97 Deville No power to fuel pump
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 97 Deville No power to fuel pump in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello, This is my first Cadillac and my first post so any help will be appreciated. I recently bought a ...
    Bigbear40215 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 97 deville

Post 97 Deville No power to fuel pump

Hello,

This is my first Cadillac and my first post so any help will be appreciated. I recently bought a deville and I am not getting any power to the fuel pump. The car started fine then suddenly died.
    battery level was low jumped the car. Got good power but no start.
    Checked volatge 12v at battery.
    Checked codes no codes.
    checked info center and no problems mentioned.
    Lstened for fuel pump and got excited no pump turning on. Got a new pump still no power to pump.
    Also checked fuses for pump in trunk, underhood 20a and 50a all test good with test light.
    Checked wiring at pump have white, purp, big black, and orange and white. No pwer to any in any key position.
    Checked relay getting 2 clicks one at on and one at run still no power.
    checked to see if theft system light wa on no light.

If I am getting power to each fuse from front to back it means that I am getting power back there at least to the last fuse right? Stumped my next step is to check ICM and coils per a decent mechanic but I had 3 guys I know who work on cars look at it any suggestions on what may be the issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 97 Deville No power to fuel pump

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbear40215 View Post
    Got good power but no start.
    Checked volatge 12v at battery.
    Attached Images

Thank you for welcoming me.
    I found the issue with the car and it was not the fuel pump or any other module or sensor. When I purchased the car the owner had recently had a oil change and when he got low on oil he just added oil instead of taking it back to the auto service center. I didn't know the car was leaking oil because of where it was leaking the oil was leaking from the oil filter. The oil filter was loose and when the car gets low on oil past a certain point it activates a kill switch that deactivates power to the fuel pump. After raising the oil pressure the car will reactivate the fuel pump circuit. Of course Im glad this feature is on this car.

I know GM used to tie the fuel pump to oil pressure (not quantity) many, many moons ago, but I thought they stopped doing that (cost me a motor once).

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    There is no relation between oil pressure and fuel pump operation.

Good point took the car to mechanic he charged the battery instead of jumping it and it started right up for him and now I get home go to start the car a week later and it will turn over and start but wont stay running. Now I am irritated because the car runs good rides good. Plugged up my battery charger to the battery and wont go past 12 volts was told by mechanic that this car wont start unless I have 13 to 14 volts of cranking going to it and he said I should not try to jump it. What the heck is going on here? Any suggestions ever heard of any concerns like this? The only code I am getting is the intake air temp code no other codes listed on the onboard computer. I am going to have the battery tested tomorrow and maybe the alternator but I would really like to get on the road without overpaying a mechanic.

----------

Before the battery started to die it would crank and turn over but acted like it was starving for gas again not sure where the concern is but Im going back under the hood again.

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    Kids car had no start issue. Tried to jump it using cables and it wouldn't crank. Than I used a booster pack and it started. Kids car has + aux post on shock tower. We connected booster cable to that post. Took off battery terminals later and bolt threads were full of corrosion. Battery may have been in situation of not being charged for awhile due to poor connections? Battery is/was old so we put in new one and I replaced both terminal bolts. No more issues. Alt is fine. Puts out proper voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbear40215 View Post
    I get home go to start the car a week later and it will turn over and start but wont stay running.
    Have you checked the fuel pressure? Cleaned the TB?

checked pressure at schrader valve on fuel rail nothing at all. Brand new fuel pump just installed. Did the same thing the other day No fuel pressure. Installed the new pump less than a week ago been doing fine now no pressure at rail on top of motor. THe only difference is that I got a ice possible message this time.going to check for pressure coming in to the rail to see if maybe the fpr is bad bought a new battery because the other battery was 9 years old and wasnt holding a charge well.

----------

I thought I had tackled this issue with new pump must be missing something not getting any codes at all except I got a iat code fixed it and now noway to know where the issue is.

----------

Is there anything electronic that would cause this issue or is this a parts issue? I thought I would get a code thrown if there was not enough fuel pressure at the rail?

A bad FPR would not cause zero fuel pressure. I assume you are checking the pressure at key on?

Fuel pressure and fuel pump are not monitored so you will not get any warning messages or DTC's.

OK didnt know that. headed back out to check pressure to fuel rail need special line disconnect tool to remove fuel line coming from fuel filter to rail. Should I only look at the 3/8 line or should I look at both?

stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 03 STS
    U check fuel pressure at schrader valve fitting on fuel rail

Yes I checked the pressure at rail not even a drip when nozzle depressed listening for pump not hearing a whirring sound either smae thing happend a week ago changed fuel pump. Just got back with disconnects for fuel line fitting at filter and fuel rail entry point will update shortly.
    Is it possible that this is some sort of security feature I am not getting a security light though.

There is no need to disconnect any fuel lines. If you get no fuel from the schreader valve with the key on, then the pump is not operating. "Your mission, should you decide to accept it", is to figure out why. Start by seeing if you have current to the pump at key on. Remember, the PCM only supplies current for 2-3 seconds if no crank signal is seen. If not current, then check the fuse and relay (I think there is a relay involved).

ok went back and ensured key was on before hitting schrader valve and nothing came out.
    Checked all fuses under hood and swapped relays
    checked fuses in trunk all where good
    is there another fuse somewhere or some other possibility than dropping the tank again

----------

Im going to have someone else listen for the fuel pump to see if I just missed it how loud shold it be because I never really heard it come on to begin with thats the hard part

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.