Added Rain Sense to 98 DeVille
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ranger
  • 1 Post By Goldencletus
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Added Rain Sense to 98 DeVille in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; This DIY is for anyone wanting to convert from Pulse Wipers to Rainsense Option(CE1) Rainsense automatically turns on wipers using ...
    rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Added Rain Sense to 98 DeVille

This DIY is for anyone wanting to convert from Pulse Wipers to Rainsense Option(CE1)
    Rainsense automatically turns on wipers using Infared LED's and sensors inside the windshield sensor mounted next to rearview mirror.
    This works on Delay only, low and high wipers act as normal.

This was done on a 98 DeVille, should be same for 97-99 DeVille's and similiar for Seville models.
    I tried to include what models to get parts from based off interchanges and dealer sites.
    It would be best to get everything from same car if possible.
    I have included wiring diagrams, connector end views and pics of actual conversion. Minor details like exactly how I joined wires may not
    be included. I recommend soldering all the connections and using heat shrink. DO NOT USE Scotch Locks, if you cannot join two wires without them don't do this conversion.

Do your homework, double check what you're hacking into and as always I take NO responsibility for you dorking your car up following these instructions.
    If I missed something or you need something else clarified or added/changed let me know.
    If your car DOES NOT have mirror with auto dark and or compass in it(read has an electrical connection on back) you will need additional wiring since the Rain Sensor taps into
    this wiring above the mirror, It may or may not be above head liner.
    Parts Needed
    ACDelco 25645365 Windshield Washer Mist Sensor Cleaning Kit
    This kit has the necessary adhesive to attach the rain sensor to windshield, not using this will cause the system to not operate as designed.

Everything else used:
    Wiper motor GM 22137898 (HOLLANDER INTERCHANGE 620-00821M)
    found on these models and prob more:
    96-97 SEVILLE WITH OPT CE1
    96 DEVILLE CONCOURS
    97-99 DEVILLE WITH OPT CE1
    96-02 ELDORADO WITH OPT CE1
    Technically you only need the Motor head off the above motors as the motor is the same, but costs the same to get whole motor usually.

You also need the wire harness going to the wiper motor head(the large 8 wire not the 3 wire at end of motor).
    This connector is found on many other GM vehicles so if it's missing on your donor car check around(wire colors irrelevant)
    A new connector will cost $30+ retail.

I got the entire wiper motor wiring to include the 3 wire connector just for testing and to verify the wiring and what GM did.

Rain Sensor for inside windshield AND the harness.
    The Rain Sensor model you need is 5 wire NOT 4 wire.
    I have listed several model numbers below that either I have and work or others have given me from their cars(and the one from GM parts site)
    My 97 DeVille: LOST THE STUPID NUMBER I WROTE DOWN!!
    The number I used was 25657767(was listed as 97 STS)
    One currently on 98 GM parts site: 25713342

Here is what GM lists for interchange:

Cadillac Concours 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
    Cadillac Concours 4 DR 1996
    Cadillac Concours DEVILLE 4 DR 1997
    Cadillac Concours SEVILLE 4 DR 1996, 1997
    Cadillac D'Elegance 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
    Cadillac D'Elegance CONCOURS 4 DR 1996
    Cadillac D'Elegance DEVILLE 4 DR 1997
    Cadillac D'Elegance SEVILLE 4 DR 1996, 1997
    Cadillac Deville 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
    Cadillac Deville 4 DR 1997
    Cadillac Deville CONCOURS 4 DR 1996
    Cadillac Deville SEVILLE 4 DR 1996, 1997
    Cadillac Deville Touring 1998, 1999
    Cadillac Eldorado 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
    Cadillac Eldorado Touring 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
    Cadillac Hearse 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
    Cadillac Hearse CONCOURS 4 DR 1996
    Cadillac Hearse DEVILLE 4 DR 1997
    Cadillac Hearse SEVILLE 4 DR 1996, 1997
    Cadillac High Luxury 1998, 1999
    Cadillac Limousine 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
    Cadillac Limousine CONCOURS 4 DR 1996
    Cadillac Limousine DEVILLE 4 DR 1997
    Cadillac Limousine SEVILLE 4 DR 1996, 1997
    Cadillac Seville 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
    Cadillac Seville 4 DR 1996, 1997
    Cadillac Seville CONCOURS 4 DR 1996
    Cadillac Seville DEVILLE 4 DR 1997

You will also need wire, solder gun, tape etc for splicing into existing wiring and running new wires.

THE TURN SIGNAL STALK IS THE SAME REGARDLESS OF RAINSENSE OPTION OR NOT
    The NON Rainsense DOES NOT have the word "AUTO" above Delay on the Stalk, the specs are the same and it worked fine.

Before modifying any wiring I recommend you UNHOOK THE BATTERY.
    I would run all your wires then modify(hook into existing wires), once you start your wipers may or may not work until you complete the conversion.
    When cutting off connectors cut back a ways so if you have to reconnect you have plenty of wire to work with.

Wire changes needed INSIDE
    3 new wires need to be run from rain sensor on window to under the dash, I ran from sunroof wiring area to the drivers side and down the A Pillar.
    ONE of these will need to be run out to the wiper motor(I drilled a hole in the throttle cable/wiring connector to run the wire)
    The PINK wire on main column connector PIN E9 will need to be cut, the PINK wire from the rain sensor gets connected to PINK wire going to the stalk. Simple enough.
    LT BLUE from rain sensor will be connected to the PINK wire cut that goes to wiper motor(basically you are routing PINK through the Rain Sensor now)
    LT GRN will be run directly to the wiper motor from the Rain Sensor
    Ground and power wires from rain sensor are soldered into mirror wiring. Refer to mirror wiring for proper wires.

Use the Rain Sensor mount/clean kit to mount the rain sensor to the frt window.
    Wasn't very difficult at all, the kit is extremely easy to use and took maybe an hr total with dorking around.

OUTSIDE
    The entire wiper motor can be changed or just the MOTOR HEAD, if you live in the salt belt i would change the whole motor as 2 of the torx head screws from my donor motor snapped instantly even with BP Blaster.
    The motor is exactly the same, just the heads are different, pay attention to the cam position when swapping the motor heads. Use sealant on the motor head when reattaching it.

Outside at the wiper motor, cut tape off exsisting wiring going to both wiper motor connectors.
    You will need to solder in the new 8 pin connector based off wiring diagrams.
    The pins are phisically different between the 2 motor heads though so you cannot just pop the pins out and insert into the new connector.
    I had to change half the wires on my new connector as they were in very poor shape, I just soldered them on to the old pins, new pins should be available also.
    Not a high stress area so I'm not worried about them coming off.

Basically at the wiper motor you have to solder color for color for most, 8 wires total
    RED/BLK from OLD to RED NEW 8 pin
    BLU/WHT from OLD to DK BLU NEW 8 pin
    DK GRN/WHT from OLD to DK GRN NEW 8 pin
    YEL/BLK from OLD to YEL NEW 8 pin
    GRY TO GRY
    Run 1 new wire from inside(LT GRN) to NEW 8 pin
    solder 1 wire from new 8 pin wiring into existing 3 pin wiring to motor (PPL wires). I joined near the point the two harness for motor split.
    Solder OLD PINK to LT BLUE on 8 pin connector (you are using OLD PINK for this circuit so don't have to run two new wires)

Tape it up and hook em up.
    My total cost was less than $75 for this conversion. I had Ebay searches for items I needed and bought when dirt cheap over the last few months. Amazon has mounting kit for less than $20 most of the time.

NON RAIN SENSE WIRING

RAIN SENSE WIRING

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Re: Added Rain Sense to 98 DeVille

Outstanding job!!!!

Could this be added to the Tech Tip Section for reference?

The Donald is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville delagance

If your car doesnt have rain sense consider yourself lucky because mine is nothing but trouble . Have we gotten to the point that we are so lazy that we cant even turn on our windshield wipers I dont think that requires much thought or effort. I mean really its just another electronic device that someday will become another headache. I wish they would have left this pita off of mine. However you did put some thought and work into this and I congratulate you on that. Good show........

Wouldn't be difficult to change out actually Donald, all you would need is a different motor head and a connector to it.
    Your rain sensor is probably defective if I had to gander a guess or was installed incorrectly as when someone doesn't mount right they don't work properly.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by 98eldo32v View Post

Could this be added to the Tech Tip Section for reference?
    Done
    98eldo32v likes this.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Hmmm.... sometime I should look at a 96+ and see what the differences are between that and a 94.

Goldencletus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 DeVille Concours, 2004 Nissan 350Z Roadster

My 98 Concours has rainsense, I love it, it's not a matter of laziness at all. I can't stand it, even on intermittent, when the wipers are clearing a dry windshield (and the vibrating dry blades). This is a convenience/performance feature that keeps wiper blades from operating when they don't need to!
    maeng9981 likes this.

The Donald is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville delagance

Quote Originally Posted by Goldencletus View Post
    My 98 Concours has rainsense, I love it, it's not a matter of laziness at all. I can't stand it, even on intermittent, when the wipers are clearing a dry windshield (and the vibrating dry blades). This is a convenience/performance feature that keeps wiper blades from operating when they don't need to!
    I still say its an uneeded PITA (at least it is for me) I've never had any wiper come on ( dry windshield) and ruin the windshield, and Ive been driving for 65 years..

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I tend to agree. I disabled it on mine and my wife's car.

RainSense is a lot like liver. You either love it or you hate it.

Goldencletus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 DeVille Concours, 2004 Nissan 350Z Roadster

WC Fields said the liver was in fact "evil, and should be punished", I still like the Rain Sense, and I wasn't inferring that wipers operating on a dry windshield would damage the windshield, just maybe, shorten the life of the blades.

kidzstang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '98 Cadillac Concours

Quote Originally Posted by Goldencletus View Post
    WC Fields said the liver was in fact "evil, and should be punished", I still like the Rain Sense, and I wasn't inferring that wipers operating on a dry windshield would damage the windshield, just maybe, shorten the life of the blades.
    I'm with you! I love my rainsense wipers! I used to spend alot of time in Europe and most rental cars have it over there.

The thing I miss most that they have over there (which I think is illegal here) is heated windshields. Never any fog on the windshield and you don't have to have air blowing in your face.

I drive 1500 to 2000 miles a week and there ain't nothing like rainsense!

Oh, and congrats to Rodnok for figuring his out!

Well wife happy with Rain Sense install so guess it's working alright so far. Heavy rains couple days this week so it got a workout. She's getting spoiled... Bluetooth, rainsense, backup camera, remote start, new HU. Says she likes DeVille better than her PA now. Still wants me to figure out why seat heaters work better in my car. Jeez...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.