Where do I look next ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Where do I look next ? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, And thank you in advance for any input... I have hot air from pass side of car BUT warm ...
    Wingralf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Seville STS

Unhappy Where do I look next ?

Hello, And thank you in advance for any input...

I have hot air from pass side of car BUT warm almost cool air from drivers side at top and bottom. top when set to defrost and bottom when set to Auto/Econ the TEMP and or other setting do not change the fact I get hotter air from pass side VS driver side.

Ok 1991 Deville, new 195 deg themostat, new heater core(flows fine) new 3 way heater tube value(thingie). I have replaced most of the parts that I could that would cause a problem since I was in there already.

Other things I have checked are Vacuum to the box (name?) with mixture door motor in it traced down the lines to the motors ...good. Checked mixture door VS the temp setting it moves with temp changes.

The Heater core is very hot when Mixture control box and cover are removed and air does blow thru core very well.

Something I'm not understanding are that with heatercore access part removed the access door on backside has a part made into it that looks as it could be used to split the output of heater core to top and bottom, when looking into heater/AC unit there is a split lower side goes to drivers side upper to pass side.

I have followed the lower tunnel to the center drop down duck work for heater and the upper to rear of drop down duckwork for heater. If I aplied vacuum to the blue vac line I even had poor heating out drivers dash vent, without feeling anymore temp mixture doors in the drivers side ducking.

I did this wondering if system was split for dual driver/pass cooling heating settings. With the hopes of finding a door closed off since the cooling works fine. but I have no controls for a split system and now no clue where else to look short of Pulling to entire thing out and making it work the way I want it too on the floor and then putting it back in

Jim
    91 Deville

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rmoen is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Where do I look next ?

I'm having the exact same problem in a newly purchased 94 deville. Anyone out there have any ideas??? Pass side, puts out hot air, drivers side very cold.....

Any help would be great!!!

Thanks in advance!
    Ryan

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

That's a weird one. The only heater air flow box I've ever taken apart was from a '64 Comet, so I may not be much help. If the air is hot on the passenger side, I don't think you have a cooling system problem. Instead you have an air flow problem with one of the diversion valves.

Maybe, like you said, you'll have to pull the box out and inspect it. There is a valve in there that directs air over the hot coils and then it releases it out to the floor. On cars without electric thermostats, this door is manually controlled by a cable connected to that blue/red lever thing.

Maybe that door is not getting completely closed because theres a twig or a leaf impeding its movement. Some of the air from outside gets diverted over the heater core, some does not. This would explain why some of the air is hot, and some is warm.

I think that on Cadillacs there are little motors that control the valves and regulate the temperature of the air entering the cabin. One of these motors may be failing (if there are such things).

Try this: If your control panel allows it, manually divert the "hot" air out of the A/C vents. See if the air is hot on both sides. Also try manually diverting the air out of the windshield defroster. It should be hot on both sides.

rmoen is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I can't manually divert the air out the a/c vents, but on defrost, it does still put out cold air on the drivers side vent under the windsheild, and hot air on the pass. There must be a door stuck somewhere. Anyone know where it is located?

Thanks in advance!!

Ryan

wrench is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by rmoen
    I can't manually divert the air out the a/c vents, but on defrost, it does still put out cold air on the drivers side vent under the windsheild, and hot air on the pass. There must be a door stuck somewhere. Anyone know where it is located?

Thanks in advance!!

Ryan
    im a mechanic working on a 91 deville and i have the same problem. hope we can get the fix found

CadillacJack76 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02 eldo collectors series, 98 eldo, 97 deville, 96+94 SLS,

Hey I have a 93 deville, and I am pulling my hair out over here, I have the SAME EXACT problem with mine!! I have been trying to figure this one out for a long time, I have owned 9 Caddy's and this is the only one I have ever seen like this aside from you fella's, if you guys figure anything out please lemme know, I have a 500 mile trip with my wife and 3 month old baby to do in December (military relocation) and can't do it with bad heat, if I find anything I will let you guys know ASAP.

Thanks, Jack

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.