96 Deville Shakes + Flashing SES
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 96 Deville Shakes + Flashing SES in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi guys, So early I replaced my battery, which only had 160 some CCA compared to the 700ish it should ...
    brockweberlcc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Deville

96 Deville Shakes + Flashing SES

Hi guys,

So early I replaced my battery, which only had 160 some CCA compared to the 700ish it should have. Changed it, and couldn't find a coolant leak via visual inspection, but coolant is going somewhere slowly, its been almost 3 weeks, and I'm starting to notice it getting low (daily drives). But my new problem was a rough start the other day with it shaking (very cold out, like 14 degrees), and I've noticed my SES has been on, its flashed a few times while driving. Thanks for your help guys.

----------

Also, I'll pull my codes this evening when I get home. Should be quite accurate with a battery change 3 weeks ago.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 96 Deville Shakes + Flashing SES

A flashing SES light means a misfire has been detected. You'll probably find a P0300 code.

Disappearing coolant and rough starts are HG symptoms. Are you overheating?

It has gotten hot, but that was after I realized the car was very low on coolant. I can smell the coolant after driving (around the front of the car), is that typical of a HG symptom?

No. If you can smell coolant that is a good thing. It means that the leak is external. Check the radiator side tanks. They tend to crack and seep after many heat/cool cycles. Remember, the front is blocked by the condenser making it hard to see and allowing coolant to evaporate before a drip becomes visible. If you still can't find it, you might try a pressure test.

Okay, snagged my codes before strolling into work this morning, and help me out here: I had another mis-fire this morning I could feel for the first 1/8 mile. It goes away after that, wondering if that helps at all diagnostically speaking or not?

96 Deville Codes:

P0174 System too Lean (Bank 2)
    P0300 Random Misfire
    P0603 Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error
    RS0011
    RS0012
    RS0038 - Current

Does anyone know the RS codes or have a link to find the definitions, they are not able to be found on the sticky. Thanks guys.

P0174 is most likely your problem (a vacuum leak).

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    P0174 is most likely your problem (a vacuum leak).
    Hmmmm...What are the most likely areas for this leak? Never experienced this before. It's been really cold lately in the morning and this has been when it occurs, is there a correlation here? Thanks for all your replies!

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Vacuum leak(s) in a Northstar - Any one of the plastic/rubber lines attached to the vacuum side of the throttlebody, and any piece of equipment those lines attach to. The dirty air side of the PCV system - that comes from the right (rear) cam cover and attaches directly to full intake manifold vacuum at the front (passenger end) of the engine. The intake manifold overpressure valve (in your engine, in the front (passenger) end of the intake manifold tunnel).

Either buy a mechanic's stethoscope at a NAPA or make one out of a Walgreen stethoscope - remove the chest diaphragm and substitute a length of vacuum hose from the Help! racks at any parts store. Use the device to snoop for hissssssses with the engine cover removed, engine idling. Careful - a serpentine belt will grab you or the hose instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by brockweberlcc View Post
    Hmmmm...What are the most likely areas for this leak?
    Considering it is for Bank 2, I'd start the search there.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.