Deville may go rear drive - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Deville may go rear drive in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Perfect sense. Make it RWD and then you can engage AWD, like in Audi Quattros. Audi isnt exlusively AWD, just ...
    elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    Perfect sense. Make it RWD and then you can engage AWD, like in Audi Quattros.

Audi isnt exlusively AWD, just in quattro models, which is offered on everything, so you were kind of right.

HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
    Originally posted by elwesso
    Make it RWD and then you can engage AWD, like in Audi Quattros.

Audi isnt exlusively AWD, just in quattro models, which is offered on everything, so you were kind of right.
    The Audi's are FWD if they don't have AWD. One of the main differences between AWD and 4WD, is that there is no need to engage it.

Dead Sled is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I dunno AWD would have to be in the right kinda caddy. they all to big for AWD right now and ant that "sporty" like the Audi Quatros

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
    All I know is, it looks stupid seeing a nice, big, brand new Cadillac stuck in the snow. Same goes for a BMW 750.. Rear wheel drive and stuck in the snow.. That's ridiculous.. People don't go spending $50k - $70k on a car to get stuck...

IM not driving a $70 K car in the snow!

Me either...

I know that on my aunts old audi, she could engage and disengage the AWD via a button on the dash. It was RWD (i think, this was a long time ago), and then AWD when you pressed the button.

HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
    I think I read that the upcoming Subaru WRX Sti will let you adjust the bias between front and rear. It's been that way in Japan for a few years. So the Audi may have had a switch like that.

maybe.....

that is a cool feature

LymanSS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    The Audis used to have the option of engaging or disengagine the all wheel drive. That was back in the eighties. Now most of them (TT excluded) use a torsen differential in the center, and electronically controlled lockers in the front and rear. The system is engaged all the time, and is virtually un-detectable. The Torsen automatically shunts power to the front or rear (whichever can make most use of it) and the lockers lock if one wheel starts slipping. I was slightly off when I said it was on all their cars. It's an option on the TT. And the A4 can be had without it as well. But I think the A6 and A8 always have it. As for cadillacs being too big for awd (who mentioned that?) the A8L is a big car. It's got all wheel drive, and it's a serious advantage in the snow, and during spirited driving. There's a myth that only little econoboxes (like the WRX) deserve AWD. But big cars like cadillacs need it even more, because we need to put a lot of power to the ground in order to get these cars moving. I would love to see a system like Audi's quattro available on Cadillacs.

Scott

GM doesnt really have a AWD system that could be applicable to cadillac. It would be cool, but i dont forsee it happening.

LymanSS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    It's not really that complicated. Just three differentials and some electronics. Or throw in a torsen and lose half the electronics. There are a lot of options, and it's really not that complex. But beside that point, let me remind you of the upcomming SRX. It's based on the sigma platform, and it's all wheel drive. That's the same platform as the CTS, the nexts STS, and it's been proposed for the next deville. Which means they actually do have an all wheel drive system that could be applicable to cadillac. Isn't life good?

Scott

Jinx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V estate

Please Cadillac, let 'em die.

When Cadillac says they don't want to alienate their older buyers, what they mean is not that older buyers are accustomed to FWD, but that older buyers don't like change, period; that older buyers aren't demanding a new model; and that Cadillac can continue to sell the same old DeVille in respectable numbers to those oldsters even if it's not competitive on paper -- as long as dealers are willing to send them out to get that awful fake convertible roof glued on. "Core customers" just want to know if it's Loaded. It might as well be a Stutz Blackhawk IV-Porte.

http://members.fortunecity.com/stutzblackhawk/eiv80ld.htm

Last month I saw a white CTS in full geriatric trim -- whitewall tires, brass badges and exhaust, beige interior, and beige fabric top with ribs and snaps.

The doctor says he can remove the eye bandages next week.

.Jinx

MarkZ28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 92 Sedan Deville, the crapolac pimpmobile.

Re: Deville may go rear drive

Eldorado started out as a RWD car then switched to FWD when the Olds Toronado came out in the 60's.
    Yes, old thread back from the dead, lol. It is halloween season, zombie threads.

13ir14314 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2002 DHS, 1967 Eldorado
    It may be an old thread but wow this was a lot of fun to read. It's very interesting to go back and read what we thought would happen but know already what happened. The Eldorado went FWD in 67. However it's a rather strange system from anything we have today with the tranny sitting next to the engine and not being transversly mounted.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.