No start when been driven awhile
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, No start when been driven awhile in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just got a new to me 1990 DeVille. Today was first time it was driven multiple times. It did not ...
    sammer4u is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1990 DeVille Coupe

No start when been driven awhile

Just got a new to me 1990 DeVille. Today was first time it was driven multiple times. It did not start after being warm. The starter did not turn over, got a clicking sound. Tried to jump it and it took numerous attempts. Finally got it to start drove home, shut it off and tried to restart. No start. Let it sit for two hours and now it started. Is the starter junk? How can I check starter or can I? What else should I check? Thought maybe alternator but if it started no problem after sitting that's not the problem at least I doubt it is? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

amunderdog is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1995 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9

Re: No start when been driven awhile

Heat soaked starter is a possibility.
    http://www.roddingroundtable.com/tec...s/heatsoak.php

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Yep sounds like heat soak either starting or even the cables themselves. when those old wires get hot there's too much resistance. Even just bad or corroded cables can cause it.

DEVIL~le is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Deville
    Using a good set of jumper cables
    Not the $20
    Try bypassing the ground from battery to any bare metal on the engine of no different response.
    Do the same to positive to the positive cable connection on starter.
    If you turn the key in either setup an same response replace starter

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

I once had the same problem. Drove me nuts. Turned out be a heat soaked solenoid as mentioned. Tucked up under the exhaust manifold it would get hot, internal contact would expand and break contact, thus no start until it cooled down and contracted. I can't recall if I replaced the starter AND solenoid or just the solenoid, but it solved the problem. I think I even fabricated a heat shield for it to prevent a future occurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL~le View Post
    Using a good set of jumper cables
    Not the $20
    Try bypassing the ground from battery to any bare metal on the engine of no different response.
    Do the same to positive to the positive cable connection on starter.
    If you turn the key in either setup an same response replace starter
    I am not sure I understand your thoughts, Your saying I should remove the negative cable from the battery (or starter?) and use the jumper cable to connect to the frame or motor. For the positive am I removing the positive cable on the starter? Just trying to make sense and clear up my thoughts on your suggestion before I try it.

----------

After doing some work on the car yesterday, I have found the following. I took the car for a test ride for about 10 minutes got back and tried to start it and nothing. Just a click as if the battery was dead, but it was not as everything else worked lights, radio, all power came on battery tested good. I went to start it at 10 minutes, 20 minutes and same thing. After 1 hour it started. Took for another test run and went about 5 - 10 minutes again got back, nothing again. Everything powered up except for no start. Let sit for 1 hour and it started. Let it idle a bit check over a few things shut down and no start. One last try for the day, started after an hour of sitting and shut it down, did not let idle but 30 seconds, shut it down and it started up. But the third try it did not.

Before I start tearing into this a bit further, thinking more and more that it is the solenoid or starter, which should I check out first? Any suggestions on simple quick tests without diving into it. Looks tight and a few things will need to be removed. That is part of the reason I did not tear into it yesterday, was not able to dedicate all my time to it as I had winter projects to wrap up outside. I will start to investigate but looking for some quick checks to rule certain things out. Probably would not be a bad idea to replace both anyhow as it seems those two items are part of the issue over the years?

Thanks for the great advice so far to this new Caddy owner.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with floor shift)

Before I start tearing into this a bit further, thinking more and more that it is the solenoid or starter, which should I check out first?
    Considering its age, just replace both.

Just a quick note, found out the battery was the issue. I was originally told it was a new battery a year old if that. My voltmeter for whatever reason was not giving me accurate readings (battery issue go figure). After researching the battery, it turns out to be a 2005 battery. New battery installed and it now starts on command. Now it change the fluids, belts, hoses, etc.

After tinkering a bit, turns out the front fender needs some help. Anyone know of any aftermarket installs?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.