2001 Deville - multiple problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2001 Deville - multiple problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey everybody I have been lurking about for a while trying to diagnose issues with a 2001 Deville. This site ...
    Joe_B is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville

2001 Deville - multiple problems

Hey everybody
    I have been lurking about for a while trying to diagnose issues with a 2001 Deville.
    This site has been helpful and saved me hours and some sanity.

I have finally registered, and hope some insight can be shed on my new issue with this car. I have considered just selling this thing before I regret it.

I acquired a 2001 deville that was in seemingly decent shape for nothing. That's right free.
    it had 100k on it, new battery, tires, belts, plugs, tranny fluid, oil. Clean, heated leather, great paint - Arizona car. Seemed too good to be true.
    It was.

first thing I noticed was that the car would try to kill you while driving down the highway. Im in Minnesota, and it is a pretty cold winter this year.
    Icy and snow packed roads are the norm. This car was unpredictable and gave no confidence at all on the road. the back end would dart left and right.
    It felt like it tried to jump in to the ditch.

The bad news.

The car needed front axles, hubs, rotors, and breaks.

Ok, not too bad 700 bucks. Also It was about an inch out from front to back alignment, hence the scary highway manners.
    Tires are another issue, but needles to say winter treads would help.

back shocks, a disaster. oil leaking and boots were cracked.
    Installed new max air 822- but guess what? No air. ( Funny NAPA wanted $502 a piece, I think they were $62 a pair)

Ok compressor was smoked, I didn't mess with it, installed Monroe ak29 air line, inflated to 30 psi - done.

Rack and pinion was hemorrhaging fluid - new steering rack.

The car is finally running ok for about 2 days. then "check gas cap" PCM 0440

WTF? I've found this can be many things but I'm not to worried .

Today I'm getting concerned.
    I accelerated from a stop to bout 40 mph, but when I stopped RPMS did not fall.
    Pulled into a gas station and felt I was really breaking hard, taking my foot of the pedal the was unusually fast.
    RPMS were staying high like 2250 - put it in park, idle was 1500 RPMS. not cool.

Now I notice the idle will drop back down to normal (650) but as soon as I drive the car they are high again like 1000-1250

I have noticed this is a common, it is on many forums and youtube. I hope someone has had some experience with this,

Here are my code:

IRC u1016 history
    PCM p0440 current
    PCM p0507 current
    RIM c0625 history
    RIM c0660 history

Any and all help is appreciated. Hopefully this will go better. I'd like to keep the car.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 2001 Deville - multiple problems

The 2000-2003's had a bad CKP sensor manufacturer and virtually ALL fail sooner or later. I've replaced both of mine. They DO NOT always set a DTC and that may well be the cause of your stalling. You can get them on Amazon (A/C Delco sensors) for at $77 shipped.

As for your high RPM, I'd strongly advise a good TB cleaning. That's probably all it needs. There is a tutorial in the Tech Tips section should you need it.

P.S.
    Codes are useless without their definitions. No one has them memorized.

P.P.S.
    Attached Images

Thanks Ranger,

P0440 - Evaporative Emission System
    P0507 - Idle Air Control System RPM Higher Than Expected

these are my current codes, I didn't really think about the explanation part - sorry.

I'm not stalling, I'm not rough idle either, just a high RPM that doesn't fall quickly, it stays high.
    I do notice a possibly low idle at start, sounds a little like a big cam. This has been gradually getting worse over a couple of weeks.
    I've noticed the high idle when coming of the high way before, it started about the time I was getting p0440 check gas cap.
    I wonder if the two are related.

thanks again.

The check gas cap message is related to the P0440 code and means that you have a vacuum leak in the EVAP system (view A & B). Any vacuum leak can cause a high idle, but based on what you said, I'd still lean towards a dirty TB.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...-019&SortKey=8

I will clean out TB tonight and reply if conditions change. It's the cheapest route, hopefully the problem.

thanks

quick update.
    TB was a disaster. varnish inside and out. cleaned it for an hour.
    cleaned MAS - cleaned idle air control, cleaned air box.

I took her out and flogged her hard. Things seem to be better. RPMs are falling faster and throttle responds better. No more sticky high RPMs.
    I was wondering if anyone knows where the RPMs should be at idle.
    I am at 775 in drive at a stop, and about 900 in park with the car at temp; this seems high.

FWIW I took out the idle air control and the plunger was fully extended, it didn't seem to move when I pushed on it lightly. Is this normal?
    Also, it is cold here like 5 degrees, before the TB cleaning the car would idle at 600 RPM cold, now it is idling about 1100 rpms, untill warm.

thanks

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Your engine should (cold) start at ~1200 rpm for 10 - 20 seconds, drop to 900 for a while longer, then to 650 or so in gear.

There are PCM adjustments that automatically maintain 650 rpm under A/C cycling, electrical load change, and P - N - D changes......... IAC plunger opening.

.......... and some of this depends on your location - ambient temperatures. Please update your profile; Location does make a difference in advice offered. 5 degrees ? Run the car normally for at least 15 miles before attempting any power runs or WOT.

thanks submariner

I at 750 in gear at temp. and 850 - 900 in park

I'm wondering about the IAC. Is there a test for this ?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

IAC performance checks - That would be in the diagnostic trees in either the GM/Helm service manuals - www.helminc.com - or in www.alldatadiy.com

thanks again,
    I will guess that AC delco is the way to go. I know its spendy, but I would like it to work.

When you cleaned the TB did you clean the back side of the throttle plate as well as the perimeter where it mates to the TB bore? Any carbon there would hold the throttle open enough to raise the RPM.

Thanks Ranger
    Yep, I cleaned the bore inside and out- (a lot more inside) . Also the plate and perimeter edges of the plate.
    Pulled the IAC cleaned it with electrical cleaner and air, also cleaned the port the IAC inserts into.

RPMS this morning were 750 in gear at stop, and 900 in park. Car was a full temp.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.