98 DeVille Heated seats
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 98 DeVille Heated seats in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The heated seats in my 98 cad work, except that if I turn on the drivers side heater, it stays ...
    gcad98 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DeVille D'elegance1998

98 DeVille Heated seats

The heated seats in my 98 cad work, except that if I turn on the drivers side heater, it stays on after I shut the car off and overnight it will drain the battery. I put the switch on in the low setting and I believe the seat gets too hot for the low setting. I don't use the passenger side so I have not had this problem there. The indicator light on the switch does go on and off with the switch. Would this indicate a bad switch or is there something else in the system that is keeping the seat heater on after the car is turned off? Why does the power go to the seat after the car is turned off, shouldn't everything be off with the key being in the off position? I have removed the fuses for now so the battery does not drain. It's winter so I would like to use the heater, I hope someone can help me with this problem, thanks. Gary

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kidzstang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '98 Cadillac Concours

Re: 98 DeVille Heated seats

I have a 98 Deville and can only use the heated seats for a short time on low setting before my bum gets burned. Much different than my Jag that has a butt temp sensor that makes sure that my sensitive bum can't get too hot; consequently it doesn't heat up enough (go figure).

I thought on the Caddy that there would be a relay but having a quick look at ALLDATA I see that there is something called the "heated seat module". There is one for each seat. That module takes the input from the selector switches and sends it out to the seat heat elements. The input to that module is hot at all times. It is for all intense and purposes the relay system for the high amperage current. I would suppose if that module is bad, or slow, or sticking, that you would have the problem that you are having. I haven't had experience with this but would like to be kept informed of the outcome; for future recall.

Cheers,
    Jack

gcad98 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): DeVille D'elegance1998

Jack, thanks for the information. Do you have any idea where this module is located so that I can replace it?

Gary

HI Gary,

Alldata says that the part number may be 12110047? The location is under the seat. They do call it a relay module in some places so I suppose that a relay is stuck closed. (Skill level B for replacing it) in case you wanted to know. Let me know what you find out as I use my seat heat quite often (which may be better as the relays will get exercise).

Cheers,
    Jack

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Think most 90's caddys had the relay mounted under front seat lip. My driver seat has no heat. Good fuse. Relay is quiet when I use console switch. Pass seat works fine, relay clicks. I swapped relays and now driver side does click but still no heat. Pass side does not click with swapped relay so it looks like seat heat grid and relay are both bad. Coincidence? And I also installed 2 different console switches.

Quote Originally Posted by stoveguyy View Post
    Think most 90's caddys had the relay mounted under front seat lip. My driver seat has no heat. Good fuse. Relay is quiet when I use console switch. Pass seat works fine, relay clicks. I swapped relays and now driver side does click but still no heat. Pass side does not click with swapped relay so it looks like seat heat grid and relay are both bad. Coincidence? And I also installed 2 different console switches.
    Have you checked for current potential at the relay "always hot" feed for the control relay pack?

Have you checked the continuity of the heater element feed wires (to rule out a break in the wire)?

Try the relay pack from the driver side in the passenger side seat to see if the relay pack is bad.

Cheers,
    Jack

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    My grand prix seats are hotter than caddy pass seat. Perhaps my pass seat heat grid is so-so. The bun and seat back heat both work. Just don't feel real hot like the grand prix. The gp is 1 heat setting. ON. Caddy is low/hi. Low is wimpy and hi is so-so

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.