check oil level
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, check oil level in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; On my 04 DHS this pops on after about roughly a month and a half to two months after getting ...
    GM_Ridin' is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 cadillac deville dhs

check oil level

On my 04 DHS this pops on after about roughly a month and a half to two months after getting an oil change. Im not sure if I'm burning oil or if there's a leak. Has anyone experienced this and have pointers about it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kidzstang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '98 Cadillac Concours

Re: check oil level

There is a good explanation in the tech tips but if you see no leaks (which are sometimes hard to find) then you are using it through the combustion process. This isn't bad per se'. Oil usage is much better expressed in mileage than in time; if you travel 1,000 miles per week, then your oil usage is probably about average..

There are plenty of places for the oil to leak. Oil plug, oil pan gasket, cam cover gasket, oil cooler lines/connections, main seals.

My question to you is why, considering that you are concerned about oil usage, would you rely on the oil level sensor? Why not lift the hood to check the dip stick (or does this car not have a dip stick; as the new Jag's have no oil dipstick)? I mean sensors fail.

Cheers,
    Jack

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The engine has an oil dipstick - use it to verify the possibility that the engines is or is not low on oil. The proper level is in the middle of the hashmarks - XXXXXXXXX - The "check oil level" message usually shows when oil has dropped to just about the very tip of the dipstick - 1.5 to 2 quarts low. Use the dipstick to set proper level; not some guess factor.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by GM_Ridin' View Post
    Im not sure if I'm burning oil or if there's a leak.
    Only one way to find out. Get under it and see if it is wet.

Has anyone experienced this and have pointers about it?
    Many people have. Read up on "Oil Consumption" up in the Technical Archives at the upper left (black bar) of this page. I think that is what kidzstang was referring to.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    And why occasional WOT operation is beneficial to your engine.

04GrandAmGT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS, 04 Grand Am GT,07 Cobalt(Dont Judge,My fuel Saver)

my dts goes through so much oil i wonder if oil changes are needed ... lol jk. i go through about 2-3 quarts per ~600 miles. though i would say about 80-90% of that leaks onto the ground.

----------

all Pre 2003.5 N* burn a bit of oil on avg. about one quart per oil change cycle, im not 100% sure about the 2003.5 and up N* Jake would know
    Replacing the Head Gaskets on a Northstar? Use our SureGrip Cylinder Head Stud Kit!

knotgoalie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 DHS

My .02CDN...My 04 DHS is showing 30% oil life left and when I pull the stick/wipe/ insert etc., it shows to be not only full but dead clean to boot! No burning, leaking or use (215,000km)? No engine retains all of its oil btween changes so WTF?

I don't have a long history with this car being that I purchased it Oct. 4th-13 but so far it seems to have dodged every potential bullet there might be involved with this engine (no complaints at all dear Karma) but the oil thing does puzzle me. Every engine depletes its oil supply to some degree or something is not right??? FWIW, it is my nature to never trust any machine new to me.

J.R.

Oil life and oil level are completely unrelated.

A small amount of oil consumption won't be easily noticeable on the dipstick.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

A good Northstar uses essentially no or little oil between normal changes. My STS engine goes over 7,000 miles/quart. The Ford 4.6s in the trucks go over 7,500 miles/quart (and the truck oil is 5W-20).

I change my STS oil/filter each March, about 6500 - 8000 miles, and it drains out as a clear amber color. About 45 - 55 % on the OLM. The engine is NOT "babied" - I run the snot out of it wherever, whenever - and there's a big difference between exercising an engine and abuse.

GM's Northstar oil consumption "desired" rate is 2,000 miles/quart or greater.

Bear with me Sub, I'm learning the N*...my previous 85 SDV had the sucky but durable (for me anyway) 4.1 and the 04 is a learning curve to be sure. Little motor, serious power and a great car. There seems to be an exception to "if its too good to be true"...it is a fine running N* that does not seem to want to let me down!

J.R.

Do my eyes deceive me? "4.1" and "durable" in the same sentence?

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    You heard me, drove it, beat it, towed with it and it never failed me in the least. It was a low powered gas pig but it never broke down on me. I sold it because I never used it after we opened a business and I needed a truck (F150).

J.R.

kidzstang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '98 Cadillac Concours

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner409 View Post
    A good Northstar uses essentially no or little oil between normal changes. My STS engine goes over 7,000 miles/quart. The Ford 4.6s in the trucks go over 7,500 miles/quart (and the truck oil is 5W-20).

I change my STS oil/filter each March, about 6500 - 8000 miles, and it drains out as a clear amber color. About 45 - 55 % on the OLM. The engine is NOT "babied" - I run the snot out of it wherever, whenever - and there's a big difference between exercising an engine and abuse.

GM's Northstar oil consumption "desired" rate is 2,000 miles/quart or greater.
    Agreed. Leaks seem to be more of a problem on my engine than "burning" it. Although almost negligible; mine loses about a quart every 3K miles; I change at 5K intervals. Once I fix the small leak at the oil cooler to engine fittings, finally remember to get a new oil pan plug and put a new rear cam cover gasket on it (a little bit of fuzzy oil); I expect virtually no oil loss over 5K miles.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 04GrandAmGT View Post
    my dts goes through so much oil i wonder if oil changes are needed ... lol jk. i go through about 2-3 quarts per ~600 miles. though i would say about 80-90% of that leaks onto the ground.
    At that rate I would not "change" it. You're flushing it at a slow rate. Just change the filter occasionally.

Not to hijack, but could I be the only one with a 4.1 that actually worked? I don't think so. Yes, my 4.6 F150 or my 4.0 Jeep Cherokee could out-pull/out-run it but the damned thing never broke down...ever! 1985 SDV plated and registered Feb 12 84...dealer VP demo car.

J.R.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.