95 deville fuel level question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 95 deville fuel level question in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Over the past few weeks my fuel amount and range has gone plum stupid. Readings are inconsistent and constantly lower ...
    SuperMidget is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 base Deville

95 deville fuel level question

Over the past few weeks my fuel amount and range has gone plum stupid. Readings are inconsistent and constantly lower than they should be but I was reading that is fairly common. I filled up a few days ago and it told me 18 gal and 280 range on a fully topped off tank.

My question really is how accurate is the fuel used reading? According to my gauge i went from a full tank to 2 gal remaining in just a couple days, but my fuel used shows 9.6 gal used which going 55ish miles per day round trip for work plus around town i should be around 160-170 miles on this tank so far I think.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 95 deville fuel level question

The fuel used calculations are extremely accurate. Injector duty cycle and pulse times are used to do that calculation. The fuel level sender, on the pump module in the tank, can either just plain fail or develop sulfur deposits on the resistance wiper strip.

Maybe, just maybe, a fill up with a Top Tier gasoline (Google it) and a 20 oz. jug of Chevron TECHRON would clean the level sender. Otherwise it's fuel tank removal and pump module replacement. Look in RockAuto for your car, year, model, fuel/air. The entire pump module is about the same price as a level sender alone.

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the quick answer. I could only find info on the sender searching this morning but nothing on the fuel used. At least I know I can semi track my fuel level with 1 of the options while I sort out the sender issues

If you have the DIC message options for Fuel used, Range, and Average MPG you can do some pretty close figuring on your own.

The Average function, if left to its own devices, will use a LOT of data points of a LOT of driving conditions to come up with a long term average........ and, because it is long term you won't see radical changes in average very quickly - it takes time to move the average.

IF
    you were to fill up, reset all the fuel calculations and immediately get on the Interstate for a one-hour run at speed you will see the long term average tick up to the car's best mpg at speed. Say 25 mpg, for argument. At the end of the 1 hour drive you get off the Interstate and are stuck in a massive traffic jam for 1 hour. Your mpg is then 0 - and your long-term average for the 2 hours of engine time is - 12.5 mpg.

basscatt is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMidget View Post
    That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the quick answer. I could only find info on the sender searching this morning but nothing on the fuel used. At least I know I can semi track my fuel level with 1 of the options while I sort out the sender issues
    --------------------------
    At least I know I can semi track my fuel level
    with 1 of the options while I sort out the sender issues

I agree the FUEL USED is very accurate -

HOWEVER - FUEL USED is only determined by
    how much fuel has gone through the fuel injectors -

any fuel lost through a leak - ANY type of leak -
    will NOT be accounted for by the FUEL USED monitor -

I filled up Friday afternoon, gauges read 2 gal. Range around 40 miles, it only took 9 gallons to fill it up. Gauges changed to 18 gal and 280 range.

I reset all the average mpg, gal used, average speed. Only thing I forgot was the trip counter. Drove to work 3 days all highway and a little around town for what should be around 200 rough ball park.

Leaving work today showed 2 gal level and 40 range, 10.2 gal used, drove 26 miles and when I got back in after picking up one of my kids it was at low range, low fuel flashing, and 11.4 gallons used total now

You have more problems than a simple fuel level sender fault. Pull the diagnostic trouble codes from your car's built-in code scanner memory system.

That 4.9 engine should do better than that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.