Hi from Down Under
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Hi from Down Under in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi Guys Just bought a 1990 Deville, needed a few things doing, first up a replacement rack and pinion as ...
    roo boy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Deville

Hi from Down Under

Hi Guys

Just bought a 1990 Deville, needed a few things doing, first up a replacement rack and pinion as I drove the car home about 150 miles from where I bought it and the steering is a bit dodgy and am doing the job myself. Do I need to remove the exhaust to give enough room to get the rack out, any advice would be greatly appreciated, I don't know anyone with a Deville down here in Melbourne Australia they are thin on the ground.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

pompste is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425

Re: Hi from Down Under

Quote Originally Posted by roo boy View Post
    Hi Guys

Just bought a 1990 Deville, needed a few things doing, first up a replacement rack and pinion as I drove the car home about 150 miles from where I bought it and the steering is a bit dodgy and am doing the job myself. Do I need to remove the exhaust to give enough room to get the rack out, any advice would be greatly appreciated, I don't know anyone with a Deville down here in Melbourne Australia they are thin on the ground.
    Welcome to the forum! Hopefully someone will chime with a response to your question.
    I like your choice in Deville`s.I`ve got a 1978 Deville.I`ve never had steering problems yet,so maybe someone here who has knowledge of that will chime in.

scooter500 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 sedan deville

Okay, retrieved my set of facory manuals for a 1995 Deville and Haynes repairs manual... you don't on a '95. I'm guessing yours would be very similar. I can scan the pages covering rack and pinion removal and send to you if you sill need them.

Also, unless I missed it, chapter 10 of the Haynes manual (suspension and steering) doesn't cover it, only some of the procedure like wheel removal.

roo boy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 Deville

Ok finished the job replaced the steering rack, the exhaust and the heat shield needs to be removed to get enough room to get the rack out. Found that the exhaust donut gasket was in need of replacement and the flange was cracked, fixed exhaust had the front discs machined while they were off, put on new tie rod ends and aligned wheels. Pulled off the steering wheel and fixed the spring loaded horn connection, Indicator/turning signals not cancelling when turning the steering wheel back pulled all the wiring out and fixed it. Now for a few smaller tasks, the gear stick shift indicator on the column doesn't move to show what gear the cars in, remove the rear air suspension and replace with shocks and springs, check out the rear brakes, one of the rear passenger windows doesn't go up or down. Headlights High/low beam not working on low beam only. Then find out why the heater air con air door not working as no all flow through vents. replace 1 cracked light lens give the engine and auto trans a service and were ready to go!. Oh hell I think I will go fishing first, it is summer down here and I have a Triumph 955i sprint to ride. Roo Boy

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.