Deville may go rear drive
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Deville may go rear drive in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just read in automotive news that GM recently discussed the idea of bringing the DTS back to rear drive. ...
    LymanSS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Deville may go rear drive

I just read in automotive news that GM recently discussed the idea of bringing the DTS back to rear drive. At NADA show (which was a week or two ago) they told dealers that they may revert to rear drive in 2007. Prior to this announcement they had been saying that they wanted to keep the Deville front drive, while the rest of the line goes to rear drive. The logic behind this was that the Deville constitutes the majority of Cadillac's present sales. Keeping the Deville front drive would help prevent alienation of their older customer base, which has grown accustomed to front drive. The Seville, CTS, and SRX would be responsible for building the "New" cadillac image, and competing with cars from BMW, Lexus, and Audi. For some reason their minds may have changed. Perhaps it was the lack of a suitable front drive chassis? I don't know if there would be anything for the Deville to share a platform with. There's no more aurora or riviera. Maybe the Park avenue, and maybe the bonneville. The STS will be on the Sigma platform, which is rear drive. In any case, the high luxury market presently demands V8 engines, and rear wheel drive. I think pandering to their geriatric audience would be a bad move. Most forward thinking customers right now are willing to make the shift from front to rear drive, in exchange for the handling and performance benefits. Beyond that, they really can't put more than 300 hp to the road with a front drive setup, and in order to remain competetive, the Deville will need more power in the next decade.

Scott

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dead Sled is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I love to see a STS Rear drive, or any thing rear drive for that matter

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    Are there any conversions that are reasonable to convert a northstar to RWD?

Well there was the mosler twin star. It had a second northstar in the back, powering the rear wheels. That's 600 hp, all wheel drive. Although it was a bit heavy. I believe a fully dressed northstar is close to 500 lbs. Anyway, 0-60 was supposed to be about four seconds with 1/4 mile in the 12's. No trunk of course, but whatever I don't know if they make those anymore though. I think Mosler is mostly focused on the MT900 now.

Scott

Yeah ive heard about the twinstar.

Car and Driver on Twinstar

thought ya might enjoy that

I have read lots of information on that, and have concluded that it really isnt as good as they say. But, it still would be cool to say that you have a car with TWO engines. Dont see that too often

push me pull me cars I was never fond of, too much to get exactly right

Right, and beside the fact that there is a 300hp in the back and a 275 in the front. That could really mess up the front engine.

Rear Wheel Drive Forever

rock on!

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
    Cadillac needs to keep atleast one car FWD. There's a market for it... They can't just abandon the market. What about people up North who want FWD Caddy's? I guess they go elsewhere?

Keep the Eldo FWD heritage and all the others go back to RWD

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
    Not a bad idea.. Bring back the Eldorado and keep the name and FWD...

No, no no....the answer my friends is AWD As the SRX demonstrates, the sigma platform is capable of being AWD. This means that the upcomming STS could in fact be awd capable. That should more than satisfy the northerners If they make the Deville on that platform (which they discussed for a while) then it could be available with AWD too. Audi is exclusively awd, mercedes is starting to offer it on everything, and BMW has it on the three series, and maybe more cars in the future. I see it's popularity growning in the future, and I think Cadillac should start offering all wheel drive options on their sedans. Doesn't it make sense?

Scott

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.