Catalytic Converter Intermediate Pipe for a '93 Sixty Special
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Catalytic Converter Intermediate Pipe for a '93 Sixty Special in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; hey guys, since I am/was under the assumtion that the 1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Deville and 1993 Sixty Special are "the ...
    DReffects is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '93 Sixty Special 4.9l V8, '01 Sebring Convertible, '13 300C

Angry Catalytic Converter Intermediate Pipe for a '93 Sixty Special

hey guys,

since I am/was under the assumtion that the 1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Deville and 1993 Sixty Special are "the same car" I've ordered a CATCO Catalytic Converter (direct fit) from rockauto. Unfortunately the inlet dimension is slightly smaller that the original pipe that goes from the manifold to the converter. (3.15 inch original / 2.95 inch the CATCO part). This results in the gasket that goes between the manifold and the pipe not fitting.

I've mailed back and fourth with the rockauto guys but unfortunately they are unable to provide a solution to this. I've made them aware of the fact that even the exhaust manifold replacement part is being listed as to be compatible with the Deville (1989-1993) and Fleetwood (1989-1992) and by the logic that if the manifold is the same, the pipe opening that goes to the catalytic converter simply has to be the same too, but were unable to reach an agreement.

Needless to say this left me quite worried. Especially because I am very unsure on what converter or pipe to get now.

The CATCO converter differed in two ways:
    - the inlet opening was smaller (2.95 inch compared to 3.15 inch)
    - the intermediate pipe from the converter to the manifold is not tilted to the right by about 15 degress like the original converters' pipe was (this of course could easily been corrected by sawing that pipe off and welding it on again^^)

Has anyone of you guys solid information on what converter (or better a pipe) to get? The only thing i know is that the widest diameter of the inlet that connects to the manifold is 3.15 inch wide with the original pipe (totally rusted with holes in it, not useable)

I've found Walker Part #42292 at rockauto, listed for the 1993 deville, but unfortunately i cannot find any specs for the inlet diameter on this part. Also autozone.com lists that part as NOT compatible with the 1993 sixty special.

Also I am quite unsure now on the similarities of the '92 Fleetwood, '93 Deville and '93 Sixty Special. All I ever read was that those cars are the very same, differing only in how well they are equipped with luxury.

THANKS!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

nsharma1999 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Catalytic Converter Intermediate Pipe for a '93 Sixty Special - please help findi

According to the Walker website part number 42292 will fit. Not sure what Rock Auto is charging but I found one on Ebay today for $37 delivered. And yes, a 1992 Cadillac Fleetwood (FWD) is almost identical to the 1993 Sixty Special as well as the 1993 Deville.

Re: Catalytic Converter Intermediate Pipe for a '93 Sixty Special

Where did you get that info? The walker website i know does not even have a Sixty Special in it's selectable list
    Attached Images

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    He's saying you can order the part for a Deville, a d it would fit a Fleetwood or sixty special. They're the same car, mechanically.

Well that's what I thought as well. And then I've ordered that 'direct fit' CATCO Converter that does NOT fit. Any thoughts?

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Maybe something to do with the car being an export?

Actually there is an option for selecting an exhaust system for a fwd Fleetwood and not the Deville or Sixty Special even though mechanically they are similar cars. Follow the attached link and when you get the drop down box, select "8 cyl Fleetwood w/4.9L ENG., FWD".

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog...catalog-lookup

Wish I could post a larger picture but this site won't let me...

Sixty Special Exhaust.gif

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Use photobucket and drop a link. Easy to do

ok guys I am trying my luck with that walker pipe Wish me luck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.