Deville not starting, acts like an anti-theft issue, computer bugging out!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Deville not starting, acts like an anti-theft issue, computer bugging out! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; This has happened to me in the past but resolved itself quickly. Last night my 2004 deville refused to start, ...
    ronswanson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Deville

Deville not starting, acts like an anti-theft issue, computer bugging out!

This has happened to me in the past but resolved itself quickly. Last night my 2004 deville refused to start, the ignition wouldn't even try to turn over. Systems were randomly coming on and off (locks, windows, lights, radio, blower, etc). The computer was bugging out, all my dash lights were coming on and off, the engine system codes were cycling through. Eventually I opened the hood and shut it, after shutting the hood the car started and ran fine.

Today, I had the same issue but couldn't get it resolved. Any ideas what could be causing this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

LoveMyLac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille D'Elegence (RIP) 2001 Cadillac DeVille DTS

Re: Deville not starting, acts like an anti-theft issue, computer bugging out!

I had a similar issue with my 99 DeVille. I don't know what I did to resolve it but after "jiggling" the cables under the driver seat it acted right. It was peculiar to say the least. Never happened again.

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 02 DHS, 03 SLS

I opened the hood and shut it, after shutting the hood the car started and ran fine.
    probably a loose connection - or faulty ground -

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldorado esc/2000 deville Y(THE GREY GOOSE)

Check the ground at the right side front frame rail that attaches to the motor near the alternator.

cdv93 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe DeVille

Mine had been acting like this for about a year. You would turn the key and got nothing. Turn it again and the car would start - most of the time. Then, on two occassions, the car would not start no matter how many times you turned the key. I traded out my key for my spare and it no longer happens. After 20 years, it looks like the resistor in the key chip gave up or the chip was worn down enough so it was not making a good connection.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure where to begin looking. I may have to take the car in. Does this sound like something a mechanic could easily diagnose? Or would I be better off trying to figure it out on my own?

Today I drove it to work and it was going crazy again while I was driving. Speedometer was jumping all over, the dash lights were flickering and shutting off, got low voltage warnings off and on. When I parked and shut it off, it wouldn't start again. I have noticed a airy, hissing sound coming from under the hood, sounds like its near the firewall. I smacked the fuse box a couple times and the noise went away and the car started. Maybe I'm getting warmer

markmnj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1973 Cadillac Hearse, 2002 Cadillac DHS

Check the battery connection(s) under the back seat. Also remove and clean the power connections under the hood specifically the red positive terminal (where you jump start the vehicle from). Remove the nut and clean everything up with some emery paper. Apply some silicone grease and reconnect. Check both ends of the ground from the engine to car frame on the right side as previously suggested and give it the same treatment. Consider torture testing (load testing) the battery as well with a proper load tester.

I had a non Cadillac exhibit very similar symptoms a number of years ago that ended up being a loose positive battery battery cable on the starter. It had worked itself loose. I don't know if this can occur on a Northstar Caddy but I thought I would throw it out there. I would be especially suspicious of this if the starter has been recently worked on.

Dunno abut that "airy hissing sound" though...Prob the AC system/refrigerant pressures equalizing after shutdown and unrelated

Yes, this was the culprit. I had to take the car into a dealership (couldn't get it started and they were the only ones open on the weekend). Charged me $300 to replace the strap.

I didn't know where that ground strap was exactly, or how to get to it. Thanks anyway!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.