are in good shape -
    just buy the bare strut -
    Monroe 71685 - $58.35 - each - with free shipping -
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1ATZ3MAARQNEF

    -----------------------------
    all three choices use the same great strut -
    whether it comes in the 90014 kit -
    the 171685 QUICK STRUT -
    or the bare 71685 strut -
    DonRSD and 94 sedan base like this.

  7. #6
    DonRSD's Avatar
    DonRSD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond Deville DTS
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Age
    34
    Posts
    163

    Re: 2002 DTS - need front struts

    Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    -------------------------
    for the front struts on your 02 Deville DTS -
    you have a few options -

    to remain "ACTIVE" - the only option now - is to replace with OEM ACDelco units -


    a much more "reasonable" choice is to convert to "PASSIVE" -
    and here we have several choices -

    depending on the condition of all the other components within the strut assembly -
    Monroe 90014 KIT - $211.11 - with free shipping -
    http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-90014-S...ype=automotive

    includes EVERYTHING - except new springs - for BOTH sides -


    -----------------------------
    --------------------------------

    the next choice is the "QUICK STRUT" -
    Monroe 171685 - $124.05 - each - with free shipping -
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1ATZ3MAARQNEF

    this is the entire strut assembly - INCLUDING new springs -
    and it is already completely assembled - which will reduce the labor -

    NOTE - the coil spring included is based on the DHS/BASE model Deville -
    somewhat "softer" than the coil spring in the DTS model -

    -----------------

    in your particular case -
    your DTS has stiffer coil springs than the DHS and BASE models -
    you may want to keep the stiffer springs - or maybe not - the choice is yours -

    if you DO want to keep the stiffer springs -
    and you need the bearing plates - etc -
    go with the first choice - the 90014 KIT -

    OR - if all the other strut components are in good shape -
    just buy the bare strut -
    Monroe 71685 - $58.35 - each - with free shipping -
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A1ATZ3MAARQNEF

    -----------------------------
    all three choices use the same great strut -
    whether it comes in the 90014 kit -
    the 171685 QUICK STRUT -
    or the bare 71685 strut -
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

    Your info was described perfectly and made perfect sense to a "non car guy" like myself.

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    -------------------------
    for the front struts on your 02 Deville DTS -
    you have a few options -
    As far as resistors, what kind to I ask for at Radio Shack?

  8. #7
    MoistCabbage's Avatar
    MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East Boston MA.
    Age
    26
    Posts
    21,401
    4.7K ohm, 1/2 watt resistors. A 5 pack costs $1.19 last I checked.
    DonRSD likes this.

  9. #8
    5280's Avatar
    5280 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DTS, 2005 Suzuki GSXR 600
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    59

    Re: 2002 DTS - need front struts

    I have a 2000 DTS and replaced my old struts with KYB's. They're stiffer, and I like it that way. Handles great, and I'm satisfied.

  10. #9
    basscatt's Avatar
    basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    63
    Posts
    9,854

    Re: 2002 DTS - need front struts

    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    4.7K ohm, 1/2 watt resistors. A 5 pack costs $1.19 last I checked.
    ------------------------
    RadioShack #271-1124
    DonRSD likes this.

  11. #10
    DonRSD's Avatar
    DonRSD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond Deville DTS
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Age
    34
    Posts
    163

    Re: 2002 DTS - need front struts

    How are the resistors put in?

  12. #11
    DonRSD's Avatar
    DonRSD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond Deville DTS
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Age
    34
    Posts
    163

    Re: 2002 DTS - need front struts

    Ok. Struts are installed, but now I get speed limited to 90 / service suspension system.

    Any help!!??

  13. #12
    basscatt's Avatar
    basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    63
    Posts
    9,854

    Re: 2002 DTS - need front struts

    Quote Originally Posted by DonRSD View Post
    Ok. Struts are installed, but now I get speed limited to 90 / service suspension system.

    Any help!!??
    -------------------------------
    check for codes -

    did you install the resistors?

  14. #13
    DonRSD's Avatar
    DonRSD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 White Diamond Deville DTS
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Age
    34
    Posts
    163

    Re: 2002 DTS - need front struts

    Quote Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
    -------------------------------
    check for codes -

    did you install the resistors?
    Dont know how to install the resistors.........
    How would I install them?

  15. #14
    99Classillac's Avatar
    99Classillac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Ex-99 Deville owner, Now-04 DTS and 05 DTS. ZX6R Pilot too.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Upper Marlboro, MD
    Age
    31
    Posts
    822

    Re: 2002 DTS - need front struts

    Monroe makes active shocks and struts for the DTS's too.... ACDelco's aren't the only maker. But, Monroe actives still aren't much cheaper. But they seem to last longer than the ACDelcos. The 04 DTS has 110K miles on the Monroe struts and it feels like my 05 DTS with ACDelcos with 77K miles. My original Delco struts on the 04 only made it to 68k miles before they started leaking. I fell lucky my 05 struts havent started up already. I'm going to go with the active replacements though. I love active suspension.

  16. #15
    basscatt's Avatar
    basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    63
    Posts
    9,854

    Re: 2002 DTS - need front struts

    Quote Originally Posted by DonRSD View Post
    Dont know how to install the resistors.........
    How would I install them?
    ------------------------
    the "quick and dirty" method -

    hold the actual resister between your thumb and index finger -

    bend the two wires into a "U" -

    stick the two wires into the plug that the struts and shocks used to plug into -

    wrap with electrical tape -
    or better yet - use heat-shrink tubing -
    to hold the resistor in place - and waterproof the connection -

    and be sure the wires don't touch each other -

    ----------------
    the resistors take the place of the original electronics
    in the original struts and shocks -

    they have no function - other than "fooling" the suspension computer -
    into believing the electronic struts and shocks are still there - and working -

    ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by 99Classillac View Post
    Monroe makes active shocks and struts for the DTS's too.... ACDelco's aren't the only maker. But, Monroe actives still aren't much cheaper. But they seem to last longer than the ACDelcos. The 04 DTS has 110K miles on the Monroe struts and it feels like my 05 DTS with ACDelcos with 77K miles. My original Delco struts on the 04 only made it to 68k miles before they started leaking. I fell lucky my 05 struts havent started up already. I'm going to go with the active replacements though. I love active suspension.
    ---------------------------
    Monroe makes active shocks and struts for the DTS's too.
    Monroe USED to make "ACTIVE" struts and shocks -
    they are no longer available -

    ACDelco's aren't the only maker
    actually - yes - they are - if you want to stay "ACTIVE" -
    DonRSD likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting