2000 Deville Starter is stuck, Help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac DeVille 1985 to 2005 including:
1985-1992 Fleetwood, 1993 Sixty Special, All FWD Forum Discussion, 2000 Deville Starter is stuck, Help in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 2000 Deville DHS with a starting problem. My starter starts the engine and then keeps going and ...
    bkk.bob is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Deville DHS

Question 2000 Deville Starter is stuck, Help

I have a 2000 Deville DHS with a starting problem. My starter starts the engine and then keeps going and won't stop. Turning the key off doesn't stop it, it just keeps going. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to quit. When I reconnect the battery, the starter starts up with the key on or off. The engine starts ok but the starter won't stop. Is this a starter, or solenoid or relay problem and how do I get the starter to disengage?? I looked at the relays in the fuse box, they looked ok.
    I've looked at over 90 threads looking for a like problem but no luck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mafiaman111 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Eldorado 173000 miles Black on Black

Re: 2000 Deville Starter is stuck, Help

Have you checked for a short because I have seen this once before in a chevy silverado they could not figure out why the starter would keep going and turns out the plate that protected the started from debris had moved and made contract with the body of the truck and shorted it

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I've seen this happen on a car with a weak battery! Not enough voltage to disengage the starter relay. I've also seen this happen if the start and run wires at the electrical ignition switch come together either in the switch contacts or the 2 wires melt together.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    It doesn't take any power to disengage a relay, it takes a lack of it.

Try swapping the relay first, it may just be sticking.

BTW,

Quote Originally Posted by Mafiaman111 View Post
    Have you checked for a short because I have seen this once before in a chevy silverado they could not figure out why the starter would keep going and turns out the plate that protected the started from debris had moved and made contract with the body of the truck and shorted it
    I can't get to the starter to look for a short, on this model it's supposed to be under the intake manifold, which is a major undertaking. I will try swapping out the Relay to see if that helps.

And I'm not sure how to check the Ignition switch. I will look to see what I have to do to remove it and look at the wiring. I've wiggled the key while the starter is going but that didn't do anything. I can shut the engine off by turning the key off but the starter keeps going and is trying to restart the engine, that's when I go and disconnect my battery.

Thanks for the replies. Bkk Bob

----------

Swapping the Relay didn't help. I've also checked the battery and it's OK too.

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I think you have a bad starter or maybe solenoid.

It's not as major a job as you think.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

The contact plate in the starter solenoid (on the side of the starter) is probably "welded" to the contacts. Not common, but it does happen. When the IGN start voltage from the key switch drops out, the solenoid does not pull off, thus keeping the starter itself running. The Bendix drive should disengage the pinion, but the motor will run all the time because the battery-starter positive cable is hot at all times.

Intake manifold removal down in Tech Tips, or Google "cadillac forums 2000 deville intake manifold removal".

Thanks for all the help from everyone. Now at least I have a good idea of how to fix the starter problem. The battery checked out OK too. I will go after the starter now...

Bkk.Bob

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.