1999 DeVille - hard to shift out of Park
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 1999 DeVille - hard to shift out of Park in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; It is hard to shift out of Park to go into Reverse or Drive. Is it the shift cable or ...
    bigchuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): deville

1999 DeVille - hard to shift out of Park

It is hard to shift out of Park to go into Reverse or Drive. Is it the shift cable or something in the Column or Trans?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

maeng9981 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 14 SRX, 12 Sierra, 00 SLS, 99 Deville 50-year Anniversary

Re: 1999 DeVille - hard to shift out of Park

Are you parking on a grade? If so, your parking pawl is taking all the weight of your car to hold the vehicle in park. It's a small transmission part that engages mechanically (locks into a physical gear) when your shifter is moved to Park(P). Holding a vehicle with the parking pawl only on any grade is not good for the parking pawl itself and it will make you put more effort to release it from the parking position. Always engage your parking brake first before releasing foot brake after shifting to park.

bigchuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): deville

No. It is even hard just park in the garage. It has always been easy but the last couple of weeks it has been hard to put into gear, especially when you try to put it into reverse or drive from Park! I am going to remove the cable from the gear shift and trans and see if that is my problem. I will check the column first to see if the shift lever moves easier. If it does, I will remove the cable from the Trans and check the cable for binding. Nothing has been done on the Shift column or anything removed or replace in the engine compartment to cause this. I would appreciate any information on this problem!

spotty is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 96 Concours, 05 DHS

I had this problem a few years ago on our 96 Deville (probably 200K miles at that point). The design is probably similar. In our case, it turned out to be a stuck shift cam on the steering column. It's located on the top of the column about a foot down from the steering wheel. I'm going from memory but as I recall, the cam pivots on a steel sleeve that is knurled on top. On ours, the cam was binding to the steel sleeve. I think the sleeve unscrews from a post, but it was a real pain to get off because it was stuck to the cam. The steel sleeve is about 1/2 in diameter and maybe 1/2 inch long.

I was not able to find a new replacement sleeve (probably a $2 part when they were available) so I had to call salvage yards, who all wanted to sell me a complete steering column. I did find one guy who grudgingly sold me one for $50 or so. If I had to do it again, I'd consider trying to trim the old sleeve on a lathe. I made sure to grease the replacement sleeve before reassembling the cam to the steering column.

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

I might take my 97 apart Spotty and look for this issue when I look into this soon, it's been hard to shit since I got it. Not crazy hard but harder than it should be.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.