Headliner Repair - Is it Possible?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Headliner Repair - Is it Possible? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I know that you can always replace a headliner, but the material backing used in some cars allows for graceful ...
    guyslp Guest

Headliner Repair - Is it Possible?

I know that you can always replace a headliner, but the material backing used in some cars allows for graceful repair, usually in the form of gluing back into place, far better than others.

The '89 Sedan DeVille that I'm picking up at the end of the week is in absolutely excellent condition with the sole exception of the headliner. The car is a deep burgundy color both on the exterior and interior and I've seen very few with the exterior color it has.

The headliner shows no fading (or at least very, very little) but has begun sagging all over the place. My Jag has done this, too, and I have controlled it by using u-pins. The foam behind the fabric in the Jag turns to dust, making it virtually impossible to do anything other than pin the liner up or replace it entirely.

One project I've never tried to tackle is replacing a headliner, and it doesn't strike me as being an easy task.

Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Once the foam breaks down, there's no saving the material. Replacing the material is easy, removing the headliner from the car is the tedious part.

1BadCadSTS is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    Once the foam breaks down, there's no saving the material. Replacing the material is easy, removing the headliner from the car is the tedious part.
    Yup. Usually requires removing a windshield unless you have a hatchback or fold the headliner.

The Donald is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville delagance

Re: Headliner Repair - Is it Possible?

Quote Originally Posted by guyslp View Post
    I know that you can always replace a headliner, but the material backing used in some cars allows for graceful repair, usually in the form of gluing back into place, far better than others.

The '89 Sedan DeVille that I'm picking up at the end of the week is in absolutely excellent condition with the sole exception of the headliner. The car is a deep burgundy color both on the exterior and interior and I've seen very few with the exterior color it has.

The headliner shows no fading (or at least very, very little) but has begun sagging all over the place. My Jag has done this, too, and I have controlled it by using u-pins. The foam behind the fabric in the Jag turns to dust, making it virtually impossible to do anything other than pin the liner up or replace it entirely.

One project I've never tried to tackle is replacing a headliner, and it doesn't strike me as being an easy task.

Brian
    Tried one time and never will again I was not successful. Its a real bitch.. BIG TIME

guyslp Guest

I would presume this is something that an automotive upholstery shop would do, so I'll start checking around. In the meantime, pinning it up has worked for the current owner, he just hasn't been as methodical about it as I have in my Jag.

I have a great deal of patience, but prefer to be able to walk away from something for a while if my patience has been tried to its limit. This is the kind of "fiddly" work where my perfectionistic side, which I have gotten reasonably under control, tends to release itself again. If this isn't an astronomically expensive repair I'll probably relegate it to the professionals.

I've seen step-by-step photo documented headliner installations for the Jag, and for me I could tell this would not fall into my "that's easy" category of tasks.

Brian

STS_Seville_Hunter is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 ETC, 91 STS, 98 Eldo Convertable, '93 Seville
    Headliners not too bad in these cars no need to remove the windshield.

kidzstang is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '98 Cadillac Concours

I'm with guyslp. An pro can do it far better and cheaper (when considering frustration) than your basic guy. The cost of a pro is pretty cheap. Alot of my Jaguar buddies do it themselves and some have done a decent job but others have botched it bad. If it where me and typically I like to do all of my own wok I'd take a couple hundred bucks to the pro and just get it done.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

You can get the headliner out of one of the doors if you manuever it properly. For the amount of work to do it properly vs the cost of having it done professionally just pay someone.

The Donald is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville delagance

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    You can get the headliner out of one of the doors if you manuever it properly. For the amount of work to do it properly vs the cost of having it done professionally just pay someone.
    Amen thats what I did..

mc_marto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille

Finding the appropriate fabric was the hardest thing for me. Otherwise, I got the strongest spray glue out there and with the help of my girlfriend I had it repaired in about an hour or so. Besides the headliner I also did all of the other trims that had the same fabric, and all of it turned out looking professionally. I feel, though, it really is a two-person job and it is advisable that you have a good assistant if you decide to do it yourself. Otherwise, do what the others have suggested - take it to an upholstery shop.

guyslp Guest

The anticipation is mounting as the day of purchase and pick-up is rapidly approaching (Friday).

There are plusses and minuses to having reached all the way back to 1989, but for myself I think the plusses outweigh the minuses. I've already determined from the feedback that I've received here that having an upholstery shop do this job is probably the best idea for me. I called one of our local ones that has a good reputation yesterday asking for a "guesstimate." The guy who actually does the work was not there, so the only question I got was did I need just the fabric to be replaced or the whole board it gets glued to as well. From what I could determine at the time, the board is entirely intact. I imagine they'll do whatever they need to do to clean it off such that the new glue and fabric will adhere to it.

----------

On a related note, does anyone have recommendations as far as vinyl repair kits go? The only other interior thing I could find wrong with the car is that the lower "embossed seam" on the driver's side arm rest has developed a slight split several inches long which is very narrow. If the interior were not deep burgundy I wouldn't even notice it (and don't, really, unless I'm looking down toward the ground with the door wide open.

I would just like to cover this up so that the relatively brighter color of the foam doesn't stand out. I know that you can't repair this in the conventional sense of that word, but I'm presuming that something exists that allows you to effectively mask it.

Brian

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.