There's just no accounting for taste. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, There's just no accounting for taste. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Press the INFO button until it reads coolant temp. ---------- Originally Posted by bigm57ict What I do like is a ...
    Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: There's just no accounting for taste.

Press the INFO button until it reads coolant temp.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by bigm57ict View Post
    What I do like is a gauge that says "COOLANT TEMP 226 F" rather than "getting a little hot", or "a smidge over middle"
    I will admit I DID like having an actual number and being able to see it move. Ideally, it would be nice to have a numbered analogue gauge that was not so dumbed down.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    My 96 did allow operator to access diagnostics menu to enable coolant temp. Procedure is somewhat tricky. Is on Internet somewhere. I don't have it

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

I'm a nerd. I like my digi-dash. Looks like something out of the space shuttle

CTSGary is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

You bought it as a USED car! It seems pretty simple, if there's something about it you don't like, don't buy it. Or if the vehicle would have been new, you should have researched it more. Let the buyer beware!

knotgoalie is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 DHS

Quote Originally Posted by CTSGary View Post
    You bought it as a USED car! It seems pretty simple, if there's something about it you don't like, don't buy it. Or if the vehicle would have been new, you should have researched it more. Let the buyer beware!
    OK class, today we have an unique opportunity to observe firsthand perhaps the shortest of the trolls who with but a single post and a comically fervent adversity to a post that a few of us were enjoying (yes, we argue and verbally joust in fun here) has taken it upon it's little self to misinterperet what has been going on in this thread and to try to maneuver a peurile attempt at an incomprehensible admonishment of the spirit of our conversation. To close, he emptor'd his caveat on us no less!

Very well, that said, beat me, ban me whatever but however new I am here myself and however much/little I might be able to offer, I have always shown absolute respect and tolerance for all until Gary missed the point and somehow in his own special way, just pissed me off.

To the membership here at cadillacforums, I apologize for any offense to you all and to Gary, I urge you to further your grasp of the English language and perhaps, some day, we might actually verbally spar on a level (work on it now, I mean it) perhaps more in your favour than is apparently possible at this time. One hell of an intro Gary, I have to give you that much.

J.R.

cormorant is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '96 Sedan DeVille

On my '96, if you page to coolant temp, volts or any other reading, it will just stay there, including after a restart. It will get preempted by new messages like 'cruise control engaged' but then returns to where you left it. So, no adjusting--just page down with the info button to get the data you want.

MarieOnCape is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 DTS

Was the digital dash an option on the DHS? If I remember I will look in my '04 brochure. Sometimes GM has a supply issue and substitutes one option or feature for another and then it shows up on the sticker as credit or cost option - although the owner had no choice in the matter. It's happened to me in the past.

If it was an option I heard from a dealer that there were electric short problems with the analog instruments and it is possible that the dealer ordered or recommended the digital display. Or it could have been the digital display read as more modern to someone. If I remember correctly the digital display always shows some information that you have to use info select button to see on the analog display. That could have been a factor to someone as well too.

Analog in my '04 DTS.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Yes, the digidash was an option in the DHS.

In regards to the base question "Any of you have options on your Cads that "just don't make sense", to you of course?"
    This goes way, way back to when options included things long ago made standard, but I once bought a 1969 Eldorado (silver, black roof, red leather) that wasn't equipped with power door locks. Couldn't believe someone would not want power locks on a car that wide and compared to the cost of the car! And even though Cadillac offered split seats (not buckets) in the early FWD Eldos almost all were equipped with the regular power bench.

On my '04 DTS, car that had all options except the night vision, with a sticker of $60K they scrimped and left the XM off. Sure, I understand that someone may not want the subscription costs, but it is something I would have added for resale value alone figuring that it would a common feature by the time I traded

----------

Quote Originally Posted by delerium75 View Post
    These cars originally were bought by folks who, more likely than not, probably had bi- or tri-focals and a large number staring you in the face may have been easier to read than trying to divine out if it's between 50 and 60 or 60 and 70. I guess that's the theory anyway. But even Lincoln had better representations for fuel AND a temp gauge. The old school Mark VII LSC managed to fit fairly complete analogs into the same tiny space that was originally designed for the digital dash...I wish my STS had been as lucky.
    Here is one of the very nice things about the analog display in the '04 and '05 (can't speak to earlier cars) you have a choice with the analog disply! You can view the instruments in just analog (with the digital strip info display below), or just digital speed with the strip display, or you can have both analog with the large digital speed number staring you in the face (between the speedometer and tachometer) by toggling the "display" button on the dash. I really like having that! And it was one reason I selected an '04 (or an '05) instead of the newer '06 and higher DTS with their cheap truck-like instruments.

On those nights with lots of reflected light and light shining in your eyes (like a raining night) I sometimes select the digital display only - turning off all the extra analog lighting - and issue the voice command "Screen Off" to shut off the radio/navigation display. Doing both can really "quiet" the display in front of you so you can concentrate on the road ahead of you. Even if you are using navigation it still prompts with voice, and while you lose the gas display it still will show range on the strip display. Maybe it is just me, but I think not if Cadillac offered the configurable display in the analog cluster, but I really like having the various display options for when I need them.

Not till the XTS did Cadillac bring back the configurable display - albeit in a much more electronc form and not as "quiet" as I can get in my '04 if the conditions call for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Yes, the digidash was an option in the DHS.
    The moderator answered the question, but since I said I would look it up in my 2004 DeVille brochure I wanted to follow up, however late, in case anyone reads this later. I finally did so and looked at the feature list chart of the DeVille, DHS, and DTS and yes, it shows that the analog dash was standard on the DHS and the digital display was optional. While on the DeVille the digital display was the only one available and on the DTS the analog (albeit with digital features) was standard and the only choice in that model.

SGWORLDWIDE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Deville DTS (Sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Don't.

Have people look at it because it's a good looking car, not because it can impersonate a dragonfly.

Lambos don't even have "Lambo doors" anymore...
    Yes please don't make a classic a clown car just enjoy it as it was made with "modest" personal touch's

knotgoalie is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 DHS

Quote Originally Posted by SGWORLDWIDE View Post
    Yes please don't make a classic a clown car just enjoy it as it was made with "modest" personal touch's
    Relax, the door mod will never happen given that the money that would be spent on the door conversion could easily buy something else should the need arise...like a replacement engine (crosses fingers, gives thanks).

J.R.

SGWORLDWIDE is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 Deville DTS (Sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by knotgoalie View Post

Relax, the door mod will never happen given that the money that would be spent on the door conversion could easily buy something else should the need arise...like a replacement engine (crosses fingers, gives thanks).

J.R.
    That's true lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.