DTS vs XTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, DTS vs XTS in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i currently drive a 99 DeVille. considering moving to something newer. Is there anyone on this forum who has driven ...
    faty cady is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 DeVille, 1999 DeVille

DTS vs XTS

i currently drive a 99 DeVille. considering moving to something newer.
    Is there anyone on this forum who has driven either the DeVille or DTS and could discuss some of the differences between the DTS & XTS?

I couldn't play on the offensive line of an NFL team today, but I could have 20 yrs ago.

anxious to read comments,
    faty cady

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CadillacLuke24 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Alexandra - 96 SDV

Re: DTS vs XTS

DTS is newer DeVille with "somewhat more thrifty" build materials, or so I've heard. Haven't driven one. I love their looks.

XTS

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

The difference between XTS and DTS are staggering. They share 4 doors. That's where it ends there. I'll break it down a little bit:

XTS: Standard 3.6L V6 with 305 horsepower. Option is new Twin Turbo 3.6L V6 w/ 410hp. It's a monster. Standard V6 is adequate. DTS: Standard 4.6L LD8 Northstar V8 w/ 3.11 gear ratio. 275hp. Option is L37 Northstar V8 w/ 3.71 gear ratio. 291hp. XTS has standard 6 speed transmission. Standard FWD optional AWD. DTS has 4 speed automatic and FWD only.

XTS uses newer Epsilon II platform based off Buick LaCrosse and Chevrolet Impala. Excellent stucture. DTS uses K-body platform shared with Cadillac Seville. A older but still very good structure. Both cars use Strut up front and Multilink independent rear suspensions. Both are equipped with load assist in rear. XTS has Magnetic Ride Control standard. DTS has option of Magnetic Ride Control.

XTS has four different trim levels: Base, Luxury, Premium and Platinum. I believe the later DTS' share the exact same levels. Equipment will vary.

XTS interior is very high quality and covered in wood and leather. CUE (Cadillac User Experience) is standard and hit or miss with some people. All touchscreen. I love it. DTS interior is nice but has cheap bits here and there. Pretty standard old school Cadillac interior not too much technology.

XTS ride is firmer than base Deville/DTS models. In my opinion the ride is much more akin to the Seville STS than Deville. DTS ride is stiffer than your Deville but still very soft and plush. XTS handles quite well for a big car. DTS handles like a boat. MRC helps DTS but it's still no match for XTS.

XTS is a bit of a smaller car than previous DTS models but will still fit 4 adults very comfortably. No bench seat offered. DTS is somewhat smaller than your Deville and 2000-2005 models but not noticeably so. Bench seat is an option.

I have had extensive seat time in Deville's (I own a 2004), DTS (driven 2x dozen at least) and XTS (driven 5 or 6) and it really depends on what your priorities are. If you are into tech and love a newer car design there is no beating the XTS. Best value is XTS Luxury at price of $52k. As fully loaded as you could ever want and plenty of standard tech. The DTS is a fantastic car but it's old. There isn't too much that separates the last gen Deville and DTS as far as design and power go. Cadillac got rid of the Deville name, spruced up the interior and exterior and did some suspension enhancements. Otherwise they are similar. With that being said I would choose a DTS over a last gen Deville and even an XTS. Prices have dropped tremendously and a nice '09 or '10 DTS Platinum is a $25k car. They ride great and have plenty of power in my opinion. They have much higher build quality than the last gen Deville and are typically more reliable in every way possible. Get the longest warranty you can and enjoy your choice.

faty cady is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 DeVille, 1999 DeVille

ryannel2003

thank you for your comprehensive answer.

what is considered the last gen DeVille..the beginning of the DTS marks the end of the DeVille?

with your wheel time in a DTS, do you believe that the oil consumption issue has been lessened?

IYHO, could a 6' 2" 265 lb man get nice & comfy for a 3 hr drive in an XTS?

Commercial with Shaq is not convincing, he looks crammed in there to me.

ryannel2003 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Honda Accord EX V6. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS

Quote Originally Posted by faty cady View Post
    ryannel2003

thank you for your comprehensive answer.

what is considered the last gen DeVille..the beginning of the DTS marks the end of the DeVille?

with your wheel time in a DTS, do you believe that the oil consumption issue has been lessened?

IYHO, could a 6' 2" 265 lb man get nice & comfy for a 3 hr drive in an XTS?

Commercial with Shaq is not convincing, he looks crammed in there to me.
    My friend is the owner of the local Cadillac dealership and drives an XTS Vsport. He is 6'6" and he says it one of the most comfortable cars he has ever driven. Loves the power and styling. The last generation of the Deville was from 2000-2005 and in '06 the DTS was introduced as a replacement. The '00-'05 Deville's have a trim level called Deville DTS which offered the L37 Northstar, CVRSS (Continuously Variable Road Sensing Suspension), all body color panels and removes the bench seat for a standard floor shifter setup. As far as the oil consumption it varies from car to car. My '04 Deville has a slight oil pan leak yet it doesn't use any oil between my 5k mile oil changes. It seems that every Northstar engine is different. My 2000 STS used 1 quart every 1500 miles.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.