having problems with the cooling system.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, having problems with the cooling system. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello all I have an 88 Coupe Deville. I am having problems with the cooling system. It started with the ...
    lunaemt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

having problems with the cooling system.

Hello all I have an 88 Coupe Deville. I am having problems with the cooling system. It started with the check coolant, temp, fan light coming on. So I posted that problem about a month ago. The help I got seemed to work for about 2 weeks or so. Then someone told me to change the radiator cap. That seemed to work for another 2 weeks. Now the light went back on and fluid level is back down. The coolant system does not seem to have a leak. The thermostat seems to open when I run the car with the cap off the level will drop when it gets warm and I can see the fluid running through the fins. But no matter how full it is the level drops about 3 to 4in. was wondering if that is normal. What happens is that the overflow tank is right above full cold line. But when I drive the light comes on and the car never feels hotter than normal. But all the fluid seems to run out the top of the overflow tank. I was told it could be building too much pressure. But was never told how or what I could do about it. My main question is could this be the water pump or thermostat? How would I know if either one is bad? Also someone told me it could be a blown head gasket. But the oil is not cloudy it does not over heat. There is no white smoke and the coolant seems clean. I do hear a gurgling sound in the dash when I step on the gas pedal. Any help would be appreciated I am a little short on money right now so any thing I can do myself I will.

Please help thanks in advance Los

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
    This thread (http://cadillacforums.com/forums/sho...?threadid=4307 ) should answer some of your questions. The gurgling is probably air bubbles in the heater core.

CadillacJack76 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02 eldo collectors series, 98 eldo, 97 deville, 96+94 SLS,

Re: having problems with the cooling system.

It sounds to me that it could be your thermostat screwing up, thats the first thing I would shoot for, next would be a clog in the cooling system, the noise you said you were hearing? Is it a gurgling or a bumping noise, I had a Seville that the anti freeze froze and I didnt find out untill about 10 miles into my trip, when the fluid started to thaw it made gurgling and bumping noises, basically the system was clogged, do you see where I am going with this? The fluiding overflowing out of the overflow tank leads me to beleive you have some sort of a restriction in the system, and when the car heats up the blockage clears and in rushes all that fluid, it could be that it rushes in so quickly that it has no where to go except for the overflow tank? But as I said earlier, I would shoot for the thermostat first, then start thinking about a clog in the system, if you take it to get the cooling system flushed they should be able to either determine if you have a clog or the clog just might get pushed out, oh also, try turning the heat on once the car is hot then topping off the fluid to make sure the fluid is getting into the heater core, and when you get the fluid level topped off, right before you put the radiator cap on, kick up the idle a little bit to drop the coolant level and add some more fluid making sure your idle is high the whole time and re-apply the cap, then let your idle down, that pressurizes the system a little, that might help with the clog, as I was sitting here typing this I just had another thought, maybee once your car gets hot one of your hoses are collapsing, my 87 deville's (I owned that car for 340,000 miles) top hose (one next to air filter) had collapsed once, so check that out, if the hoses are old, go ahead and replace em! But try that top one first. I hope you don't fall asleep reading this book I just wrote but I always like to help when I can, and let me know what you find out!

Good luck, Jack

lunaemt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: having problems with the cooling system.

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacJack76
    It sounds to me that it could be your thermostat screwing up, thats the first thing I would shoot for, next would be a clog in the cooling system, the noise you said you were hearing? Is it a gurgling or a bumping noise, I had a Seville that the anti freeze froze and I didnt find out untill about 10 miles into my trip, when the fluid started to thaw it made gurgling and bumping noises, basically the system was clogged, do you see where I am going with this? The fluiding overflowing out of the overflow tank leads me to beleive you have some sort of a restriction in the system, and when the car heats up the blockage clears and in rushes all that fluid, it could be that it rushes in so quickly that it has no where to go except for the overflow tank? But as I said earlier, I would shoot for the thermostat first, then start thinking about a clog in the system, if you take it to get the cooling system flushed they should be able to either determine if you have a clog or the clog just might get pushed out, oh also, try turning the heat on once the car is hot then topping off the fluid to make sure the fluid is getting into the heater core, and when you get the fluid level topped off, right before you put the radiator cap on, kick up the idle a little bit to drop the coolant level and add some more fluid making sure your idle is high the whole time and re-apply the cap, then let your idle down, that pressurizes the system a little, that might help with the clog, as I was sitting here typing this I just had another thought, maybee once your car gets hot one of your hoses are collapsing, my 87 deville's (I owned that car for 340,000 miles) top hose (one next to air filter) had collapsed once, so check that out, if the hoses are old, go ahead and replace em! But try that top one first. I hope you don't fall asleep reading this book I just wrote but I always like to help when I can, and let me know what you find out!

Good luck, Jack

Thanks Jack. I did all that you mentioned and even replaced the thermostat. It is still overflowing. Talked to a GM master mechanic and he seem to think itís a blown head gasket. He thinks the leak is pressurizing the cooling system. Thatís why all the fluid runs out but the engine is never all that hot. So it looks like I will be really busy this weekend replacing them. Thanks for all the help.

Does anyone know of a how to for a blown head gasket? I did a search but could not find one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.