Best Technical Reference
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, Best Technical Reference in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just wondering what the consensus is here for technical references. Would an alldata diy subscription work for a home mechanic/hobbyist? ...
    markmnj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1973 Cadillac Hearse, 2002 Cadillac DHS

Best Technical Reference

Just wondering what the consensus is here for technical references. Would an alldata diy subscription work for a home mechanic/hobbyist? Or is a factory service manual better?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Best Technical Reference

I use both - the GM service manual lives on the shop bench, Alldata lives in this laptop.

The GM manuals have a final edition date of 02/2002. Alldata is updated periodically, especially the TSBs and recall info.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I think alldata is basically an online version of the FSM (with TSB's, recalls and updates). Sub can confirm that.

scooter500 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 sedan deville

I like the factory manuals and was able to get both factory manuals on ebay w/ shipping for $40. They are much better than the Haynes, although it's a nice quick reference and has some general advice that is handy. Not sure what version the alldata is at my bro-in-law's shop, but it's handy for the pros (which I'm not).

ddalder is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-4 N* 1SG

It depends on what you want and what you're going to be doing. Anything more involved, I'll spend $20 for three days of access to the same information that GM dealerships use. All the bulletins there are as up to date as is available from any source. If you want something ongoing, something like ALLDATA is probably better from a cost perspective. I've never been crazy about their system because of how it's organized, some difficulty in locating information because of how I'm used to seeing it organized and some information that doesn't seem available at all. Again, it all depends on what you want. Most of my past projects have involved taking options from other GM vehicles and installing them into my car(s). With the $20/3 days, I can access ALL GM's vehicles so this helps my research and project success enormously. With the other online services (ALLDATA, etc), you get access to one make/model/year and any others are an addition fee per vehicle.

I always consider the information available to GM dealers and technicians to be the 'Gold' standard, however this standard is not always necessary.

The site BTW is www.acdelcotds.com

markmnj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1973 Cadillac Hearse, 2002 Cadillac DHS

Thanks, I'll go with both but start with ALLDATA b/c I can have some new info to soak up upon subscribing. I agree with the Haynes manuals not being useful. I've had a few over the years and cannot imagine them being of any use for a modern Caddy. The first reference to Chilton/Haynes I saw on here was a member telling anther to use them to soak up spilled fluids. A good thing I wasn't eating or drinking anything when I read that or I would have choked

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.