04 Deville, Vibration Under Braking
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 04 Deville, Vibration Under Braking in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey guys! I own an 04 Deville, had it since 05. It was originally a rental and got a great ...
    NCDaveD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville

04 Deville, Vibration Under Braking

Hey guys! I own an 04 Deville, had it since 05. It was originally a rental and got a great deal on it. It currently has 145,000 miles and has developed a bad vibration (at times) under braking. New tires, turned rotors with new brakes front and rear, no change. Tire wear is good and consistant over all tires. Shocks original with original air ride. All front end parts (tie rods, etc) original. Vibration severity inconsistant, but always present (when braking).

Time for shocks? If so, what are your recommendations. I like the soft ride and would like to keep it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    NCDaveD

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 04 Deville, Vibration Under Braking

Sure sounds like rotors. How long has it been since they were turned?

NCDaveD is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Deville

That was my thinking as well, but the fronts were turned 15 months ago and the rears were turned in February of this year. My brother in law is a professional mechanic with his own brake lathe, and I watched as he turned them in his garage. The only thing I can think of is to pull out my dial indicator and check the runout on the fronts, just to make sure.

98eldo32v is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next

Swap the rotors and pads.

knotgoalie is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 DHS, 99 F150 4x4 SCAB

Quote Originally Posted by 98eldo32v View Post
    Swap the rotors and pads.
    ...and as long as its apart, give the hubs a look too.

J.R.

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Tie rod ends?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Is it vibrating or pulsing? Big difference. These cars do tend to pulse. I've gone through it several times. It's caused by uneven brake pad deposits on the rotors so the brakes seem to grab, release, grab, release etc, etc. Many people will mistakenly call it "warped" rotors which is incorrect because rotors are cast iron and don't warp, but I digress. Have them trued up and the problem will go away (if it is pulsing), OR you can do what I just did a week ago. Ride the brake for about 1/2 mile or so. I rode it hard enough that it would not shift out of 2nd gear. That heated the rotors and scrubbed them clean. She now stops smoothly. DO NOT stop afterwards. You want to keep driving long enough to give them a chance to cool down.

purelux is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 deville
    Yup ranger is right I tried this after my new rotors started acting up and much improvement. I did the 60-20 stop a couple times on desolate highway then cool down tho. Only because of the way lights/stops are around me other way wasn't practical.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.