03 deville starting problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By loops
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 03 deville starting problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; turn key and get clacking.....like a bad battery. Put new baterry in and still the same thing....put 2nd one in ...
    loops is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 deville

03 deville starting problems

turn key and get clacking.....like a bad battery. Put new baterry in and still the same thing....put 2nd one in and works OK for 2-3 weeks.
    starter no clacking again......check all cables...they are good..(pos..neg....sand and clean ground strap under seat and under hood near fuse box).....still clacking....change out relay under hood( starter 2) still clacking......install reman stater!!!! still clacking, but now when I release key....still clacks for 3-4 seconds before stopping.

Any ideas here guys????

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 03 deville starting problems

If it keeps clicking AFTER you release the key and bad ignition switch comes to mind.

I agree.....definatley the ign switch, but why the starter will not engage??????????

Because the switch is not closing the circuit to the starter relay (assuming that is your problem). Keep in mind, I'm talking about the switch down the column, NOT the key tumbler.

Thanks for that info!!! Since I am a moderately good with the tool belt ( my son and I restored a 1973 Dodge Dart) , anything special about removing the switch.....or to be careful of a airbag???????Will replace today and keep you informed!!!!!!

is there any way to short the cicuit to see if the starter will spin (or another issue elsewhere). I do believe the switch is bad because the clicking continues for 5 seconds after releasing the key. This is a new symptom since replacing the starter........or I was not aware of it, because I am not the daily driver.

ALWAYS be careful of the airbag.

The only way I know of to test the starter is the old way of crossing the solenoid contacts with a screwdriver, but you'd have to remove the intake manifold to do that.

You're looking at part #23. A FSM would come in rather handy.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...044&SortKey=60

Thanks for the parts breakdown and the airbag warning. Due to time restraints and Christmas quickly approaching , the 03 deville left today, on vacation to come back revived and fresh! When I receive post cards or any phone updates from the sunbathing Caddy, I will pass on the info.

So here are the results............turns out the new starter from Advanced Auto that I installed was defective!!!!!!!! Mechanic installed new starter, and I drove away to get refund from Advanced for the bad starter. I made it about 4 miles from my house, stopped at a store for a pack of butts......car does the same thing.....clicking away! Call Triple A....tow car back to service center to a shocked mechanic!...........turns out the problem the whole time was A LOOSE CONNECTION ON THE BLOCK (GROUND STRAP). I had tightened and cleaned all connections except for this one because I could not get my chubby fingers into the area where the bolt was!!!Go figure. I have to commend Jim Byrd Auto Service (Raleigh,NC) for doing the right thing, so rare. For all of the people with starting problems.......check all connections first..........BEFORE INSTALLING A STARTER, HAVE IT CHECKED TO MAKE SURE IT IS GOOD!!!!!!!

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

I can't count how many bad "New" starters and ground problems are posted here on a weekly basis. These are extremely picky about the grounds.

While it is not impossible, a bad "new" part is rare and that should be a big red flag to anyone (even when it seems to be the only and obvious reason, been there, done that).

Thank you........this forum is worth a MILLION!!!!!!!! Anyone with classic Dodge/Plymouth issues come visit us at forabodiesonly.com
    talismandave likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.