heated seat power consumption??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ranger
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, heated seat power consumption?? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 2003 deville, do the heated seats use much power? i use mine very little in fear that it tax,s the ...
    houg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): deville

heated seat power consumption??

2003 deville, do the heated seats use much power? i use mine very little in fear that it tax,s the alternator too much and i dont want a premature alt failure?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: heated seat power consumption??

The electrical system and alternator are designed and built to handle any set of loads you can throw at them - as long as the loads are those in the as-delivered new car package.

A non-issue.

SGWORLDWIDE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Deville DTS (Sold)

yup would not worry now if some one put a different alternator in there then that's different think the stock one is 150 amps

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I'm not much of an electrician, but my understanding is that anything that produces heat uses a lot of electricity. By that I mean anything with a heating element as opposed to heat as a byproduct. That said, I would not refrain from using it. Like Sub said, that's what it's designed for.
    SGWORLDWIDE likes this.

just like rear window defrosters

The Donald is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Deville delagance

Use mine all the time in winter with no problems..Alt. was designed to handle every thing Cadillac put on the car and use them all at once if needed..

High beam headlights consume more "power" than both front seat heaters.

guyslp Guest

It is a very, very rare occasion when an alternator cannot produce all the power needed to operate virtually any and all options included on a car that are likely to be in use at one time.

Were you to somehow able to get so much going that the alternator couldn't handle it, that's what the battery is for.

Realistically, I've never known of a situation where the alternator and charging system on a stock car are working properly where the battery would even be called upon except when starting the car. There are plenty of times when the battery is fully charged, and the system knows this, that you're "throwing away power" that's not being used at that moment.

I would have no concern at all about using heated seats along with the heater, stereo, lights, cruise control, and any other option at the same time.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by guyslp View Post
    It is a very, very rare occasion when an alternator cannot produce all the power needed to operate virtually any and all options included on a car that are likely to be in use at one time.
    I fully agree.

Realistically, I've never known of a situation where the alternator and charging system on a stock car are working properly where the battery would even be called upon except when starting the car.
    How would you ever know when or if the system was pulling battery power?

guyslp Guest

Ranger,

If premise one is true, and you agree it is, how could premise two not be?

I base this on the fact that the only time I've ever had, or known anyone to have, battery issues is either that the battery itself has outlived its functional life or there is a flaw in the charging system. If the charging system is keeping the battery fully charged and one is using a collection of options on a fairly regular basis, this clearly means that in almost any "normal" circumstance there is not only adequate power from the alternator to run everything but an overage to allow the battery to charge.

I don't know, definitively, when or if the system was pulling battery power, but it can't be pulling it very often or much or the battery will run down, and quickly. I've had that happening recently when the charging power being delivered to a brand new battery was just under 13V and my options use included only radio and blower fan. I'm making what I think is a legitimate deductive conclusion. I guess other's mileage may vary.

Brian

FWIW, in an automotive 12VDC electrical system, the alternator and voltage regulator are designed to handle the normal loads of that particular model and options package. It is fairly common to see 2 or 3 different capacity alternators within a single manufacturer model line if the option packages require more/less capacity.

Think of the battery as a "spring" or "surge tank". You start the engine - that draws off some battery capacity (the action of starting slightly unwinds the spring) - the engine comes up to idle/fast idle speed and the voltage regulator excites. Voltage ramps up from battery voltage - say 12.4 volts after start - to a charging figure - somewhere around 14.4 to 15.0 volts. At the same time, alternator amperage is increased to actually charge the battery: drive lead sulfate off the plates and back into solution in the electrolyte - thus raising the specific gravity of the electrolyte. As the battery charges its internal resistance changes - this is sensed by the voltage regulator, which then ramps down amperage (to avoid boiling the battery) and, to some degree, voltage. At full charge the battery "floats" on the entire electrical system, acting as the spring to compensate for load changes from normal - you turn on a load, the voltage regulator senses the spike, and the regulator compensates amperage output to carry the load - the battery does not continuously run anything - it's a "spring", reacting to bumps in the system. Voltage regulators are set to supply somewhere in the neighborhood of 14.0 to 14.6 volts continuously, with little amperage, to maintain full battery charge and run the car loads.

"But my headlights dim at idle !". Bad (failing) battery, poor terminal connections, poor regulator wiring/connections/electrical condition. (or a self-installed boombox system)

Note the chart: A 'battery' of six 2.1 volt cells (our car batteries) is essentially dead when it shows an open circuit voltage of 11.9 - 12.0 volts. Surface charge only - no "guts".

that's why I don't mess with car electrics or install any after market eletrical crap like big stereos as u never know if the charging system can handle it then u got to go buy a better alternator

Quote Originally Posted by guyslp View Post
    Ranger,

If premise one is true, and you agree it is, how could premise two not be?
    Brian
    I think you are misunderstanding me Brian. I am not saying premise #2 is not true. I'm simply saying you won't know when it is.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.