96 Deville now throwing a P0171 and P0174 Codes.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 96 Deville now throwing a P0171 and P0174 Codes. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello Forum Friends. I posted before about my 1996 Deville Northstar 4.6. Replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator and now its ...
    ralphieboy57 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 DeVille

96 Deville now throwing a P0171 and P0174 Codes.

Hello Forum Friends. I posted before about my 1996 Deville Northstar 4.6. Replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator and now its throwing a P0171 (Fuel Trim System Lean,Bank 1) and a P0174 (Fuel Trim System Lean,Bank 1) codes. I looked through the Forum and found that its probably a cracked Throttle Body Plenum thus causing a vacuum leak. But I just read that the 1996 Northstar 4.6 motor dosn't apply to this. Ive checked the vacuum hoses and intake manifold but no leaks that I can detect. Were would be the best place to start troubleshooting? Is there a step process I should follow?

I love my Deville but need it to pass smog so I can get my registration straightened out. So far Ive replaced the plugs and plug wires, air cleaner, fuel pressure regulator, and cleaned the throttle body out, oh and new front motor mounts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: 96 Deville now throwing a P0171 and P0174 Codes.

WOW! I could read that without my cheaters.

Have you checked the manifold over pressurization valve in the tunnel behind the P/S pump? If it is not seated or the seal is damaged it will cause a vacuum leak.

No I Havent. I will go check it now.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

You'll need to listen carefully with a mechanic's stethoscope to find the vacuum leak(s). If it is the overpressure valve, the intake manifold must be removed.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=cadillac+forums...ld+removal&l=1

basscatt is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 89 Coupe DeVille, 95 Sedan DeVille, 03 SLS, two 02 DHS's

you have a big vacuum leak somewhere -

get a can of carb cleaner - attach the straw -
    spray it around all intake gaskets and hoses -

when the idle speed increases - you found a leak -

Just letting you guy know you were right..... Its the Backfire Valve in the intake manifold. Big leak!. I have the intake out but where did you purchase the part at. Autozone and Pep Boys don't have it listed. And how much did it cost yah. Thanks

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Talk to Chris in Parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>> tomorrow morning, business hours, EST (Wilmington, NC)

Meanwhile look at your car, year model, engine, system in www.gmpartsgiant.com . Once you get to the correct parts text page you can click on the More Info tab to open a diagram keyed to the text page.

Also - take a long, hard look at that PCV dirty air line - those rubber elbows rot out and crack with great regularity. Better safe than sorry. The Help! racks at large parts stores. If the plastic formed line is cracked, you can replace it with a proper length of reinforced fuel hose.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.