Sideview mirror turned gold
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Sideview mirror turned gold in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just bought a 96 Sedan DeVille and the drivers side mirror is gold while the passanger mirror is normal? ...
    feef706 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Sideview mirror turned gold

I just bought a 96 Sedan DeVille and the drivers side mirror is gold while the passanger mirror is normal? Is this a defect? Its kinda bothering me because it turns all the headlights really yellow. Do I just need to get a new mirror insert? Thanks James

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: Sideview mirror turned gold

Yeah Id get a new mirror... Check the junkyard and see if you could just get a whole new mirror assy...

pink panther is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Wait for an answer from a Cadillac owner.

I was going to ask a question about the same situation, except I was wondering why my right mirror wasn't gold tinted.

Do you have a small button center bottom of the interior rear view mirror?

Does it push up when pressed straight up gently??

Is there a small dim greenish glow when the button is depressed (up)??

If so - your Caddy has something called a photochromatic mirrors.

That is, they automatically dim, by a photochromatic system, when headlights appear from behind you..

If you replace the left assembly -you lose a valuable option.

Tonight, I discovered the button, and then I noticed that my left outside rear view mirror dimmed also.

I've only had my 94 Deville (Pink Panther) for 4 days and loving it more each day.

I am looking for an owner's manual for my 94 deville, in order to discover all the wonderful hidden goodies this car has...

100 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)

95 Sedan DeVille. Mine has the gold driver side mirror too.
    And navigator side is silver.

I thought it was cool. But you are right, because the light
    appears on the interior mirror that is silver is different when
    on the driver side mirror, I sometimes get confused like "Is
    this yellowish light the same one I just saw in the interior
    mirror?"

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre
    A buddy of mine bought a car that had dimming outside mirrors. When he had it for a test drive one of them had black blotches all over the place. I think the lot he bought the car from just stuck a normal replacement mirror ontop of it because the mirror itself on that side sticks out a bit further then the other side does. If there is something wrong with yours maybe you can find a place to replace it somewhere. or like Wes said you can try to get one from a junk yard.

Slick Black Cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Side Mirror

The side mirror is photochromatic (unadjustable tint). This means that it is manufactured with a "gold" light absorbing coating on it. Unlike the rearview mirror inside the car which is electrochromatic (electronically tints when a light source hits it); the coating on the side mirror puts the mirror in a permanant dimming mode (it's cheaper that way). The passenger side is a standard mirror, nothing fancy, because it is not intended to be directed into the drivers eyes. The 95 Concours and all Cadillacs beginning in 97 switched to an electrochromatic side mirror to eliminate the "gold" appearance and create a "standard" reflection during the day time. You cannot put a newer electrochromatic mirror in place of your photochromatic one, the supporting electronics don't exist on your model. I'd just leave it alone and enjoy its function at night when a big 4x4 puts its lights on you.

feef706 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by pink panther
    Wait for an answer from a Cadillac owner.

I was going to ask a question about the same situation, except I was wondering why my right mirror wasn't gold tinted.

Do you have a small button center bottom of the interior rear view mirror?

Does it push up when pressed straight up gently??

Is there a small dim greenish glow when the button is depressed (up)??

If so - your Caddy has something called a photochromatic mirrors.

That is, they automatically dim, by a photochromatic system, when headlights appear from behind you..

If you replace the left assembly -you lose a valuable option.

Tonight, I discovered the button, and then I noticed that my left outside rear view mirror dimmed also.

I've only had my 94 Deville (Pink Panther) for 4 days and loving it more each day.

I am looking for an owner's manual for my 94 deville, in order to discover all the wonderful hidden goodies this car has...
    Check ebay for the owners manual, they are usually all over the place on there. As far as my photochomatic mirror on the inside I already knew how that worked but I just dont understand why my drivers mirror is gold while the passanger mirror is silver? Is that just how they make it? I mean I guess it helps with the light a little but I wish It wasnt gold all the time. Thanks for all the help, James

Slick Black Cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Side Mirror

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Black Cadillac
    The side mirror is photochromatic (unadjustable tint). This means that it is manufactured with a "gold" light absorbing coating on it. Unlike the rearview mirror inside the car which is electrochromatic (electronically tints when a light source hits it); the coating on the side mirror puts the mirror in a permanant dimming mode (it's cheaper that way). The passenger side is a standard mirror, nothing fancy, because it is not intended to be directed into the drivers eyes. The 95 Concours and all Cadillacs beginning in 97 switched to an electrochromatic side mirror to eliminate the "gold" appearance and create a "standard" reflection during the day time. You cannot put a newer electrochromatic mirror in place of your photochromatic one, the supporting electronics don't exist on your model. I'd just leave it alone and enjoy its function at night when a big 4x4 puts its lights on you.
    James, Read This Again

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.