Need Help with leak problem?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ranger
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Need Help with leak problem? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey, I am new to these forums and I bought a 2000 Cadillac Deville DHS less then a week ago. ...
    Iceman1569 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac Deville DHS

Exclamation Need Help with leak problem?

Hey, I am new to these forums and I bought a 2000 Cadillac Deville DHS less then a week ago. I have done some work on it already but I have a slight leaking problem. I live in Wisconsin and it is very cold in the morning. I sadly have to park the car outside due to no garage space. When I start my car in the morning it is cold and oil spurts out of the bottom on the front passenger side. After the slight spurt it stops leaking and It is back to normal. This oil spillage does not occur when it is warmer outside or the engine is warm. It just happens when I first start it. Any ideas/ tips would help me out a lot because I have no clue what is going on because I am new to cars.

Thanks a lot,
    Nathan Winter, Proud Cadillac Owner

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Re: Need Help with leak problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman1569 View Post
    Hey, I am new to these forums and I bought a 2000 Cadillac Deville DHS less then a week ago. I have done some work on it already but I have a slight leaking problem. I live in Wisconsin and it is very cold in the morning. I sadly have to park the car outside due to no garage space. When I start my car in the morning it is cold and oil spurts out of the bottom on the front passenger side. After the slight spurt it stops leaking and It is back to normal. This oil spillage does not occur when it is warmer outside or the engine is warm. It just happens when I first start it. Any ideas/ tips would help me out a lot because I have no clue what is going on because I am new to cars.

Thanks a lot,
    Nathan Winter, Proud Cadillac Owner
    ----------------------
    Any ideas/ tips would help me out a lot
    because I have no clue what is going on

unless you can crawl under the car -
    and watch for the leak while someone starts it -
    take it to a shop and have it diagnosed -

I am asking like what could possibly be wrong with it? has anyone else had this problem? When I took it to get the oil change they couldn't find the leak because it didn't leak because it was warm

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Probably a leak from oil filter seal, or oil pressure sensor? The oil filter adapter has o-rings that can leak. COLD oil is very thick and u can actually blow the oil filter seal upon starting. I did yrs ago. Yes, it was super cold than

Thanks so much! I am going to go under the car this weekend and see whats going on, if I have to I can bring it to my mechanic that will be able to specifically identify where the leak is coming from. I will keep you guys updated and thanks for the quick and helpful responses

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Check this area
    Attached Images

I started the car and a clanking noise is occurring, a let my mechanic know and he said it sounds like the engine is destroying itself pretty much. So I am put up with the decision whether or not to put a new engine in or not. I received an estimate from my mechanic and he said he could put a 80,000 mile used engine into it for $650, and labor would be $650. So I am looking at less then $1500 for a pretty good engine. So far I bought the car for $2000 so who can't expect problems, if I switch the engine i will be in it $3500. 3500 dollars for a 80,000 mile car with the rest of the mechanics being good. Is it worth it?

rodnok01 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

I have a suggestion... find a new mechanic...
    N* engines are not known for self destructing, it happens but rarely.
    Your lack of knowledge is gonna bite you if you're not real careful.
    That noise could be ANYTHING at this point from a noisy pulley too full on rod knocking.
    Also if you put a different engine in without having studs put in you will regret it. Your mechanic will get another 2k from you to remove the engine and stud it. So do yourself a favor and stud it if you go that route.

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

It seems ALL junkyard engines have 60 - 80K on them.
    basscatt likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.